Top Celiac Supplements!
Posted 23 December 2004 - 09:33 PM
I've been enjoying reading all your messages.
Some questions.. if you had to put together a top 5 list of things you would recommend to a newbie, what would they be... food, or supplements..
here is my top 1
1. L-glutamine. This stuff, i used 2 take when into bodybuilding, and not only does it heal the intestinal track, it boosts the immune system.. i know from years of experience, it helps my digestive system.. and hundreds of research avail will support it
2. Omega-3's .. when i assumedi just had IBS, i took a product called "Omega+fit" by greenpluscanada.ca or .com or .org
it has normal epa and dha in it, plus GLA. A well known product for reducing inflammation.. exceptional supplement to take.
3. Book - healing the angry gut. This is an amazing read for those who want to truly understand the impact of food to the digestive system
4. Acidophilus.. i take it, never sure WHEN i need to replenish lost flora... i hope someone can add to this.
5. fibre ..
(and 6.. ..an answer to .. why do i get damn sick eating mcdonalds food and popcorn!!!)
Posted 24 December 2004 - 04:18 AM
1. Dont put anything in your mouth until you have read the ingredients and if in doubt, dont eat it!
2. Stick to unprocessed foods as much as possible--fresh meat, potatoes or rice, veggies and fruits---if terrible stomach problems--i didnt have trouble with dairy and i lived on cottage cheese and applesauce, peanut butter and quaker caramel corncakes!
3. Check the ingredients on your shampoo, bath soap, lotions, and medications you are taking--dont stop taking your medication without doctor's imput, but do request gluten-free meds!
4. Get your family involved--have them read up on celiacs so they understand what you have to look out for and have them learn ingredients too!
5. Dont panic if you get glutened, you may have a bad reaction, but get back on that horse--you havent failed, you just had an accident and have learned from it!
I wish I didnt have this disease, but if I have to have a disease I would want one that doesnt require medication to fix--I know many of us have other medical issues because of the celiacs and that cant be helped, but if we can catch this in our children before they have all these other problems that would be wonderful!
Hope this is helpful for some of you!
Long Island, NY
Double DQ1, subtype 6
We urge all doctors to take time to listen to your patients.. don't "isolate" symptoms but look at the whole spectrum. If a patient tells you s/he feels as if s/he's falling apart and "nothing seems to be working properly", chances are s/he's right!
"The calm river of your life approaches the rocky chute of the rapids - flow on through. You are the same water. The rocks cannot hurt you. Remember, now and then, that you are the water and not the boat. Flow on!
0 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users