Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Iodine? And Rash Getting Worse

6 posts in this topic

Hello,

I have heard of iodine being a problem for gluten intolerant rashes . Would love to hear other people's opinions and experience. I recently bought new gluten free vitamins that have iodine from kelp worth 150% daily value of iodine. I don't use salt, except to make pickles. I am wondering if I need to watch this.

I have only been gluten free entirely for a month, but my rash is getting worse. I have elimanated the rash in the past by not eating wheat and it would only apear very lightly if I cheated and ate wheat, not with other gluten products. So now I am totally gluten free(no cheating and have been very careful) my rash has reappeared. It is not that bad, but worse than when I would cheat and eat wheat. Is this detox? My rash is watery filled blisters on palms of my hands that itch and burn.Then they break and scab over. Thank you so much for your advice.

Ads by Google:
Hello,

I have heard of iodine being a problem for gluten intolerant rashes . Would love to hear other people's opinions and experience. I recently bought new gluten free vitamins that have iodine from kelp worth 150% daily value of iodine. I don't use salt, except to make pickles. I am wondering if I need to watch this.

I have only been gluten free entirely for a month, but my rash is getting worse. I have elimanated the rash in the past by not eating wheat and it would only apear very lightly if I cheated and ate wheat, not with other gluten products. So now I am totally gluten free(no cheating and have been very careful) my rash has reappeared. It is not that bad, but worse than when I would cheat and eat wheat. Is this detox? My rash is watery filled blisters on palms of my hands that itch and burn.Then they break and scab over. Thank you so much for your advice.

From my experience, skin rashes are a outgrowth of fungus/yeast in the gut. The natural flora is gone and yeast has taken over.... dysbiosis. Sugar, honey, white rice, potato starch etc. will feed the fungus. Use stevia or agave instead and see if things get under control. Get some good probiotics from Natren like HT to help clear out the intestines and put some good guys in there. Pure coconut oil will also kill off the fungus in the intestines. If you are really loaded, do these things on a day where you are near the bathroom. .... get my drift?

ML

It sounds like it could be DH. I didnt develop a skin rash (unconfirmed DH) until after I went gluten-free. I haven't taken any meds w/ Iodine in it, but Iodine on my skin caused a pretty bad rash. Lots of people say that the rase usually gets worse before getting better since your body must get rid of the gluten that is built up in the body. It could take months for all the gluten to leave your body. You should avoid Iodine, but you can't avoid it completly since our bodies need iodine to survive. I use non-iodized salt at home and it has helped me out some.

You can always get a biopsy done by a dermatologist if you really want it confirmed as DH or not DH.

I have, well had, really severe DH. I have been gluten-free now for about 5 years. In the beginning I would get an outbreak from iodine in my vitamins. I had to change brands. However after about a year or so I was able to add them back in without any more problems. You may want to stop the vitamins for a bit and then if you still have doubt you could add them back in after you are healed up and see if the blisters come back.

Also as we heal sometimes we become more sensitive to nonfood contact, have you checked your lotions, any art project glues, pastes, clays, etc, been remodeling?

If you have Dh you get IGA (think it is IGA) deposits in your skin. It can take up to 2 years for the deposits to 'go away'. If they are still present it will take very little gluten to reactivate them.

My biggest clue to my DH going inactive was when instead of blisters being my first indication of gluten they became one of the last and very mild. I have only been glutened a couple of times in the last couple years and now I just get one or two tiny pinhead size blisters that are gone in a couple of days, instead of a couple of months.

I guess I really did not answer your question... sorry...

By going gluten free and avoiding many of the things that feed fungus you set your self up for a Herz. reaction or die off because you are starving the fungus/yeast in your body. Iodine is a known fungal killer and therefore more rash. A rash seems to be your body's die off reaction in most cases...

For me, it was all intestinal. For others it would be tiredness.

ML :)

Thanks for the advice/ opinions.

My rash is not bad, just interesting that it has reappeared. In the past I had it so horrible I could only use my thumb and first finger on my right hand. The rest of the hand was bad. It also got infected with staph and strep at the same time. :angry: Thanks again.