18 replies to this topic

#1 cmbajb

cmbajb

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 10 February 2008 - 02:23 PM

Hi. I'm new around here and could use some help. I understand that Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauces are gluten free, but when I eat it, I get a reaction like I just ate gluten. Has anyone else had this experience and might have an idea what other ingredient might be causing the reaction? As of now, I've only been diagnosed with gluten intolerance, no other food or additive allergies or sensitivities.

Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Lisa

Lisa

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 10 February 2008 - 02:42 PM

Hi. I'm new around here and could use some help. I understand that Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauces are gluten free, but when I eat it, I get a reaction like I just ate gluten. Has anyone else had this experience and might have an idea what other ingredient might be causing the reaction? As of now, I've only been diagnosed with gluten intolerance, no other food or additive allergies or sensitivities.

Thanks!

There is nothing that yells "gluten" and it is well used among members here. There are some corn derived ingredients though.
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#3 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 10 February 2008 - 02:48 PM

I have contacted Sweet Baby Ray's by phone, and was assured it was gluten-free. I have personally eaten it many times with no ill effects, and I'm highly sensitive.

All that said, it may be that you are sensitive to one of the ingredients in the sauce, or it just doesn't agree with you. I've been at this long enough to think that anyone can be sensitive to just about anything :)
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#4 cmbajb

cmbajb

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 02:56 PM

Thanks everyone. I'll have to do some more research into this problem.

#5 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 05:36 PM

I use it regularly.

richard

#6 blueeyedmanda

blueeyedmanda

York Fair 2009

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,569 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 05:39 PM

I use it often and do not get ill from it. Could something else be bothering you?
~~~~Gluten Free since 9/2004~~~~~~

Friends may come and go but Sillies are Forever!!!!!!!

Posted Image

#7 shanluts

shanluts

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 06:30 AM

Thanks!

ME too!!1 That is actually why I am on the site today. I have eaten it 3 times and been sick sick sick all the next days....

Suspicious. I emailed the company. I am very sensitive to gluten. Do not know of any other food intolerances. Including corn..I eat often. What is the UPC code on yours? Maybe we have a "bad or contaminated run"

Original BBQ Sauce: 013409451328 (my UPC) 340 7A is the code on the bottle neck in red. Does anyone have this and NOT reacting?

Shannon

#8 angel_jd1

angel_jd1

Gluten Free Goddess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,053 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 08:20 AM

I am also a regular user of Sweet Baby Ray's and haven't had any problems with it. I am also very sensitive to any cc or traces of gluten. Possibly you should check into other intollerances?? Maybe the culprit was what you were putting the sauce on? Just a couple of ideas.

-Jessica :rolleyes:
Jessica
Gluten Free since 12-31-2002!!
Kansas

#9 Darn210

Darn210

Cookies!!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 08:31 AM

We've had no problems here either. You can always try Kraft BBQ Sauce. I'm not sure if all their flavors are gluten-free but you can just read the label. They are a company that does not hide the gluten
Janet

Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.

Posted Image

#10 shanluts

shanluts

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 08:51 AM

I am also a regular user of Sweet Baby Ray's and haven't had any problems with it. I am also very sensitive to any cc or traces of gluten. Possibly you should check into other intollerances?? Maybe the culprit was what you were putting the sauce on? Just a couple of ideas.

-Jessica :rolleyes:

Thanks. I will not be using it again. I do not think it would be the other things that I ate..... I had chicken (baked in the oven with only SBR sauce) and homemade mashed potatoes. I only ate about 4-6 bites as I wasnt too hungry.

I REALLY think it is the sauce.....just would love to know what ingrediant it is. OOOOO to have a crystal ball :)

Shannon

#11 gluten15

gluten15

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 03:58 PM

I love the stuff..but had to give it up. Do you have other intolerances to things that may seem gluten like? I had to give it up because I just decided that something in it was giving me a reaction..but not gluten related.
I want to say that just like me..something in it doesn't agree with you..but yours sounds like gluten symptoms.
I was so thrilled to find out this product was gluten free because it's the only bbq sauce i use..but something in it is still affecting my other stuff.

#12 CtheCeliac

CtheCeliac

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 08:04 PM

Like you, I was so excited to learn it was gluten-free and used it over ribs in the slow cooker two times. Subtle reactions both times, so I've stopped using it for a few months. Hmm.
Life-long symptoms- difficulty gaining weight, fatigue, constipation, large stool, gas, dry skin, sinus allergies. Doctors recommended eating larger portions. Symptoms worsened.

Symptoms lasted three months before going gluten-free- weight loss, D, extreme irritability, skin problems.

11/06 Positive bloodwork.
12/06 Started gluten-free diet.
1/07 Canceled biopsy (symptoms were gone and I was finally gaining weight- 10 pounds in six weeks).
9/07 I've gained 20 pounds. Yeah!
9/08 Youngest daughter diagnosed with Celiac Disease. (D eliminated, behavior improved, schoolwork improved.)
11/08 Two years gluten-free!

#13 ZsaZsa

ZsaZsa

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 09:03 PM

If anyone is Allergic to the Pea family like me, then you also might get a reaction from this product like I do! Tamarind is the last ingredient listed on the product label and Tamarind is a sticky brown acidic pulp from the pod of a tree in the pea family! That's why I can't have it.....I tried it a couple of years ago, then learned what Tamarind was after I had a horrible reaction to the product. I'm allergic to Peas and beans and especially anaphylatic to Soy in any form! No beans or bean flours, no peas, no lima beans, no anything in the bean or pea family for me, unfortunately! I do miss bbq! Gluten free just isn't enough for me.

#14 Guest_digmom1014_*

Guest_digmom1014_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 April 2008 - 03:46 AM

No reaction here and my non gluten-free family loves that I can use a "regular" brand. I didn't even get sick eating at his restaurant. It's in Woodale, IL by the train depot.

#15 VioletBlue

VioletBlue

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 10:42 AM

Was the pan you baked in free from CC? Do you just use that pan for chicken? Have you had it since before you went gluten free? Metal pans and non stick coated pans can harbor enough gluten to cause CC.

I've used this sauce in the past and never had a gluten reaction. I did however subsequently become intolerant of nightshades, and tomato of course is a big component of most all BBQ sauces. Add mashed potatoes to that meal and there's a double dose of nightshades which would send me into agony all night.

Thanks. I will not be using it again. I do not think it would be the other things that I ate..... I had chicken (baked in the oven with only SBR sauce) and homemade mashed potatoes. I only ate about 4-6 bites as I wasnt too hungry.

I REALLY think it is the sauce.....just would love to know what ingrediant it is. OOOOO to have a crystal ball :)

Shannon

"My mother always told me, it's okay to play with a man's mind
as long as you put it back where you got it when you're done with it."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: