This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Soy Milk

BamBam

BamBam Community Regular

Has anyone had problems with soy milk?

BAM

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

darlindeb25 Collaborator
;) yup--i cant tolerate soy milk, soy flour, tuna in water that is soy based, mayo--i guess for now i consider myself soy limited--lecithin doesnt seem to bother me and i can use oil, whcih sometimes has soy in it--i guess it has something to do with the heating process that cooks the protein out of the soy then--anyways--no soy milk for me--if you are dairy free, maybe you could try rice milk or almond milk--just watch for barley in rice milk---deb
BamBam Community Regular

It causes diarrhea?

I am fine with a lactose free milk, the coffee shop here has soy milk for those who can't have dairy, I had one Sunday and one today, and my stomach has been irritated every since.

sweetp Rookie

certain soy and rice milks do contain gluten! crazy-huh? try Pacific Soy, and Pacific Rice Milk, i know that both are gluten free~ they say right on the front. Eden soy and Silk Soy (the kind used at starbucks are Not gluten free... sorry...

MySuicidalTurtle Enthusiast

I have problems with it, too.

FreyaUSA Contributor

WHAT?! The Silk soy milk at Starbucks is NOT gluten-free? I regularly use the NSA Silk soymilk at home, but only get the occasional one at Starbucks as a special treat. I've not had problems with it. I have noticed I can't tolerate any of the flavorings added at Starbucks, though. (But their silk soymilk is so sweet, I don't add any.)

I'd hate to have to pop the lactaid so I can drink the skim lattes again, but I will. <_<

FreyaUSA Contributor

Actually, I just did a search. Phew! Here's the companies list of gluten-free soy products:

Open Original Shared Link

White Wave Gluten-free Product List:

Soymilk

Silk Organic Plain

Silk Vanilla

Silk Very Vanilla

Silk Enhanced

Silk Chocolate

Silk Coffee Soylatte

Silk Mocha

Silk Chai

Silk Spice Soylatte

Silk Unsweetened

Silk Light Plain

Silk Light Vanilla

Silk Strawberry

Silk Nog

Silk Exclusively Formulated for Starbucks

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

darlindeb25 Collaborator
:( so sorry bambam, probably your problem is with the soymilk, not that there is gluten in it, but that you may be intolerant of soy in itself--just as i am soy limited, you may be too :( i know, not fair, but just might be the problem---deb
kactuskandee Apprentice

Deb, you and I are alike in that we can't do soy.

Soy is a common allergen.

I can't do soy in any way shape or form........except for a teenie tiny amount of soy lethecin in say a candy product. Even the oil bothers me, so can't take a normal Vit E, only a Rice Tocopheral form of Vit E. When I do ingest soy I get one of the strangest reaction....my legs ache like a son-of-a-gun, especially the calves, and I can barely walk.

If anyone one is interested they can read about the affects of soy here:

BamBam, I think I would try to go without soy a while, subing with rice and nut beverages and see what happens. That may tell you more.

Kandee

shayladad Newbie

Hello there - this is my first post - I'm the wife of Shayla Dad. I am questioning the possible negative reaction to soy in my 3 year old step-daughter. She was just diagnosed with celiac disease in November and my husband and I question the lack of improvement in both her weight, distended belly and diarrhea. Until recently, our time with her was limited due to only having partial custody. We just started a 50-50 custody schedule and although we follow a gluten-free diet (she is also a finicky eater) she had a pretty severe bout of foul-smelling diarrhea this morning. Her mom gave us PediaSure, which she claims she gives her on a regular basis. Although hesitant, I gave her the Pedia Sure late yesterday afternoon and I am concerned that this is what caused her to be sick. Unfortunately, we don't have a very good relationship with her mom and I worry that her family doctor would rule out the possibility of a soy reaction since he admits that celiacs for him was a "first-time diagnosis". I'm positive she's had nothing else to cause this. Is there anyone out there that can confirm a problem with Pedia Sure? To date, there is no known dairy intolerance either.

tom Contributor

No idea if there are other ingred/problems w/ PediaSure, but i did find this.

Thank you for contacting the Ross Products Division of Abbott Laboratories.

There is no source of wheat, barley or rye in our PediaSure® products. Additionally, PediaSure is not produced on a line that also produces gluten-containing products. There are no gluten-containing products manufactured in our formula plants.

Please let us know if we can be of further assistance.

Sincerely, Terri

Ross Consumer Relations

( Open Original Shared Link )

Another thread says it contains casein, but you already mentioned no known dairy intolerance.

mela14 Enthusiast

soy make me sooooooooo sick! immediately too! I get bloated, feel ill, get a migraine....and the sore, sore stomach persists for days. My gut gets totally irritated and distended. I get thobbing pain low in the abdomen that only feels a littel better after a bowel movement.

Now I check to make sure that soy isn't one of added ingredients too!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest sriddle78

I had such a bad reaction to a few soy milks (bloating, upset stomach, nausea). Then I read an article about carrageenan. Most soy milks (and some rice milks and almond milks) have carrageenan, an emulsifier. From Dr. Mercola's website:

"Carrageenan is taken up by intestinal cells rather easily, but the cells are unable to metabolize it. As carrageenan accumulates in cells it may cause them to breakdown, and over time this process could lead to ulceration...."

As a side note, I don't drink soy milk anymore because I have to limit my soy intake (according to my doctor it has a negative impact on the thyroid, and I'm already hypothyroid). My friend, however, found a brand of soy milk that doesn't have carrageenan and it doesn't make her stomach her like the others did. I don't remember the name of it, but she said she feels much better.

You may want to give it one last shot with a brand free of carrageenan. Here's another quote from another article about carrageenan:

"Carrageenan is a gel. It coats the insides of a stomach,

like gooey honey or massage oil. Digestive problems often

ensue. Quite often, soy eaters or soymilk drinkers react

negatively to carrageenen, and blame their discomforting

stomachaches on the soy."

It's from Open Original Shared Link.

I don't know if it is soy or carrageenan. I hope you can find your answer. I, myself, love rice milk and almond milk.

Shannon

llj012564 Newbie

Shayladad.... was the little girls diarrhea a frothy consistancy? if so I would have to say look at the casein foods ..... with it being foul-smelling and usually not happening for a few hours sounds a lot like how I react to casein. so just a thought but also sounds like your in a tough spot with her diet...... so good luck ;) hope you find what is causing it.

• 4 weeks later...
ideagirl Newbie
**Eden soy and Silk Soy (the kind used at starbucks are Not gluten free... sorry...**

Hello,

I have a bunch of Silk chocolate soymilk drinkboxes--I have them for breakfast--and they all say "Gluten Free" on them. Plus, the ingredients don't contain anything that could be a gluten source. Is there something different about the soy Starbucks uses, or were you thinking of a different brand?

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

I drink silk alot to. There was a post with the gluten free products list from them in a previous post under this subject. As far as I know the kind they make for starbucks is gluten free. I have a recent list from them that has that on it so as far as I know it is in fact gluten free.

griffithkat Newbie

When I was first diagnosed with gluten-free I couldn't drink Milk. I have to have milk in my coffee so I tried the soy milk, NASTY I tried Lactaid, GROSS and made me sick. I ran across Land O Lakes Dairy Ease. I love it.

darlindeb25 Collaborator
<_< well everyone--i bought Smart Balance margarine last friday, knowing it to be gluten-free, but not realizing is was also dairy free and you guessed it--i got sick---terrible headache and for the first time ever--my ears had a ringing that was deafening--that finally calmed but the headache stayed with me and of course, my mind became foggy so i couldnt think and then the sleepless nights fell into place and muscle aches--i even pinched a nerve in my neck/shoulder and it finally hit me--maybe the margarine and that is when i saw the lactose free on the tub :angry: and i have been miserable for 5 days before i figured it out--i swear it messes with your brain too--the rest of the margarine is in the trash now and the headache is starting to dull--i havent had any of the margarine since yesterday morning :( somedays :( i have been gluten-free for almost 4 yrs and i still make mistakes and obviously--big ones :rolleyes: my daddy always said--if you're gonna do something, do it right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;) deb
  • 1 year later...
serendipity Newbie

I have called Starbucks and they verified that all their drinks are gluten-free EXCEPT their frappucino's. Even the soy milk is! : )

Mamato2boys Contributor

My son can't drink soy milk either - it gives him horrible, smelly diarrhea, and distended belly. From what I understand there is about a 30% cross-reaction rate between cow's milk and soy - my son is allergic to both.

tarnalberry Community Regular
certain soy and rice milks do contain gluten! crazy-huh? try Pacific Soy, and Pacific Rice Milk, i know that both are gluten free~ they say right on the front. Eden soy and Silk Soy (the kind used at starbucks are Not gluten free... sorry...

