Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Do "ensure" Meal Replacement Shakes Contain Gluten?

• Please log in to reply

11 replies to this topic

#1 oldskool

oldskool

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 February 2008 - 11:36 AM

It does not say Gluten on the label, but it says 4% or 1 gram dietary fibre.

http://ensure.com/index.aspx

Follow: Products>Ingredients

- Thanks!

(Still trying to wrap my head around all this)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 confusedks

confusedks

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,743 posts

Posted 09 February 2008 - 12:09 PM

It does not say Gluten on the label, but it says 4% or 1 gram dietary fibre.

http://ensure.com/index.aspx

Follow: Products>Ingredients

- Thanks!

(Still trying to wrap my head around all this)

I googled "gluten in ensure" and it came up with a link to amazon where they are being sold under the gluten free section. I do believe they are gluten free. Hopefully someone will be able to confirm this for you.
Dairy/Casein Free- March 2007
Gluten Free- May 2007
Soy Free- August 2007
Sugar Free- January 2008
Starch Free- January 2008
Egg Free (again!)- February 2008
Sulfur Free- May 2008

Dx'd Lyme Disease and co-infections- December 2007

#3 gfcookie

gfcookie

Community Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 09 February 2008 - 12:19 PM

they are!

#4 gfcookie

gfcookie

Community Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 09 February 2008 - 01:52 PM

p.s., if you are trying to gain weight, these are great, if you are trying to lose weight, try the slim fast gluten-free ones, because i've found ensure to be not filling enough to actually replace an entire meal, and i'm relatively tiny.

#5 home_based_mom

home_based_mom

Operation Christmas Child

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 768 posts

Posted 09 February 2008 - 03:24 PM

Many people get tired of Ensure. If you need additional nutrition, look for a product called Benecalorie. It isn't always available locally but can easily be found online, and is gluten free.
Sandi ~ learning to live in a world obsessed and infested with wheat.
"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows" probably was not referring to us . . .
"For the love of money gluten is a root of all sorts of evil, and some by longing for it have wandered away from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs." (apologies to 1 Timothy 6:10 (NASB)
The person we most dislike is still a soul for whom Christ died. (David Jeremiah)

#6 Sharon Marie

Sharon Marie

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 09 February 2008 - 05:32 PM

Ensure should not be considered a meal replacement. It's more like a supplement for people who need more calories.

#7 oldskool

oldskool

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 February 2008 - 08:18 PM

Thanks all. I have been having them in the morning with a bannana, handful or raisins and a small green smoothie.

They taste pretty good, but have 10 grams of fat and are not that filling (as people have stated), but along with the fruit it seems to be ok for me.

I cut out Quaker Oatmeal which I have been eating daily for the past 10 years of my life.

#8 gfcookie

gfcookie

Community Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 10 February 2008 - 07:36 AM

Ensure should not be considered a meal replacement. It's more like a supplement for people who need more calories.

actually, ensure is marketed as meal replacement, and many elderly people use it as a meal replacement. just fyi. it contains more calories than a slim fast, which counts as a "meal", so it can be a considered a meal replacement.

#9 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 10 February 2008 - 08:06 AM

if you want to replace that oatmeal, consider getting some quinoa flakes, adding a little bit of flax meal (to round out the taste and add a bit of good fat and some more fiber/protein), sweeten with agave or honey, and spice with some cinnamon or apple pie spice (my current favorite). You can mix everything but the sweetener (and even that, if you use brown sugar) ahead of time in a big batch, and just add boiling water to some when you're ready for breakfast (takes ~90 seconds for it to 'cook). I make mine at work! ;)
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#10 Respira

Respira

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 10 February 2008 - 09:17 AM

It really depends on what you are looking for. The same company Abbott Nutrition makes both of these products. I prefer Enlive mainly because it is much easier to digest. I order it online 2 cases at a time.

Enlive
Clear Liquid Nutrition
ENLIVE! is a high-calorie, fat-free alternative to sweeter-tasting creamy supplements.
ENLIVE! is an ideal choice for people with cancer or those on clear-liquid, pre- and postsurgical, bowel-prep, fat-malabsorptive, fat-restricted, low-sodium, or low-cholesterol diets.
Features

* Excellent source of protein—10 g/8.1 fl oz
* Clear liquid nutrition
* Fortified with 20 essential vitamins and minerals
* Refreshing tangy flavors provide taste alternative
* Ready to use
* Kosher
* Gluten-Free
* Lactose-Free
For Nutrition Facts label go to:
http://www.drugstore...ition_apple.htm

Ensure
Complete, Balanced Nutrition®
Rich, creamy-tasting ENSURE provides a source of complete, balanced nutrition for supplemental use with or between meals and for interim sole-source feeding. ENSURE can benefit patients who are at nutritional risk, experiencing involuntary weight loss, recovering from illness or surgery, or on modified or low-residue diets.
Features

* Helps strengthen the immune system with antioxidants, vitamin C, vitamin E and selenium
* Excellent source (320 mg) of plant-based omega-3 fatty acid ALA (20% of 1.6 g DV) to support heart health
* Excellent source of 24 essential vitamins and minerals
* Low in saturated fat (1 g/8 fl oz)
* Kosher
* Gluten-Free
* Lactose-Free
* Low-Residue

For Nutrition Facts label go to:
http://www.drugstore...amp;catid=28332
Patrice
retired Respiratory Therapist
currently Amateur Poker Player

" You have to learn the rules of the game. And then you have to play better than anyone else.... Albert Einstein"

#11 Sharon Marie

Sharon Marie

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 09:55 AM

actually, ensure is marketed as meal replacement, and many elderly people use it as a meal replacement. just fyi. it contains more calories than a slim fast, which counts as a "meal", so it can be a considered a meal replacement.

My information was formed while I was cook at a nursing home for 14 years. We used it as a suppliment for people that were undernourished. So guess that definitely does fit us celiac's. ;)
I stand corrected .

#12 MyMississippi

MyMississippi

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 12:21 PM

Yuk ! why would anyone want to drink a can of chemicals ? :) As an RN I poured many cans of Ensure down the feeding tubes of people who were too sick to chew food. It was a life saver for them, but the goal was to get those people OFF Ensure and onto real food.

I pray I NEVER have to drink Ensure or any of those other concoctions. I could not believe my eyes when I started seeing commercials on TV hawking Ensure for relatively "healthy" people. I can bet you won't see many doctors and nurses drinking that stuff.

If you need extra nutrition------ find it in real food------not a can of liquid "fake food" . :)

I had to rant--------

I feel better now. ;)
CeeCee

Allergic to: wheat, peanuts and Penicillin
1995 severe anaphylactic reaction to Wheat

Gluten free since Sept. 2006

"Failure is only the opportunity to begin again, more intelligently"--- Henry Ford

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: