This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Our Numbers Are Slipping

Mom23boys

blueeyedmanda Community Regular

I am off to do some more voting from my work computer now. :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jkmunchkin Rising Star
I would hope the magazine would have a lot of substantial, cutting-edge information and not just glitzy ads. I recently subscribed to Martha Stewart Living and was extremely disappointed with the first issue I received. It has very little practical, useable content and a TON of ads.

I can't speak much towards the content, but I doubt Martha Stewart would be disappointed to hear the magazine had a ton of ads. That is how the magazines make their money, not from the subscriptions. You need the subscriptions (and newstand sales) in order to entice advertisers, but your $14 subscription is not what makes money for them. Although, like I said, you need one in order to get the other.

And there should be an ad / edit ratio. Based on ad page forecasts, editorial should plan how many pieces / pages they are going to run. Maybe just the topics in that issue didn't interest you and that's why the ads seemed so overwhelming.

Lisa Mentor

Ahhh...yes, they did take down the percentages. This way Martha can choose which ever magazine she chooses to do and not by popular vote.

I am sorry to damper the enthusiasm here, but I don't trust that woman and have no faith in her integrity. :angry:

confused Community Regular
Ahhh...yes, they did take down the percentages. This way Martha can choose which every magazine she chooses to do, and not by popular vote.

I am sorry to damper the enthusiasm here, but I don't trust that woman and have no faith in her integrity. :angry:

Oh i agree with you. I was thinking this the other day, i really doubt she would have this magazine anyway cause of all the drama with her daughter a few months ago with her talk show and celiac. She is going to pick whatever one she wants she dont care what we have to say lol. I will keep voting jsut because tho, but im afraid to see which one she will pick in the end.

paula

hayley3 Contributor

I thought the same thing at first, but Martha is a business woman. She's gonna go where the market is, and there is definitely a market for a food magazine for allergies, etc.

jkmunchkin Rising Star
Oh i agree with you. I was thinking this the other day, i really doubt she would have this magazine anyway cause of all the drama with her daughter a few months ago with her talk show and celiac. She is going to pick whatever one she wants she dont care what we have to say lol. I will keep voting jsut because tho, but im afraid to see which one she will pick in the end.

paula

That's why I posted the other day that it will take a lot more than a few votes on a blog to get this magazine published. It take millions and millions of dollars to make a publication of her quality; and a bunch of votes is not going to be the deciding factor. It will entice them to do more market research and find out if this truly is a real market and worth investing in, but this alone is not going to do it.

Ahhh...yes, they did take down the percentages. This way Martha can choose which ever magazine she chooses to do and not by popular vote.

From the begining I was a little weary of the percentages. They would always drop during the times I would check in. Another member explained it has to do with how things are calculated but that didnt make sense to me.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

home-based-mom Contributor
Did my daily vote at 5 AM today and have to report that the site no longer gives a percentage of each category of votes....somehow someway they must be on this forum noticing that we're talking about the vote percentages and they took that part of their site.....

As to the pets - there are a couple of great magazines already out there: Dog Fancy and Cat Fancy magazines which do an excellent job already. I wonder if there are more gluten free people than pets in this country?

If they *are* on this forum then hopefully they will look around and see what so many people have to deal with on an every day basis. Remember that a successful business does not find a good product and then try to get people to buy it. A successful business finds a need and fills it. ;)

Martha *is* a successful business woman.

Mom23boys Contributor
Did my daily vote at 5 AM today and have to report that the site no longer gives a percentage of each category of votes....somehow someway they must be on this forum noticing that we're talking about the vote percentages and they took that part of their site.....

This isn't the only forum talking about it!! Every allergy/sensitivity forum I'm on is buzzing about it. I've even peeped into some I am no longer active in and they are discussing it.

Mom23boys Contributor

I too will have to question her integrity if the mag doesn't win and some princess pup thing does. It didn't even cross my mind until the % were taken down.

Mango04 Enthusiast
From the begining I was a little weary of the percentages. They would always drop during the times I would check in. Another member explained it has to do with how things are calculated but that didnt make sense to me.

Percentages can drop if another category suddenly has a higher percentage of the vote. That can happen even if we have more votes than we did previously.

I too will have to question her integrity if the mag doesn't win and some princess pup thing does. It didn't even cross my mind until the % were taken down.

Hey I still have hope! :P Maybe they are just having trouble with the software, or maybe...hmmm...there's some other explanation (?)

Lisa Mentor
Percentages can drop if another category suddenly has a higher percentage of the vote. That can happen even if we have more votes than we did previously.

Hey I still have hope! :P Maybe they are just having trouble with the software, or maybe...hmmm...there's some other explanation (?)