Silk Soy milk IS gluten free.

Dev Newbie

I used to like soy milk but I don't drink it that often anymore. I don't exactly believe all the "warnings" against it either though; it's just that I don't like the taste of it.

I've smelled soy beans as they were being soaked. They smell like absolute GARBAGE, no joke. That's not the reason I don't like it that much anymore, though.

SchnauzerMom Rookie

Soy in some of its forms bothers me too. I made some cookies from soy flour and I thought I was going to die, stomach and intestinal pain, bloating, gas. It took a couple of days for everything to calm down. I tried soy milk and it gives me gas but not as bad as the flour. So far soy lecithin and soybean oil don't bother me. I guess it depends on how much soy is in a product.

• 1 year later...
katetastic619 Newbie

Just wanted to add...I think sriddle may be onto something with carageenan being problamatic. It is, by the way in the Silk Soymilk which is used at Starbuck's AND most PediaSure forulations.

I thought I might be lactose intolerant AND/or soy intolerant. Because I thought I had diary issues, I switched to having soy-no water chai's @ Starbuck's intstead of dairy ones. I was actually not really noticing a problem with the dairy in the chai before, but in other ice creams, etc. However the Starbuck's soy chai seems to be giving me a violent GI reaction each time, ie, rushing for the toilet to have diahreah. Yet, I don't seem to have a problem with most tofus, and some soymilks seem to be fine. Then I realised that there is a connection. Carageenan.

Cold Stone brand ice cream, which gives me trouble...i just found out has quite a bit of carageenan. The ice cream and sour creams that don't seem to bother me...NO carageenan in them. I then checked into Starbuck's choice of soymilk, found out it was silk....then went on Silk's website and saw that they use carageenan in all their products.

From what I've read about carageenan and what sriddle posted, it doesn't seem to be a highly digestable subtstance...I saw it compared somewhere else to petroleum jelly. Ick.

I think being as that most of us as celiacs have some or even extensive damage to our GI tracts, it would make sense that something like carageenan could cause GI distress. I would highly suggest people who think they are lactose or soy intolerant test out these substances in comparison to the same products that have added carageenan. Ie. Silk soymilk (contains carageenan), Vs. Vitasoy or 8th continent (no carageenan).

I also just found, as I was writing this, that Dr. Andrew Weil has written a series of articles on the dangers of carageenan, related to cancer and general GI issues.

Here are a few links to some related scientific studies. It just seems to be an additive that should be avoided when possible:

I then saw a page on Eden's site refuting the dangers of carrageen in their products, because it comes from seaweed...a "natural" source. Well, MSG is derived from natural sources, like sugar cane and molasses, etc., and many people do not tolerate THAT well. I mean really, as much as I'm into whole foods and everything, not everything "natural" is good for us. Even heroin comes from "natural" sources. Anyways, just some more food for thought.

hathor Contributor

I avoid carrageenan because it is an excitotoxin, like MSG and aspartame. You can google "excitotoxin" and read up on these chemicals and the effect they have on one's body. A good book on the subject is by Dr. Blaylock (google on his name too -- I know I've ran across articles by him online before).

I had problems finding rice or almond milks without it. (I react to casein and soy.) Now I use Living Harvest hemp milk. No junk in it, and it is very nutritious (all sorts of nutrients including omega 3s). I like the flavor and consistency too. (Word to those interested in hemp milk -- Hemp Bliss is entirely different. Very nasty stuff IMHO I ran across one person who likes it, but everyone else who has commented here and in other forums agreed with me.)

There is no single reaction to soy. Some get diarrhea. Some get constipation. Some get skin problems. Some get very subtle reactions. Soy is in so many things that it is hard to get away from it unless you really do your research. Restaurants sometimes don't consider soy oil as an allergen. Prepared foods regulated by the USDA (what are deemed by them in their complicated rules as meat, poultry or egg products) are not subject to allergen labeling regulations, unlike those regulated by the FDA (everything else).

I've found that my reaction to soy has grown. It used to be I could handle soy oil; now I can't. Soy lecithin doesn't seem to bother me. Yet.

Archived