This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gluten Digest?

Del

Del Rookie

Hi....

I'd like to know if anyone on here has used Gluten Digest and what their results were?

Thanks!

Del

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lisa Mentor
Hi....

I'd like to know if anyone on here has used Gluten Digest and what their results were?

Thanks!

Del

I am not familiar with it. What is it?

kbtoyssni Contributor

Here's a link to some info: Open Original Shared Link

This particular product doesn't seem to claim it's for people with celiac. I'm guessing it's for non-celiacs, kindof like a digestive enzyme? I don't know a lot about digestive enzymes (try doing a search, I know they've been discussed before), but my general impression is that they can be helpful. BUT - I do not think that this product is intended to be taken by a celiac prior to consuming gluten. If that is the claim or the way people use it, I think it will end up harming you. I don't think there is any way this enzyme can "digest" all gluten particles for you, and if a few particles are undigested, you will be damaging your intestine.

There have been some recent FDA trials about new drugs that will help celiacs digest gluten. These are currently being marketed for accidental glutenings, though, not so you can go out and eat a slice of gluten pizza.

Del Rookie
I am not familiar with it. What is it?

It's put out by NOW.....there web site is www.now.com Supposed to allow us to eat some gluten.....I don't want to try it until I've heard from someone that used it successfully!

Del Rookie

Thanks...I saw there ad at a grocery store (many Gluten Free items sold there too).....their ad claimed 20 Million Americans who have difficulty digesting gluten, can consider this a personal invitation to enjoy your favorite foods once again! Advertised for Gluten sensitivity and intolerance.

I did go to their web site Before posting but didn't get the same claims on there so I sure wasn't going to try it without hearing from some people who had used it!!!

Sure appreciate your comments!!! Thanks again!

Del

kbtoyssni Contributor

Ah, so it is being marketed as a product for celiacs! I would note that there is a disclaimer that none of their claims are evaluated by the FDA so it is unlikely there is any evidence or medical study to back them up.

Here's a recent thread on AT-1001, a similar drug that is working to get FDA approval right now. Search for AT-1001, I know some people on this site have participated in the clinical trials for it. Even if this does get approved, I do not plan to take it.

Open Original Shared Link

Lisa Mentor

This is interesting.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

AliB Enthusiast

I think because of the mess 'science' has made of our food and the problems we are experiencing because of it, I would be pretty skeptical about taking yet another chemical 'concoction' to combat the damage!

Just like 'science' seems to be unaware of the damage to our guts, how would we know this wasn't actually giving us yet something else to be quietly and insidiously causing us damage!

Del Rookie

Thanks for the link....I just checked out and I'm with you....I don't want to "TRY" it without a lot more proof!!!!

Del Rookie

Thanks for the link! I'm going to keep my eye on this.

Del Rookie
I think because of the mess 'science' has made of our food and the problems we are experiencing because of it, I would be pretty skeptical about taking yet another chemical 'concoction' to combat to combat the damage

'Fraid I have to agree with you wholeheartedly!!!!

Takala Enthusiast

It's a supplement, consisting of probiotic type enzymes, and not a pharmaceutical drug, so it does not fall under FDA supervision unless they make bogus claims that it has the actions of a drug... that being said, the manufacturers are really pushing the limit of what would be acceptable in their claims for this product, because they are saying that it would "help digest gluten" for "individuals who have not been otherwise able to tolerate many of their favorite foods." Thus implying it would be for "gluten intolerance" a known medical condition.

They might not be claiming out right that it is for the treatment of celiac, but they surely are MARKETING to people with celiac or gluten intolerance, and there is no reason to actually take this stuff, because there is no scientific proof that this supplement would actually render the gluten harmless to the gluten intolerant person. Even if it made it "easier to digest" there is no proof that it would break down all gluten proteins consumed to where they would not provoke any auto immune response. It doesn't matter if it feels easier to digest the food or not, it is what is going on in the whole body in terms of provoking antibodies to be created. The world is full of undiagnosed people who already don't react dramatically enough to gluten containing foods that they become immediately ill upon consumption of them, and hence don't realize they are harming themselves.

The last thing that would be good for someone is to gain the ability to eat something that is silently causing great harm and other complications.

Supplements are not manufactured so they have to "prove" that they work. Some supplements do have beneficial properties, such as vitamins and minerals, and some herbs, others are harmless but useless, and some are dangerous if they are taken to replace the function of a medicine or to supposedly allow the person to continue the bad habit if they just take a "magic pill."

here's some advertisements for this product, "Gluten Digest."

quote: "The precise arrangement of enzymes used to formulate BioCore

Del Rookie

These companies rely on consumers that don't/won't investigate their products before buying due to their "fanciful" advertisements!!!! They say that millions/billions of dollars are spent each year on false cures for this arthritis and other illnesses....such a shame!!

OneScrewLoose Rookie

Would this product help -maintain- a gluten-free diet? As in, would it help one prevent from getting "glutened" because of trace particles in food?

Takala Enthusiast

NO.

But the advertisers are implying it would, which is not only false, but dangerous.

Archived