Hope is good. I'll keep hoping :D

Green12 Enthusiast
Maybe they are just having trouble with the software, or maybe...hmmm...there's some other explanation (?)

I am thinking the response from the food allergy/intolerance community has been so overwhelming that we crashed the system :lol:

Judyin Philly Enthusiast
I am thinking the response from the food allergy/intolerance community has been so overwhelming that we crashed the system :lol:

:lol: MAYBE WHO KNOWS BUT I HAVE NO..........NO............QUESTION IN MY MIND THAT THEY ARE CHECKING OUR FORUM. THEY DID IT BEFORE ON WITH THE DAUGHTERS ISSUES.......THEY SAID "THEY READ ON A FOURM" SO GUESS IT ALL DEPENDS ON WHAT MARTHA DECIDES TO DO. I THINK TAKING DOWN THE PRECENTAGES SHOWS ALOT ABOUT THE WOMAN........

AS FOR THE ADDS.....WEL THEY MIGHT DIG UP MORE VENDORS WE DON'T EVEN KNOW ABOUT --SO IT WILL BE EASIER FOR US TO FIND NEW PRODUCTS.......BUT I'M LIKE MOMMA GOOSE.........DON'T TRUST HER ONE BIT.............BUT I'LL BUY THE MAGAZINE IF IT HELPS ME AND IS EXCELLENT QUALITY AND SOMETHING I CAN USE.

I don't trust her either, never did though. I would buy the magazine but I would like the content to be good too.

jerseyangel Proficient

I don't know--I could be completely off-base here, but the first thing I thought when I noticed the percentages were gone was--here we go again....another company ignoring the gluten-free issue. Now they can say anything they want about the outcome of the vote.

I hope I'm wrong :) I'd be first in line to subscribe, though, if this should ever happen.

cruelshoes Enthusiast

I think they took the percentages down to build up anticipation for the announcement tomorrow. There would be no reason for us to watch the show if we all knew who won ahead of time. Have faith, grasshoppers.....

I personally would love it if it had tons of ads in it. I love to read about new products. And the more manufacturers see that there is money in it the more products they will make.

KEEP VOTING EVERYBODY!!!!

angel-jd1 Community Regular

Someone please post the results tomorrow!! (for those of us who are at work with no tv, but of course can check on here to see the results)

-Jessica :rolleyes:

I think they took the percentages down to build up anticipation for the announcement tomorrow. There would be no reason for us to watch the show if we all knew who won ahead of time. Have faith, grasshoppers.....

I personally would love it if it had tons of ads in it. I love to read about new products. And the more manufacturers see that there is money in it the more products they will make.

KEEP VOTING EVERYBODY!!!!

highrentsmile Rookie

I agree, I think it was for anticipations sake. They do i for all the shows that air with voting results, they want us to watch the show! And why not? Makes sense to me! I have faith, lets keep voting, there's no harm in it!

highrentsmile Rookie

PS. Results don't air until TUESDAY! :)

"Vote for your favorite idea as many times as you'd like (once per day) through Thursday, February 7. On Tuesday, February 12, Martha will announce the big winner live on "The Martha Stewart Show." Be sure to tune in to find out which idea Martha will be bringing to life. Select your favorite idea from the poll below:"

debmidge Rising Star
I don't know--I could be completely off-base here, but the first thing I thought when I noticed the percentages were gone was--here we go again....another company ignoring the gluten-free issue. Now they can say anything they want about the outcome of the vote.

I hope I'm wrong :) I'd be first in line to subscribe, though, if this should ever happen.

I thought this too...that it's all a staged gimmick and they never intended to follow the results of the poll in the first place. Doing a food allergy/intolerance magazine to them probably seems too complicated and now they want to back off by not showing the voting results each time a vote is cast - or their vote counting system can't count that high :D

All the ideas are nice ideas, but are not as important as food allergy/intolerance issues. Somehow I get the feeling that she's going to go with scapbooking.

Deb- you may be on to something. Scrapbooking is more up her alley in the crafty sense.

Lisa Mentor

Isn't there an area that you can write a little bit about why you voted for a certain topic. Perhaps we should back up our votes with the importance of why.

I'm going to do that shortly.

Judyin Philly Enthusiast

morning all

Lisa i went on and read the comments last nite.............i would guess that 95% are all for food allergies. Lots of really good documentated reasons.

gave me alot to think about. i thought of writing but went to bed......... :o:lol:

will be interesting to see how this turns out on the 12th

judy

Piesmom Apprentice
Isn't there an area that you can write a little bit about why you voted for a certain topic. Perhaps we should back up our votes with the importance of why.

I'm going to do that shortly.

Were you able to vote today? I can't find it!!!

Archived