#1 kali_mist

kali_mist

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 02:37 PM

Hello all,

I'm 6 weeks pregnant and I want to try and prevent stretch marks. I've heard that coco butter is the best thing to use but so far the couple of creams I've looked at contain wheat. Does anyone know of a brand that does not? Does anyone know if Palmers brand is ok? I was told that is the best kind to use. If anyone knows of something else that is supposed to prevent stretch marks I could use that instead.
~Julie~
Gluten-free since March 2007
Allergic to: soy, peanuts, almonds, hazelnuts, and mustard

"The sweet is never as sweet without the sour"

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Mango04

Mango04

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 03:12 PM

Hello all,

I'm 6 weeks pregnant and I want to try and prevent stretch marks. I've heard that coco butter is the best thing to use but so far the couple of creams I've looked at contain wheat. Does anyone know of a brand that does not? Does anyone know if Palmers brand is ok? I was told that is the best kind to use. If anyone knows of something else that is supposed to prevent stretch marks I could use that instead.

Look for one that's just pure cocoa butter (no other ingredients). I got one at my health food store that came in a stick - sort of like a really large chap stick. I can't remember what brand it was, but it worked really well (for dry skin)...
"Let food be thy medicine, and let thy medicine be food." - Hippocrates

#3 alamaz

alamaz

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 04:23 PM

I've heard you have to stay away from Palmer's also. I bought a jar of 100% pure coca butter and use that. it's kinda funky in that the one i have at least is solid so i scrape some off and put in the microwave to soften it/melt it into an oil but it feels so good going on (and it's great to put on your feet too!!!)
Diagnosed with Celiac Disease February 2007
Finally feeling better than ever!

#4 Katrinm

Katrinm

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 17 February 2008 - 05:13 AM

Received sample of a Belly Cream from Herbology Beauty Co. Whole company is gluten free because woman who started it is celiac. She said product would be going on sale this month. Had Organic Cocoa and Organic Shea Butter.

#5 SDW

SDW

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 12:31 AM

Hello all,

Queen Helene offers a 100% cocoa butter. This is a great product and is available at any convenience store at a very affordable price.

#6 ShadowSwallow

ShadowSwallow

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 05:05 PM

J/A/S/O/N has a cream with cocoabutter in it. It felt rather thick/sticky on my skin, though, and made me itch, but that has more to do with my other allergies/sensitivities. It's gluten-free, and I found it at the GNC.

Queen Helene is the brand that Mango's referring to, and that one's my favorite. :)

#7 sneezydiva

sneezydiva

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 08:42 AM

Queen Helene offers a 100% cocoa butter. This is a great product and is available at any convenience store at a very affordable price.

Sally Beauty Supply also carries Queen Helene.
Celiac blood testing negative July 2007
Confirmed diagnosis of wheat allergy by skin test Dec 2007
Gluten-lite since July 2007 (didn't know all the hidden sources of gluten)
Gluten-free since December 2007

Life Long Symptoms
Extreme fatigue--needing 10-12 hours of sleep and still woke up exhusted
Allergic to everything--allergies remained out of control despite shots and strict enviornmental controls in my home.
Severe "sinus" headaches

More Recent Symptoms
IBS symptoms
Severe stabbing stomach pains that started 6 months before diagnosis of wheat allergy.

In my heart I feel it is more than an allergy and that I am gluten intolerant. This is based on my how eerily my childhood maladies match most celiac's histories, and my more recent increase in the severity of my usual symptoms and new digestive symptoms that have already started to subside on the gluten-free diet.

#8 Michi8

Michi8

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 07:41 PM

I hope that you're able to find a product that is gluten free, I don't have any suggestions for you.

Unfortunately, no amount of cream will prevent stretch marks. Some develop them in the first pregnancy, some are lucky enough to never develop them, and some, like me, only develop them (on the belly) after multiple pregnancies...I had stretch markes elsewhere before pregnancy, likely because of EDS (Ehlers Danlos Syndrome). :)

Michelle

Hello all,

#9 Ursa Major

Ursa Major

My grandson Eli, 12 months

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 07:58 PM

I bought just recently a great cream, called 'Natural Body Butter' from Dr. Mercola's website. Here is the link (scroll down to the bottom to find the body butter) http://shop.mercola....l-Care-c16.aspx

Here are the ingredients:
Organic aloe vera juice, distilled water, organic virgin coconut oil, emulsifying wax (plant-based), organic jojoba oil, monolaurin, organic shea butter, organic mango butter, and natural palm oil.

I bought three tubs of it (because they had a special that you'd get free shipping on your entire order if you bought three), and gave one to my pregnant daughter. I haven't heard back from her yet on how she likes it, but will ask her tomorrow.
I am a German citizen, married to a Canadian 29 years, four daughters, one son, seven granddaughters and four grandsons, with one more grandchild on the way in July 2009.

Intolerant to all lectins (including gluten), nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) and salicylates.

Asperger Syndrome, Tourette Syndrome, Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency), hypothyroidism, fatigue syndrome, asthma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#10 mommy2two99

mommy2two99

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 06:57 PM

Congratulations on your pregnancy!

Honestly, I don't believe in all the cocoa butter stuff preventing stretch marks. I really thing it is genetics. But, I haven't checked if it was gluten-free or not, but with my last baby, someone gave me some Avon stuff. You may want to check that out.

Good luck with your pregnancy!
Amy

gluten-free since June 2007

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: