This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Number 17 Positive Or What

Jeano

Jeano Newbie

I have been tested for Celaic disease with a blood test, the doctors office called today and said I was slightly positive??? I asked what does slightly means I am or Im not? She said well it means positive they look for some number test 11-17 and my # is 17, and said I should begin a gluten free diet asap and see if it helps my symptoms... I am a little lost does this mean I am Celiac?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

happygirl Collaborator

You need to call the doctor back. Ask for a follow up appointment. You'll need to know if they are planning on doing follow up testing. You can't go gluten free for certain procedures, like an endoscopy with biopsy, which confirms the diagnosis. Don't go gluten free until you discuss this further with your doctor.

Also ask for which blood tests were run, what the reference ranges are, and what your score was.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

If you have a postive blood test that does confirm that gluten is poison to you. If you are choosing to also have a biopsy done, and that is your choice, you will need to continue eating gluten until after the biopsy. If you are not going to have a biopsy done then you can go ahead and start your healing. No matter what the results of the biopsy are you still need to do the diet, biopsies can miss damage so they can rule celiac in but not out. You have found a good place for info and support, welcome.

Archived