20 replies to this topic

#16 JNBunnie1

JNBunnie1

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,326 posts

Posted 06 February 2008 - 05:18 PM

Okay, so I was concerned about this since this is the only shortening that I use and since I need to be soy free, Crisco is out! So I checked their website and below is the information on the site. Since it did not address the shorteing (or coconut oil question) I emailed them about it. I hope they get back to me soon. I will post their reply.

Hey, thanks!
If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 highrentsmile

highrentsmile

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 06 February 2008 - 05:18 PM

Sorry I didn't get back to you guys sooner. I found the information on the website as well. It sounds like you're on top of it! :)

PS. I went to Spectrum's FAQ's page and searched "gluten." It was kind of confusing.
Emily- Diagnosed with Celiac in 2007, Gluten-free Casein-free/Organic Diet

#18 gf4life

gf4life

Our family "photo" as drawn by my daughter Hannah

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,634 posts

Posted 06 February 2008 - 09:48 PM

I got a computer generated email stating that they will get to my questions asap, but it could be up to a week! Hopefully it will be sooner than a week.

I don't use their oils, and the way they word the information on the website makes me think it is only the oils and not the shortening, but we shall see what they say...
~West Coast-Central California~

Mariann, gluten intolerant and mother of 3 gluten intolerant children

#19 ruthla

ruthla

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 08:58 AM

Pink would be perfect! Where do you find beet juice? Is it in a big thing, and how much will color a cake? Thanks!

I usually buy canned beets and use a small amount of the liquid in the cake batter or icing. (I usually make yellow cakes and then color with icing instead.) I got the best color by buying fresh beets and juicing it myself, but it was a lot of work and mess to dig up my juicer just for that!
Ruth, single mom to DD1, 14, DD2, 113, and DS, 7

Kosher, low carb (since 6/3/07), gluten free (since 11/15/07), dairy free, mostly legume (incl. soy) free since 2/7/08. Now on the Blood Type Diet (type O) which includes cutting out corn as well. I have fibromyalgia and this diet is helping me feel better.

#20 highrentsmile

highrentsmile

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 11:41 AM

I usually buy canned beets and use a small amount of the liquid in the cake batter or icing. (I usually make yellow cakes and then color with icing instead.) I got the best color by buying fresh beets and juicing it myself, but it was a lot of work and mess to dig up my juicer just for that!

Lol, I see, well thank you! I think the canned would be easiest too! :)
Emily- Diagnosed with Celiac in 2007, Gluten-free Casein-free/Organic Diet

#21 Mango04

Mango04

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 11:50 AM

I think I'm gonna make cupcakes this weekend and color the frosting with beet juice (the canned version lol). Thanks for the idea! :D
"Let food be thy medicine, and let thy medicine be food." - Hippocrates

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: