Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 darlindeb25

darlindeb25

Advanced Community Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,324 posts

Posted 22 December 2004 - 02:42 PM

;) yup--i cant tolerate soy milk, soy flour, tuna in water that is soy based, mayo--i guess for now i consider myself soy limited--lecithin doesnt seem to bother me and i can use oil, whcih sometimes has soy in it--i guess it has something to do with the heating process that cooks the protein out of the soy then--anyways--no soy milk for me--if you are dairy free, maybe you could try rice milk or almond milk--just watch for barley in rice milk---deb
Deb
Long Island, NY

Double DQ1, subtype 6

We urge all doctors to take time to listen to your patients.. don't "isolate" symptoms but look at the whole spectrum. If a patient tells you s/he feels as if s/he's falling apart and "nothing seems to be working properly", chances are s/he's right!

"The calm river of your life approaches the rocky chute of the rapids - flow on through. You are the same water. The rocks cannot hurt you. Remember, now and then, that you are the water and not the boat. Flow on!

#3 BamBam

BamBam

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 22 December 2004 - 03:18 PM

It causes diarrhea?

I am fine with a lactose free milk, the coffee shop here has soy milk for those who can't have dairy, I had one Sunday and one today, and my stomach has been irritated every since.
Montana
Self-diagnosed after many tests and no results to feel better
Gluten Free since 8-6-2005
Lactose free for many years
Casein Free since 02/14/06

#4 sweetp

sweetp

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 22 December 2004 - 03:41 PM

certain soy and rice milks do contain gluten! crazy-huh? try Pacific Soy, and Pacific Rice Milk, i know that both are gluten free~ they say right on the front. Eden soy and Silk Soy (the kind used at starbucks are Not gluten free... sorry...
diagnosed w/ ibs '02
tested positive naet '02
positive dietary changes
tested positive enterolab
allergies to:
almonds
pineapple :(
dairy
sugar cane (WHO in the world has ever heard of that??!!!!)
corn
gluten-free since 06/2003

<oooo>

#5 MySuicidalTurtle

MySuicidalTurtle

"Like a rolling stone?"

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,663 posts

Posted 22 December 2004 - 08:39 PM

I have problems with it, too.

#6 FreyaUSA

FreyaUSA

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 23 December 2004 - 08:25 PM

WHAT?! The Silk soy milk at Starbucks is NOT gluten-free? I regularly use the NSA Silk soymilk at home, but only get the occasional one at Starbucks as a special treat. I've not had problems with it. I have noticed I can't tolerate any of the flavorings added at Starbucks, though. (But their silk soymilk is so sweet, I don't add any.)

I'd hate to have to pop the lactaid so I can drink the skim lattes again, but I will. <_<

#7 FreyaUSA

FreyaUSA

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 23 December 2004 - 08:30 PM

Actually, I just did a search. Phew! Here's the companies list of gluten-free soy products:
http://www.silkissoy...?id=17&cid=2#10

White Wave Gluten-free Product List:

Soymilk
Silk Organic Plain
Silk Vanilla
Silk Very Vanilla
Silk Enhanced
Silk Chocolate
Silk Coffee Soylatte
Silk Mocha
Silk Chai
Silk Spice Soylatte
Silk Unsweetened
Silk Light Plain
Silk Light Vanilla
Silk Strawberry
Silk Nog
Silk Exclusively Formulated for Starbucks®
Silk Original Creamer
Silk French Vanilla Creamer
Silk Hazelnut Creamer

Silk Cultured Soy
All flavors are gluten-free

Silk live! Smoothies
Mango
Peach
Raspberry
Strawberry

#8 darlindeb25

darlindeb25

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,324 posts

Posted 24 December 2004 - 04:27 AM

:( so sorry bambam, probably your problem is with the soymilk, not that there is gluten in it, but that you may be intolerant of soy in itself--just as i am soy limited, you may be too :( i know, not fair, but just might be the problem---deb
Deb
Long Island, NY

Double DQ1, subtype 6

We urge all doctors to take time to listen to your patients.. don't "isolate" symptoms but look at the whole spectrum. If a patient tells you s/he feels as if s/he's falling apart and "nothing seems to be working properly", chances are s/he's right!

"The calm river of your life approaches the rocky chute of the rapids - flow on through. You are the same water. The rocks cannot hurt you. Remember, now and then, that you are the water and not the boat. Flow on!

#9 kactuskandee

kactuskandee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 27 December 2004 - 04:10 PM

Deb, you and I are alike in that we can't do soy.

Soy is a common allergen.

I can't do soy in any way shape or form........except for a teenie tiny amount of soy lethecin in say a candy product. Even the oil bothers me, so can't take a normal Vit E, only a Rice Tocopheral form of Vit E. When I do ingest soy I get one of the strangest reaction....my legs ache like a son-of-a-gun, especially the calves, and I can barely walk.

If anyone one is interested they can read about the affects of soy here:

http://www.westonapr.../soy/index.html

BamBam, I think I would try to go without soy a while, subing with rice and nut beverages and see what happens. That may tell you more.

Kandee

#10 shayladad

shayladad

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 January 2005 - 11:18 AM

Hello there - this is my first post - I'm the wife of Shayla Dad. I am questioning the possible negative reaction to soy in my 3 year old step-daughter. She was just diagnosed with celiac disease in November and my husband and I question the lack of improvement in both her weight, distended belly and diarrhea. Until recently, our time with her was limited due to only having partial custody. We just started a 50-50 custody schedule and although we follow a gluten-free diet (she is also a finicky eater) she had a pretty severe bout of foul-smelling diarrhea this morning. Her mom gave us PediaSure, which she claims she gives her on a regular basis. Although hesitant, I gave her the Pedia Sure late yesterday afternoon and I am concerned that this is what caused her to be sick. Unfortunately, we don't have a very good relationship with her mom and I worry that her family doctor would rule out the possibility of a soy reaction since he admits that celiacs for him was a "first-time diagnosis". I'm positive she's had nothing else to cause this. Is there anyone out there that can confirm a problem with Pedia Sure? To date, there is no known dairy intolerance either.

#11 tom

tom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,930 posts

Posted 01 January 2005 - 11:52 PM

No idea if there are other ingred/problems w/ PediaSure, but i did find this.

Thank you for contacting the Ross Products Division of Abbott Laboratories.

There is no source of wheat, barley or rye in our PediaSure® products. Additionally, PediaSure is not produced on a line that also produces gluten-containing products. There are no gluten-containing products manufactured in our formula plants.

Please let us know if we can be of further assistance.

Sincerely, Terri
Ross Consumer Relations

( http://maelstrom.stj...=celiac&P=R1229 )

Another thread says it contains casein, but you already mentioned no known dairy intolerance.
>>>>>>> tom <<<<<<<

Celiac 1st diagnosed as a toddler, in the 60s. Docs then, between bloodletting & leech-tending, said "he'll grow out of it" & I was back on gluten & mostly fine for 30yrs.

Gluten-free since 12-03
Dairy-free since 10-04
Soy-free since 5-07

#12 mela14

mela14

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 09 January 2005 - 03:16 PM

soy make me sooooooooo sick! immediately too! I get bloated, feel ill, get a migraine....and the sore, sore stomach persists for days. My gut gets totally irritated and distended. I get thobbing pain low in the abdomen that only feels a littel better after a bowel movement.
Now I check to make sure that soy isn't one of added ingredients too!
Mel
mela14@optonline.net

10 years of abdominal problems, incorrectly diagnosed with Endometriosis / suffered 7 surgeries. Total hysterectomy 2 years ago!
Fibromyalgia, Chronic Fatigue, Interstitial Cystitis ,IBS, Migraines, Primary Immune Deficiency to name a few. Finally realizing that food intolerances make them all worse!

#13 Guest_sriddle78_*

Guest_sriddle78_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2005 - 04:31 AM

I had such a bad reaction to a few soy milks (bloating, upset stomach, nausea). Then I read an article about carrageenan. Most soy milks (and some rice milks and almond milks) have carrageenan, an emulsifier. From Dr. Mercola's website:

"Carrageenan is taken up by intestinal cells rather easily, but the cells are unable to metabolize it. As carrageenan accumulates in cells it may cause them to breakdown, and over time this process could lead to ulceration...."

As a side note, I don't drink soy milk anymore because I have to limit my soy intake (according to my doctor it has a negative impact on the thyroid, and I'm already hypothyroid). My friend, however, found a brand of soy milk that doesn't have carrageenan and it doesn't make her stomach her like the others did. I don't remember the name of it, but she said she feels much better.

You may want to give it one last shot with a brand free of carrageenan. Here's another quote from another article about carrageenan:

"Carrageenan is a gel. It coats the insides of a stomach,
like gooey honey or massage oil. Digestive problems often
ensue. Quite often, soy eaters or soymilk drinkers react
negatively to carrageenen, and blame their discomforting
stomachaches on the soy."

It's from http://www.notmilk.com/carageenan.html.

I don't know if it is soy or carrageenan. I hope you can find your answer. I, myself, love rice milk and almond milk.

Shannon

#14 llj012564

llj012564

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 24 January 2005 - 08:31 AM

Shayladad.... was the little girls diarrhea a frothy consistancy? if so I would have to say look at the casein foods ..... with it being foul-smelling and usually not happening for a few hours sounds a lot like how I react to casein. so just a thought but also sounds like your in a tough spot with her diet...... so good luck ;) hope you find what is causing it.

#15 ideagirl

ideagirl

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 05:15 PM

**Eden soy and Silk Soy (the kind used at starbucks are Not gluten free... sorry...**

Hello,

I have a bunch of Silk chocolate soymilk drinkboxes--I have them for breakfast--and they all say "Gluten Free" on them. Plus, the ingredients don't contain anything that could be a gluten source. Is there something different about the soy Starbucks uses, or were you thinking of a different brand?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: