This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Favorite gluten-free Baby Products

alamaz

alamaz Collaborator

Hello! I'm getting ready to have my first baby and would like to use gluten-free baby products. What are some good brands that are out there? I've read some Burt's Bee's stuff is gluten-free, what about California Baby? I'm trying to think of products that are easily available at Whole Foods or Target. Thanks for any suggestions!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guhlia Rising Star

California Baby's products state gluten free right on the label if they're gluten free. That's all I use in the way of personal care products on my baby. I also know that some of the A.R.B.ONNE baby stuff is gluten free, but I'm not sure which products.

April in KC Apprentice

Be careful with baby cereals - I would not use Gerber Rice cereal or Gerber Organic Rice Cereal, for instance. Too much CC risk. My youngest son used to reject and/or vomit these cereals prior to us finding out that he had gluten issues. We thought he might have a rice allergy - but after several months gluten free he was able to reintroduce gluten-free rice products without a problem. Someone posted here recently about a type of infant rice cereal that is not CC, but I think it's a brand sold at health food stores.

I think most infant fruits/veggies and of course fresh would be fine. Some types of baby yogurt might be okay.

For older babies, I rather like the Kinnikinnick animal crackers. Another finger food - Crispy Brown Rice by Erewhon - again not something you can find at Target.

Be aware that food proteins do pass through breastmilk - my oldest was sensitized to peanut this way (he has peanut allergy) and my youngest was sensitized to gluten this way. Both had rashes, etc., when they were exclusively breastfed.

Best wishes! Babies are so cool.

alamaz Collaborator

Thanks for the product tips. I'm really struggling with when to introduce gluten. Both my husband and I are celiac/gluten intolerant and we know the babies genetic make up will make him highly likely to develop celiac at some point. I wish there was a manual for this stuff but there just hasn't been enough research yet.

lizard00 Enthusiast

Congratulations!! Babies ARE too cool!

Just wanted to issue a beware... Burt's Bees either has been or is going to be purchased by Proctor and Gamble. So, keep your eyes open for any label changes. One of our health food stores has stopped carrying them, which is not cool since they are a local co for us here in the Raleigh/Durham area. I think that is due more to an issue with them not liking P&G rather than any immediate changes in Burt's Bees. I haven't stopped using them, as I have yet to see any changes, but I do keep a watch.

alamaz Collaborator

I just read that a few weeks ago about Burt's Bee's. A bummer I agree! I just switched all of my lip balm to Badger Balm and I think they have a whole line of products including a few baby things like diaper rash ointment.

• 2 weeks later...
Ladycates Apprentice
California Baby's products state gluten free right on the label if they're gluten free. That's all I use in the way of personal care products on my baby. I also know that some of the A.R.B.ONNE baby stuff is gluten free, but I'm not sure which products.

The only A.R.B.ONNE stuff that is gluten free is their diaper rash cream and their baby oil, everything else contains a gluten ingredient. California Baby is greeat!! I also use "Earth Mama, Angel Baby" because is smells amazing and is so wonderful to use. The soap is a nice foam with a pump dispenser! Love it on my new little babe!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Izak's Mom Apprentice
For older babies, I rather like the Kinnikinnick animal crackers. Another finger food - Crispy Brown Rice by Erewhon - again not something you can find at Target.

Another AWESOME older baby treat - Baby Mum Mum. It's a lightly sweetened gluten-free rice crackery thing that melts in the mouth & perfect for teething/first foods. My son used to love em. I think you can also mix them with breast milk or formula to make a sort of rice cereal mush.

Archived