Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,490 posts

Posted 06 February 2008 - 08:56 PM

Got glutened during the superbowl :( These are my suspects at the moment:
Cheetos (regular flavor)
Raisinets
Ranch dip (hidden valley powder, added to sour cream)
CC from the pretzels on the other side of the room (but everyone else was eating them along with the safe food)

I thought all the items above (minus the pretzels) were gluten-free. Wrong? Also maybe suspecting soy/dairy overload...still have yet to rule out those in my diet. Do they cause similar reactions?
Sweetfudge

Born and raised in Portland, OR; Currently living in Provo, UT
Gluten-free since June 2006
Also living with Hypoglycemia since 1991
Dairy-free for good since summer 2008
Started IBS diet and probiotics at GI's recommendation - Fall 2008
Also avoiding: potatoes, beans, crucifers, popcorn, most red meat, coconut milk :(
Started eating a Paleo diet Spring 2011. Love it!

The grass is always greener where you water it.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 loco_ladi

loco_ladi

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 462 posts

Posted 06 February 2008 - 11:32 PM

Not sure about your suspect list, but I know dairy for me gives me small tummy aches if I eat to much still, if I limit it to a time or two a week it doesn't seem to bother me, but that third time is the kicker (lol pun intended)

I would start with the posibility that its a CC issue with prezels and any other food as gluten eater eats a handful of nasty stuff then comes over and eats a handful of gluten-free stuff.... recipe for disaster if you ask me!

All my "snacks" at my tiny SB party were gluten-free, but then again it was 4 adults and 2 kids so wasn't much of a gathering.
Just my .00000002 cents worth
If I knew what I was doing years ago I would have half a clue today!

#3 RiceGuy

RiceGuy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,520 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 04:12 AM

I would start with the posibility that its a CC issue with prezels and any other food as gluten eater eats a handful of nasty stuff then comes over and eats a handful of gluten-free stuff.... recipe for disaster if you ask me!

My thoughts exactly. Although, have you ruled out nightshades yet? I'd not be surprised if there's some sort of tomato or pepper (black pepper is ok) in the ranch powder.
A spherical meteorite 10 km in diameter traveling at 20 km/s has the kinetic energy equal to the calories in 550,000,000,000,000,000 Twinkies.

#4 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,743 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 04:59 AM

My best guess would be the CC issue and or the Cheetos. Leaning strongly toward CC though.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#5 blueeyedmanda

blueeyedmanda

York Fair 2009

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,569 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 05:01 AM

