2 replies to this topic

#1 Ruth

Ruth

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 23 December 2004 - 09:22 AM

Just wondering. How much do you feel your pediatrician knows about celiac, how proactive are they in managing it/ investigating related issues, etc.
Should we rely on them for this?
Or should we rely on the pedi- gastroenterologist?
Any and all insights are appreciated.
Ruth
Diagnosed 3/03 (Positive Biopsy/Negative Blood Tests)
Daughter dx 12/03 (Positive biopsy/Positive blood tests);
Two sons (Negative blood tests); One on gluten-free diet (6/04) ... cured his persistent, severe headaches.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 mommida

mommida

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,938 posts

Posted 23 December 2004 - 10:19 AM

I would bring in hard copy of articles related to Celiac for the doctor along with my written out questions. Make sure that the pediatrician's office has an up to date gluten free medication list in your child's file. In other words I wouldn't leave it as an option for the doctor not to be informed about Celiac.
L.
Michigan

#3 celiac3270

celiac3270

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 23 December 2004 - 01:26 PM

The pediatrician I had been going to was terrific. He thought he had diagnosed me with cyclic vomiting (vomiting from migraines and all that, since migraines run in the family). Regardless, he sent me to a gastro. who, after sonograms, blood tests, x-rays, bone age tests, etc. finally found celiac! He wasn't an expert on celiac, but knew the basic principals and since I was dealing with a GI, then later, an actual celiac dr. for this, he didn't need to be. He just retired, so I am going to go to a new pediatrician in January for my annual physical.

I believe he's already had a celiac patient or two, so he knows enough, but he was recommended to my family by numerous friends, so he's probably a good enough dr. and if he doesn't know about celiac I'll educate him or provide articles.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: