Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Cheetos, Raisinets, Ranch Powder, Or Cc

15 posts in this topic

Got glutened during the superbowl :( These are my suspects at the moment:

Cheetos (regular flavor)

Raisinets

Ranch dip (hidden valley powder, added to sour cream)

CC from the pretzels on the other side of the room (but everyone else was eating them along with the safe food)

I thought all the items above (minus the pretzels) were gluten-free. Wrong? Also maybe suspecting soy/dairy overload...still have yet to rule out those in my diet. Do they cause similar reactions?

Ads by Google:

Not sure about your suspect list, but I know dairy for me gives me small tummy aches if I eat to much still, if I limit it to a time or two a week it doesn't seem to bother me, but that third time is the kicker (lol pun intended)

I would start with the posibility that its a CC issue with prezels and any other food as gluten eater eats a handful of nasty stuff then comes over and eats a handful of gluten-free stuff.... recipe for disaster if you ask me!

All my "snacks" at my tiny SB party were gluten-free, but then again it was 4 adults and 2 kids so wasn't much of a gathering.

I would start with the posibility that its a CC issue with prezels and any other food as gluten eater eats a handful of nasty stuff then comes over and eats a handful of gluten-free stuff.... recipe for disaster if you ask me!

My thoughts exactly. Although, have you ruled out nightshades yet? I'd not be surprised if there's some sort of tomato or pepper (black pepper is ok) in the ranch powder.

My best guess would be the CC issue and or the Cheetos. Leaning strongly toward CC though.

I am thinking CC as well. Hidden Valley if I am not mistaken is a Kraft company and they are good about labeling. Cheetos were ok, other members on here use them as chicken coating.

I am not sure about Raisinettes but the choc. covered raisins we sell at our store do have an allergy warning may contain wheat so I steer clear.

Got glutened during the superbowl :( These are my suspects at the moment:

Cheetos (regular flavor)

Raisinets

Ranch dip (hidden valley powder, added to sour cream)

CC from the pretzels on the other side of the room (but everyone else was eating them along with the safe food)

I thought all the items above (minus the pretzels) were gluten-free. Wrong? Also maybe suspecting soy/dairy overload...still have yet to rule out those in my diet. Do they cause similar reactions?

Hi Sweetfudge -

Clan Thompson's Smartlist states that Hidden Valley won't say that the powdered ranch mix (which my family loves as a breading on chicken!) is gluten-free because of the possibility of CC. We do use it with no problems...but just wanted to let you know.

Hope you are feeling better!

I'm agreeing with everyone in thinking it was probably CC. Although it could havve been a dairy overload as well. Not positive. Almost back to normal now :)

I am thinking CC as well. Hidden Valley if I am not mistaken is a Kraft company and they are good about labeling. Cheetos were ok, other members on here use them as chicken coating.

Chicken coating? This sounds intriguing!

Chicken coating? This sounds intriguing!

It's wonderful! :D If you decide it wasn't from the mix, here is the recipe:

Original Ranch Crispy Chicken

1 packet (1 oz.) Hidden Valley Original Ranch Dressing Mix

1/4 cup cornflake crumbs (I've always just used whatever gluten-free bread crumbs I have)

6-8 pieces of chicken, with skin and bone (we use legs & thighs and I do remove the skin)

Combine dressing mix and crumbs in a large plastic bag. Add chicken and toss to coat. Bake on ungreased baking pan at 375 for 50 minutes.

Makes 4 - 6 servings

My family just eats this up and I like it because it takes no time to make.

It's wonderful! :D If you decide it wasn't from the mix, here is the recipe:

Original Ranch Crispy Chicken

1 packet (1 oz.) Hidden Valley Original Ranch Dressing Mix

1/4 cup cornflake crumbs (I've always just used whatever gluten-free bread crumbs I have)

6-8 pieces of chicken, with skin and bone (we use legs & thighs and I do remove the skin)

Combine dressing mix and crumbs in a large plastic bag. Add chicken and toss to coat. Bake on ungreased baking pan at 375 for 50 minutes.

Makes 4 - 6 servings

My family just eats this up and I like it because it takes no time to make.

mmm, sounds good :)

I cannot eat Hidden Valley Ranch Dip mix, with or without dairy without getting D! I think it has to do with the MSG in it, or Gluten issues. I can't use ANY dip mix... I have to make my own.

When I email Hidden Valley(2 months ago), they varified that the orginal ranch mix was gluten-free...some of teh other varieties were not. I eat it often.

I also eat Cheetos and raisinets(I don't believe there is an allergy warning on them).

My guess is that you had CC issues. With everyone in and out of teh bowls ect that woudl be a definete possiblity.

What about the sour cream? I was at a celiac friend's house a few weeks ago, and she was making dip, and mentioned something about watching out for a certain brand of sour cream because they recently added gluten (probably in the form of MFS) I didn't pay much attention because I'm mostly dairy-free, but it's something to look into. She did say that Daisy sour cream was gluten-free. I just don't remember the unsafe brand.

I went to a restuarant yesterday and their plain sour cream had gluten. So that is something to watch for!

My guess is that you had CC issues. With everyone in and out of teh bowls ect that woudl be a definete possiblity.

that's my guess too :rolleyes:

What about the sour cream? I was at a celiac friend's house a few weeks ago, and she was making dip, and mentioned something about watching out for a certain brand of sour cream because they recently added gluten (probably in the form of MFS) I didn't pay much attention because I'm mostly dairy-free, but it's something to look into. She did say that Daisy sour cream was gluten-free. I just don't remember the unsafe brand.

mine was walmart brand, and being at work right now, i'm not positive, but i'm 99% sure it says gluten free on there.