I am thinking CC as well. Hidden Valley if I am not mistaken is a Kraft company and they are good about labeling. Cheetos were ok, other members on here use them as chicken coating.
~~~~Gluten Free since 9/2004~~~~~~

Friends may come and go but Sillies are Forever!!!!!!!

Posted Image

#6 jennyj

jennyj

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 06:09 AM

I am not sure about Raisinettes but the choc. covered raisins we sell at our store do have an allergy warning may contain wheat so I steer clear.
jennyj

Diagnosed March 2006 celiac sprue
Severe iron deficent anemia Jan 2002
Hypoglecemia 2000

"I can do all things through Christ who strenghtens me"

#7 Piesmom

Piesmom

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 08:01 AM

Got glutened during the superbowl :( These are my suspects at the moment:
Cheetos (regular flavor)
Raisinets
Ranch dip (hidden valley powder, added to sour cream)
CC from the pretzels on the other side of the room (but everyone else was eating them along with the safe food)

I thought all the items above (minus the pretzels) were gluten-free. Wrong? Also maybe suspecting soy/dairy overload...still have yet to rule out those in my diet. Do they cause similar reactions?

Hi Sweetfudge -

Clan Thompson's Smartlist states that Hidden Valley won't say that the powdered ranch mix (which my family loves as a breading on chicken!) is gluten-free because of the possibility of CC. We do use it with no problems...but just wanted to let you know.

Hope you are feeling better!
Kelly

Hubby diagnosed 4/06 by scope/biopsy.

#8 Sweetfudge

Sweetfudge

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,490 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 06:10 PM

I'm agreeing with everyone in thinking it was probably CC. Although it could havve been a dairy overload as well. Not positive. Almost back to normal now :)

I am thinking CC as well. Hidden Valley if I am not mistaken is a Kraft company and they are good about labeling. Cheetos were ok, other members on here use them as chicken coating.

Chicken coating? This sounds intriguing!
Sweetfudge

Also avoiding: potatoes, beans, crucifers, popcorn, most red meat, coconut milk :(

#9 Piesmom

Piesmom

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 09 February 2008 - 05:32 AM

Chicken coating? This sounds intriguing!

It's wonderful! :D If you decide it wasn't from the mix, here is the recipe:

Original Ranch Crispy Chicken
1 packet (1 oz.) Hidden Valley Original Ranch Dressing Mix
1/4 cup cornflake crumbs (I've always just used whatever gluten-free bread crumbs I have)
6-8 pieces of chicken, with skin and bone (we use legs & thighs and I do remove the skin)

Combine dressing mix and crumbs in a large plastic bag. Add chicken and toss to coat. Bake on ungreased baking pan at 375 for 50 minutes.

Makes 4 - 6 servings

My family just eats this up and I like it because it takes no time to make.
Kelly

Hubby diagnosed 4/06 by scope/biopsy.

#10 Sweetfudge

Sweetfudge

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,490 posts

Posted 09 February 2008 - 03:20 PM

It's wonderful! :D If you decide it wasn't from the mix, here is the recipe:

Original Ranch Crispy Chicken
1 packet (1 oz.) Hidden Valley Original Ranch Dressing Mix
1/4 cup cornflake crumbs (I've always just used whatever gluten-free bread crumbs I have)
6-8 pieces of chicken, with skin and bone (we use legs & thighs and I do remove the skin)

Combine dressing mix and crumbs in a large plastic bag. Add chicken and toss to coat. Bake on ungreased baking pan at 375 for 50 minutes.

Makes 4 - 6 servings

My family just eats this up and I like it because it takes no time to make.

mmm, sounds good :)
Sweetfudge

#11 SunnyDyRain

SunnyDyRain

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 09 February 2008 - 07:08 PM

I cannot eat Hidden Valley Ranch Dip mix, with or without dairy without getting D! I think it has to do with the MSG in it, or Gluten issues. I can't use ANY dip mix... I have to make my own.

Dx 3/23/07
Gluten free 3/27/07

Intolerant:
Gluten
MSG

Allergies:
Ragweed
Honeydew
Cantalope
Nickel (jewelry)

Dx'd Lymphocytic Colitis 6/16/08

I am a bad silly-yak!

#12 Guest_j_mommy_*

Guest_j_mommy_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 February 2008 - 09:19 AM

When I email Hidden Valley(2 months ago), they varified that the orginal ranch mix was gluten-free...some of teh other varieties were not. I eat it often.

I also eat Cheetos and raisinets(I don't believe there is an allergy warning on them).

My guess is that you had CC issues. With everyone in and out of teh bowls ect that woudl be a definete possiblity.

#13 HAK1031

HAK1031

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 10 February 2008 - 01:31 PM

What about the sour cream? I was at a celiac friend's house a few weeks ago, and she was making dip, and mentioned something about watching out for a certain brand of sour cream because they recently added gluten (probably in the form of MFS) I didn't pay much attention because I'm mostly dairy-free, but it's something to look into. She did say that Daisy sour cream was gluten-free. I just don't remember the unsafe brand.
Gluten Free since 10/07
Mildly Lactose Intolerant, slight intestinal symptoms after eating milk products, but easily corrected with lactase enzyme
Endometriosis- DX'd 5/07

Gluten Antibodies- "negative"...don't know exact numbers, am highly suspicious...
DXed celiac 12-19-07 via genetics/elimination diet- DQ2 allele

Brother with Celiac, aspergers...his tests were all negative (he didn't have genetics done), including endoscopy, but he definitely is at the least gluten intolerant...highly suspect my mother has it as well- she has hyperthyroid, fibromyalgia, hemochromatosis, and now colon cancer, and she has been weak and exhausted and just generally sick. She's going to get tested.

#14 Guest_j_mommy_*

Guest_j_mommy_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 February 2008 - 03:54 PM

I went to a restuarant yesterday and their plain sour cream had gluten. So that is something to watch for!

#15 Sweetfudge

Sweetfudge

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,490 posts

Posted 11 February 2008 - 11:57 AM

My guess is that you had CC issues. With everyone in and out of teh bowls ect that woudl be a definete possiblity.

that's my guess too :rolleyes:

What about the sour cream? I was at a celiac friend's house a few weeks ago, and she was making dip, and mentioned something about watching out for a certain brand of sour cream because they recently added gluten (probably in the form of MFS) I didn't pay much attention because I'm mostly dairy-free, but it's something to look into. She did say that Daisy sour cream was gluten-free. I just don't remember the unsafe brand.

mine was walmart brand, and being at work right now, i'm not positive, but i'm 99% sure it says gluten free on there.
Sweetfudge

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: