Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Pediatricians

3 posts in this topic

Just wondering. How much do you feel your pediatrician knows about celiac, how proactive are they in managing it/ investigating related issues, etc.

Should we rely on them for this?

Or should we rely on the pedi- gastroenterologist?

Any and all insights are appreciated.

Ads by Google:

I would bring in hard copy of articles related to Celiac for the doctor along with my written out questions. Make sure that the pediatrician's office has an up to date gluten free medication list in your child's file. In other words I wouldn't leave it as an option for the doctor not to be informed about Celiac.

L.

The pediatrician I had been going to was terrific. He thought he had diagnosed me with cyclic vomiting (vomiting from migraines and all that, since migraines run in the family). Regardless, he sent me to a gastro. who, after sonograms, blood tests, x-rays, bone age tests, etc. finally found celiac! He wasn't an expert on celiac, but knew the basic principals and since I was dealing with a GI, then later, an actual celiac dr. for this, he didn't need to be. He just retired, so I am going to go to a new pediatrician in January for my annual physical.

I believe he's already had a celiac patient or two, so he knows enough, but he was recommended to my family by numerous friends, so he's probably a good enough dr. and if he doesn't know about celiac I'll educate him or provide articles.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Topics

• hey! Wondering if I can get some good info/help from you guys! I just signed up for this website couple weeks ago. Whenever I would Google things this was always the first to pop up and I always found info on things I googled. I am pretty new to the gluten free thing. I had a hernia surgery back in Jan and after that I kept throwing up after eating, the DR. told me it was probably acid reflex caused from surgery but all the meds I tried nothing helped. I went back and was told to cut gluten out. I have been doing so since. When I first started I felt like I had it under control and didn't throw up for 3 weeks, now I find it happening more often. I do buy gluten-free things and read labels to the best I can. My frustration comes from not knowing what its from. How do you know if its from the day before or what you just ate? I hate not knowing. Especially when I haven't had gluten (or so I think) I have been keeping a journal but I just find it so hard. I get this feeling in my stomach and can feel it in my throat. Sometimes I puke once sometimes 5 times! Yesterday for lunch I made an omlet with chicken mushrooms and feta cheese. I threw up almost 20 min after. I have also tried the no dairy thing and it doesn't seem to make a difference so I don't think dairy is an issue as well.
    • I have been on a gluten-free diet for exactly one-year. During that time, I have had no stomach issues or problems when I inadvertently ingested gluten. The other day, I had GI discomfort (no vomiting or diarrhea) and my blood pressure spiked t0 200/98 (normally 119/75). As my GI discomfort subsided, my pressure crept back to normal. This took about 16-hours. I know that I ingested something with gluten, which I had thought was gluten-free.  It never bothered me before. Should I expect that the longer I'm gluten-free, the more susceptible I will be to having a pronounced reaction to inadvertent gluten exposure? Has anyone else had similar experiences with blood pressure spikes?
    • If this is helpful: My local public library had a copy of Breaking the Vicious Cycle by Elaine Gottschall.  There is a Facebook group, I believe it is easily found by searching SCD Diet, and it's a closed group.  If you go directly to the official website of Breaking the Vicious Cycle, there's lots of information for free available, including the basics about the intro diet and beyond.  I would go to the original source of this diet rather than go to other groups/books who have perhaps veered away from Elaine Gottschall's fundamentals. Best wishes to you!
    • AdrienJ, thank you so much! I dream of traveling more one day. I have spondylitis too. I'm so glad that a gluten free and casein free diet is helping you feel your best!
    • Hi Lisa, I completely understand why you didn't do a biopsy on your daughter.  I went through the appendix thing myself...not fun!  I was diagnosed with just bloodwork and no biopsy, but did have the full panel.  I would go back to your PCP and ask for a full panel to include TTG, EMA and DGP tests.  Since she was already willing to test you, I'm sure she would be willing to order these.  Good luck!
  • Upcoming Events

• Blog Entries

• Recent Status Updates

• Who's Online (See full list)

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Ayryil