20 replies to this topic

#1 highrentsmile

highrentsmile

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 11:59 AM

I want to make Gluten-free Casein-free red velvet cupcakes with white frosting for Valentines Day. I plan to pick up a white cake Gluten-free Casein-free mix and make my own frosting. However, I need red food dye and a Gluten-free Casein-free butter substitute for the mix and frosting. I was all excited because I though that Spectrum Organics oils were great (I eat mostly organic too) they even had cooking and baking tips on which products to use. But, now I find out they produce on the same lines as Wheat Germ! Ah! :( So, now I need to find a good, natural, preferably organic Gluten-free Casein-free butter substitute. I don't like the popular dairy free margarine sticks because all of the chemicals make me sick. So any ideas? Also, I have some frozen organic rasberries, can I just thaw some of those out and use the liquid for coloring the cupcakes? lol I have no clue! Help!?

PS. I tried substituting 1\4 cup vegatable oil for 1\2 cup of butter in a brownie mix and they turned out greasy and gross and they tasted like chemicals! I was such a good baker, before this gluten free stuff! :(
Emily- Diagnosed with Celiac in 2007, Gluten-free Casein-free/Organic Diet

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Mango04

Mango04

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 12:05 PM

Walnut oil is really amazing. It's great to bake with.

You can get natural red food dye at health food stores. Raspberries might work though.

I use Spectrum shortening all the time without any problems, but maybe coconut oil would work for frosting? You could use coconut oil in the baking mix as well.
"Let food be thy medicine, and let thy medicine be food." - Hippocrates

#3 highrentsmile

highrentsmile

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 12:14 PM

Walnut oil is really amazing. It's great to bake with.

You can get natural red food dye at health food stores. Raspberries might work though.

I use Spectrum shortening all the time without any problems, but maybe coconut oil would work for frosting? You could use coconut oil in the baking mix as well.

Thanks! Is there a specific brand you use? (Besides Spectrum)

#4 Mango04

Mango04

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 12:18 PM

Thanks! Is there a specific brand you use? (Besides Spectrum)

I'll have to check later on the coconut oil and let you know (the brand has slipped my mind :wacko: ) but most virgin organic unrefined coconut oils I've tried have worked really well for me in baking.

For walnut oil, there is another brand besides Spectrum...can't think of that one either LOL. Most health food stores should have it though. Coconut oil might be better if you're specifically trying to replace butter though, come to think of it...

#5 ruthla

ruthla

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 04:53 PM

Earth Balance is also a good butter substitute, in baking or as a spread.

We've been baking without artificial colors for years, even though I'm pretty new to gluten-free baking. I've never found a good all-natural substitute for bright red food coloring. I've found that beet juice works well if you want to make a light to medium pink, and grape juice makes a nice pale purple, but it's hard to get really strong natural colors without getting the flavors in there too, which isnt' always a good thing depending on the recipe!

Maybe make pink cupcakes instead of red ones?
Ruth, single mom to DD1, 14, DD2, 113, and DS, 7

Kosher, low carb (since 6/3/07), gluten free (since 11/15/07), dairy free, mostly legume (incl. soy) free since 2/7/08. Now on the Blood Type Diet (type O) which includes cutting out corn as well. I have fibromyalgia and this diet is helping me feel better.

#6 JNBunnie1

JNBunnie1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,326 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 05:49 PM

I want to make Gluten-free Casein-free red velvet cupcakes with white frosting for Valentines Day. I plan to pick up a white cake Gluten-free Casein-free mix and make my own frosting. However, I need red food dye and a Gluten-free Casein-free butter substitute for the mix and frosting. I was all excited because I though that Spectrum Organics oils were great (I eat mostly organic too) they even had cooking and baking tips on which products to use. But, now I find out they produce on the same lines as Wheat Germ! Ah! :( So, now I need to find a good, natural, preferably organic Gluten-free Casein-free butter substitute. I don't like the popular dairy free margarine sticks because all of the chemicals make me sick. So any ideas? Also, I have some frozen organic rasberries, can I just thaw some of those out and use the liquid for coloring the cupcakes? lol I have no clue! Help!?

PS. I tried substituting 1\4 cup vegatable oil for 1\2 cup of butter in a brownie mix and they turned out greasy and gross and they tasted like chemicals! I was such a good baker, before this gluten free stuff! :(

Just curious, did you find that out on the website?
If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill

#7 highrentsmile

highrentsmile

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 08:29 PM

Earth Balance is also a good butter substitute, in baking or as a spread.

We've been baking without artificial colors for years, even though I'm pretty new to gluten-free baking. I've never found a good all-natural substitute for bright red food coloring. I've found that beet juice works well if you want to make a light to medium pink, and grape juice makes a nice pale purple, but it's hard to get really strong natural colors without getting the flavors in there too, which isnt' always a good thing depending on the recipe!

Maybe make pink cupcakes instead of red ones?

Pink would be perfect! Where do you find beet juice? Is it in a big thing, and how much will color a cake? Thanks!

#8 highrentsmile

highrentsmile

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 06 February 2008 - 12:13 AM

Just curious, did you find that out on the website?

Find what out? lol Not sure what part you're looking at :)

#9 RiceGuy

RiceGuy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,520 posts

Posted 06 February 2008 - 03:58 AM

I'd go with the raspberry juice instead of beet juice. Just because raspberry frosting sounds better than beet frosting LOL. I've added raspberry juice to carrot juice, and the color is a very nice red. So you might try that too.

