This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Toaster Vs. Toaster Oven

DeerGirl

DeerGirl Apprentice

If you had a toaster oven already, did you replace it?

E.g., could a toaster oven be shared between gluten-free and non-gluten-free family members?

I don't have space for a 2nd toaster, so if I need to not use it, I'll just do my own "toasting" in my big stove I guess.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kbtoyssni Contributor

As long as you put your bread on a plate before putting it in the toaster oven, you'd probably be ok sharing. Just watch out for gluten crumbs that get on the top of the inside of the oven from gluten bread bumping it as it's taking out.

You could also try toaster bags: Open Original Shared Link

Then you could put your bread in a regular toaster.

Guest j_mommy

I would be really careful about using the same one. I have never used the toaster bags but they sounds great. Personally I wouldn't share, strictly b/c when I get CC'd now it's fast and quick!

MySuicidalTurtle Enthusiast

When I go to my Aunt's house I put my bread on aluminum foil before putting it in the toaster oven- it works our well!

gfcookie Newbie
If you had a toaster oven already, did you replace it?

E.g., could a toaster oven be shared between gluten-free and non-gluten-free family members?

I don't have space for a 2nd toaster, so if I need to not use it, I'll just do my own "toasting" in my big stove I guess.

if you put whateve ryou're toasting on tin foil, the gluten crumbs ont he bottom will not jump up and land on your item. it is different in a conventional toaster bc the sides of the toaster squeeze together to hold the bread on. clean out the rack, and just don't cook anything gluten-free on the rack w/o tinfoil under it.

gfcookie Newbie
I would be really careful about using the same one. I have never used the toaster bags but they sounds great. Personally I wouldn't share, strictly b/c when I get CC'd now it's fast and quick!

i've heard rumors of these "toaster bags" lol, but i have no idea what they are, where can one find them? And, are they used in the microwave or like in a toaster oven to keep things safe?

larry mac Enthusiast

No way no how. No gluten goes in my little nuclear convection toaster oven. My wife has her own pop-up toaster. Luckily for me, she comes from a family that thinks pop-up toast is real toast. I know better, coming from a family that never had a pop-up toaster, and grew up on real toast. You put the butter on the bread, and then toast it.

How I miss my sugar toast, and cinnamin toast. My Dad liked cheese toast. And one of my sisters made peanut butter and sugar toast.

Actually, I think you could share an oven toaster if you put aluminum foil down for the gluten toast and then discarded it afterwards. But I really don't trust gluten eaters to be concientious enough to always do the right gluten-free thing. They just can't help it, it's not their disease.

best regards, lm B)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

larry mac Enthusiast
i've heard rumors of these "toaster bags" lol, but i have no idea what they are, where can one find them? And, are they used in the microwave or like in a toaster oven to keep things safe?

Toast in the microwave? Now I've heard everything.

best regards, lm

gfcookie Newbie
No way no how. No gluten goes in my little nuclear convection toaster oven. My wife has her own pop-up toaster. Luckily for me, she comes from a family that thinks pop-up toast is real toast. I know better, coming from a family that never had a pop-up toaster, and grew up on real toast. You put the butter on the bread, and then toast it.

How I miss my sugar toast, and cinnamin toast. My Dad liked cheese toast. And one of my sisters made peanut butter and sugar toast.

Actually, I think you could share an oven toaster if you put aluminum foil down for the gluten toast and then discarded it afterwards. But I really don't trust gluten eaters to be concientious enough to always do the right gluten-free thing. They just can't help it, it's not their disease.

best regards, lm B)

i think the way to go is put down the foil for YOUR gluten-free bread. as, it is already contaminated with gluten. and then let everyone cook however they used to. you will be fine. try to get the crumbs out of the bottom for good measure, but really, its the same as using a conventional oven tha has cooked gluten items in it, you'll be fine.

ENF Enthusiast

We have the Panasonic NB-G100P Toaster Oven. After almost three years of daily use it's still going strong. It's an excellent choice if you frequently use store-bought frozen gluten-free bread, since slices that are frozen together come apart easily after a couple of minutes or less, and toast very nicely after five minutes more. It's also very good for small frozen pizzas, and other things.

Sweetfudge Community Regular

i went to walmart and bought a very small toaster oven for myself, didn't trust my hubby enough in that respect - like larry mac said :)

I really don't trust gluten eaters to be concientious enough to always do the right gluten-free thing. They just can't help it, it's not their disease.

add ADHD to the equation, and CC is a big problem in my house :rolleyes:

larry mac Enthusiast
i think the way to go is put down the foil for YOUR gluten-free bread. as, it is already contaminated with gluten. and then let everyone cook however they used to. you will be fine. try to get the crumbs out of the bottom for good measure, but really, its the same as using a conventional oven tha has cooked gluten items in it, you'll be fine.

Yeah gfc, you're right. Her toaster oven is already contaminated. My toaster oven has never been used for gluten bread, so I was thinking in reverse.

best regards, lm

dandelionmom Enthusiast

We've been using out toaster oven with no CC (daughter is very sensitive so I'd know!). I cleaned it really well and put aluminum foil down (and I slice slits in the foil so the bottom gets toasty too).

kbtoyssni Contributor

Here's a link to some: Open Original Shared Link

They're like a plastic bag that you put your toast in and then stick it in the toaster like usual. You can reuse them 100+ times. I use them in hotels to make toast in their contaminated toasters. You can also use them to make grilled cheese in the toaster - then any cheese drips go into the bag rather than down into the toaster to burn. I've even made cheese sandwiches at unsafe restaurants, put it in a toaster bag, and asked the waitress to toast/heat up any way she wants just KEEP IT IN THE BAG!!! so I have grilled cheese while everyone else eats buffet-style. They certainly decrease the stress of traveling.

jeanbean Newbie

Another vote for toaster ovens. It's the first thing I bought - it's on the other side of the kitchen just under my cupboard with all my gluten-free food. I love bread too much to not have one. Mine is a combination toaster and oven. It has the slits on top for toast, or I cook my meat, pizza, or whatever in the oven, seperate from my family's meal, so I know it's safe. It's not worth the risk for me. I feel sick for days even with one gluten crumb.

I've even moved the family toaster to a remote side of the kitchen away from the sink because I find the crumbs are everywhere. Every bit helps.

Archived