As for the coconut oil, that should work quite well, and give a wonderful flavor if you get the good coconut oil. I've never found a decent coconut oil without a high price, like about 12-16 bucks per pound. I have tried several brands of the cheaper ones, none of which are any good IMO. However, to each his/her own. Try a search for centrifuged coconut oil. That will turn up the good stuff, which is ONLY produced in Indonesia. I've only found two places online where this can be purchased, one of which offers a sample size, so you don't have to commit to a pound without knowing how good it is. I'd recommend getting that along with one of the cheap ones, and let your taste buds be the judge!

I just use shredded coconut, but I've read coconut flour is great for making cakes.
A spherical meteorite 10 km in diameter traveling at 20 km/s has the kinetic energy equal to the calories in 550,000,000,000,000,000 Twinkies.

#10 highrentsmile

highrentsmile

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 06 February 2008 - 12:16 PM

I'd go with the raspberry juice instead of beet juice. Just because raspberry frosting sounds better than beet frosting LOL. I've added raspberry juice to carrot juice, and the color is a very nice red. So you might try that too.

As for the coconut oil, that should work quite well, and give a wonderful flavor if you get the good coconut oil. I've never found a decent coconut oil without a high price, like about 12-16 bucks per pound. I have tried several brands of the cheaper ones, none of which are any good IMO. However, to each his/her own. Try a search for centrifuged coconut oil. That will turn up the good stuff, which is ONLY produced in Indonesia. I've only found two places online where this can be purchased, one of which offers a sample size, so you don't have to commit to a pound without knowing how good it is. I'd recommend getting that along with one of the cheap ones, and let your taste buds be the judge!

I just use shredded coconut, but I've read coconut flour is great for making cakes.

Thanks!

#11 JNBunnie1

JNBunnie1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,326 posts

Posted 06 February 2008 - 02:43 PM

Find what out? lol Not sure what part you're looking at :)

Sorry, that wasn't very clear. You said that Spectrum processes their oils on the same lines as wheat germ. Did you find that out on the website, or did someone tell you? I'm just curious because a lot of people on this board use Spectrum shortening, and I just bought some, and I'd like to know if it's safe. Noone else has said they have a problem with it.
If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill

#12 gf4life

gf4life

Our family "photo" as drawn by my daughter Hannah

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,634 posts

Posted 06 February 2008 - 03:36 PM

I am also curious about the spectrum CC issue. I use their shortening all the time when I bake and have never had any issues with it. I am also EXTREMELY sensitive and react very quickly to gluten.
~West Coast-Central California~

Mariann, gluten intolerant and mother of 3 gluten intolerant children

#13 Mango04

Mango04

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 06 February 2008 - 03:45 PM

I am also curious about the spectrum CC issue. I use their shortening all the time when I bake and have never had any issues with it. I am also EXTREMELY sensitive and react very quickly to gluten.

Me too. I know there are a lot of super sensitive reactors on here who use Spectrum. Maybe they recently changed their manufacturing practices?

#14 gf4life

gf4life

Our family "photo" as drawn by my daughter Hannah

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,634 posts

Posted 06 February 2008 - 04:07 PM

Okay, so I was concerned about this since this is the only shortening that I use and since I need to be soy free, Crisco is out! So I checked their website and below is the information on the site. Since it did not address the shorteing (or coconut oil question) I emailed them about it. I hope they get back to me soon. I will post their reply.

Are Spectrum products gluten-free?
Spectrumís culinary and essential oils share common filler equipment with our Wheat Germ Oil. Although gluten is found in seed fiber and not in seed oil, Spectrumís Wheat Germ Oil is raw and unrefined, and thus carries with it the possibility of minute or trace amounts of gluten in the oil. We take every precaution to prevent cross-contamination between oils, including comprehensive cleaning between the processing of each product.

Are Spectrum's Mayonnaise products gluten-free?
All of Spectrum's Mayonnaise and Mayonnaise products are gluten free, and our new labels are marked 'Gluten Free.'

While all of Spectrum's Mayonnaise and Mayo products contain white vinegar derived from corn and rye, the gluten is removed while distilling the alcohol. The mixture of grains - the mash - that has fermented is heated. The gluten stays in the tank while the alcohol is distilled and then rectified. Due to consumer inquiries, we also had a gluten analysis done and no gluten was found in the alcohol.

Do these oils share processing equipment with other oils? Does the plant that produces these oils also process any dairy, soy, peanuts, corn, gluten, wheat, or yeast ingredients?

Yes, our Artisan Oils do share the same equipment with other oils. These oils include soy, peanut, corn, wheat germ, canola, apricot, avocado, grapeseed, safflower, sunflower and walnut. However, to prevent possible cross-contamination, we flush our production lines after every oil run in accordance with correct manufacturing practices.

Which of the Premium Organic Dressings Gluten-Free?

Only Organic ProvenÁal Garlic Lover's and Rocky Mountain Ranch are gluten free.

Does Organic Essential Flaxseed contain gluten?

No, Organic Essential Flaxseed is gluten free.

~West Coast-Central California~

Mariann, gluten intolerant and mother of 3 gluten intolerant children

#15 highrentsmile

highrentsmile

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 06 February 2008 - 05:16 PM

Sorry I didn't get back to you guys sooner. I found the information on the website as well. It sounds like you're on top of it! :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: