This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gluten Blocker Now Being Tested!

Joni63

Joni63 Collaborator

I found this interesting.

Open Original Shared Link

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

happygirl Collaborator

Thanks for sharing the link!

AT-1001 has been in various phases of clinical trials for the past few years, and has moved along very quickly, with all positive reports.

Zonulin was identified by Dr. Alessio Fasano, a leading Celiac researcher/pediatric GI at the Univ oF MD-Baltimore (www.celiaccenter.org). More info can be found at: Open Original Shared Link

jerseyangel Proficient

I saw the report last night. It was very good--it featured Jax Peters Lowell, author of The Gluten Free Bible. She's taking part in the study of the new med.

jkmunchkin Rising Star

Very interesting. Sounds like the study is really moving along well.

Someone might want to let the news anchors know what gluten is though. I think they might have thought it was sugar (glucose); because at the end they said you can always see the gluten content of what you buy in the supermarket listed on the back of the package. Last time I checked that wasn't in the nutrition information. ;)

RiceGuy Collaborator

Something tells me there are side effects, but they just don't know yet. Just like a Celiac can go undiagnosed for years, so can a side effect. Also, it doesn't mean one can eat gluten on any regular basis. I get the impression it's mainly for CC, like you might get from eating out.

I won't be taking it. I also think it's just a "bandaid", and the real problem is that wheat is no longer what nature intended.

Joni63 Collaborator
I saw the report last night. It was very good--it featured Jax Peters Lowell, author of The Gluten Free Bible. She's taking part in the study of the new med.

I know! I thought it was facinating that she was taking part in the study. Should be interesting to see the results in the end.

Something tells me there are side effects, but they just don't know yet. Just like a Celiac can go undiagnosed for years, so can a side effect. Also, it doesn't mean one can eat gluten on any regular basis. I get the impression it's mainly for CC, like you might get from eating out.

I won't be taking it. I also think it's just a "bandaid", and the real problem is that wheat is no longer what nature intended.

I just said this to my husband this morning. I was wondering how many people will think they can eat gluten daily and just take these pills to counteract it.

I also think it is a bandaid of sorts. I can't say that I won't every try it though. I think it would be nice to have something to carry with me in case I ever run into a situation where I have to eat some place where I can't get gaurenteed gluten free food. It might also be nice for those who travel a lot in their jobs.

dbmamaz Explorer

I'm thinking about all the people who know they're celiac but arent willing to do the diet - might help them, some at least. The bigger problem is that doctors (who so often say, oh, you dont want to go on that diet, its too hard or too expensive) will prescribe a pill and never give any information about the diet. On the other hand, with a drug to sell, the testing for celiac should become more common!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kbtoyssni Contributor

My first response was that maybe this will increase awareness and diagnosis if drug manufacturers are promoting the disease. BUT - I worry that the diagnosis will be taken lightly. I think of the few people I know with lactose intolerance and they take lactase most of the time, but not all of the time. I also don't want this to affect my ability to get truly gluten-free food. It's certainly my biggest personal worry - will restaurants stop taking me seriously if they think I can just take a pill?

kbtoyssni Contributor

DELETED - double post.

tom Contributor

Ugh they call it "Gluten Blocker"?!

What it really treats is leaky-gut. I'd have to read a LOT more to be convinced there's no damage from celiac w/out the intestinal permeability issue.

In fact, I'm wondering now if they assert that the villi problems can't occur w/out leaky-gut. Hmmmmm

So far, I can only agree that the celiac issues in OTHER parts of the body, i.e. neurological for one, won't happen w/out leaky-gut allowing the baddies into the bloodstream. (This isn't an endorsement of AT1001's ability to accomplish this & I don't even know about the ability to even measure the effectiveness)

jerseyangel Proficient
What it really treats is leaky-gut.

This is my thinking too. They said in the report that they are testing it on Celiacs, but it may of use with other autoimmune diseases.

What I wonder is, will this pill have any effect on other food protein intolerances? While I wouldn't use it so I could eat gluten (shudder), I might give it a try so I could have a more varied diet since I have several other sensitivites.

Joni63 Collaborator
What I wonder is, will this pill have any effect on other food protein intolerances? While I wouldn't use it so I could eat gluten (shudder), I might give it a try so I could have a more varied diet since I have several other sensitivites.

I wouldn't use it to eat gluten either. Now that I'm away from it and I know it's bad for me, eating it on purpose just doesn't seem like an option. My thinking is that it would provide a measure of safety where cross contamination could possibly be an issue.

It would be great if it could help with leaky gut issues too.

Lawrence Apprentice

Here is a list of places within ten miles of where I live that you can buy the new pill: Open Original Shared Link In the Mrs. Green's add it says it is not FDA approved yet but I would give it a try. I'm kind of surprised most people are so reluctant to even try it. I would not go off the diet 100% but I would at least have one day a week where I would take the pill and enjoy some regular food. I got to admit I really miss real Italian and Chinese food. The Italian substitutes aren't that bad but there is nothing like the real thing. I also guess it depends on the person though. I never had any of the symptoms of Celiac, only when I had accidental gluten after being on the diet was I affected and that was mostly through alcohol. I think the best thing is for each person to talk it over with there doctor and see where their gluten levels are before they start the pill and where they are and how they feel one month later. It will work for some and probably fail for some others. I think this is a good break through.

tom Contributor
Here is a list of places within ten miles of where I live that you can buy the new pill:

Not sure what pill you're talking about, but this thread is about AT-1001, which is still in clinical trials and hence NOT available commercially.

RiceGuy Collaborator
My first response was that maybe this will increase awareness and diagnosis if drug manufacturers are promoting the disease. BUT - I worry that the diagnosis will be taken lightly. I think of the few people I know with lactose intolerance and they take lactase most of the time, but not all of the time. I also don't want this to affect my ability to get truly gluten-free food. It's certainly my biggest personal worry - will restaurants stop taking me seriously if they think I can just take a pill?

Yeah, now that might be a real concern. Let's face it, the entire medical industry is an "after the fact" sort of thing. They are reactive, not proactive. In other words, people seem to seek medical attention or take care of themselves only after something goes wrong.

This is my thinking too. They said in the report that they are testing it on Celiacs, but it may of use with other autoimmune diseases.

What I wonder is, will this pill have any effect on other food protein intolerances?

Now that's a really good point. I mean, if it can help other conditions, then it must block other molecules, right? So that tells me there will be more malabsorption due to certain things being blocked. Maybe the initial reaction from gluten doesn't occur, but then you'll have to wait till the drug wears off, then swallow heaps of supplements to make up for the loss of all the nutrients. Great, so it turns good food into junk food. Yet another medical marvel.

I hope that's not what's happening, but something tells me it is, or at the very least it will turn out to do more harm than good. But chances are we just won't know about it until people start dying.

OneScrewLoose Rookie

I'd try it first chance I get. I'm in college. I have roommates...it's far too difficult, I'd worry about the side-effects when I'm out of college.

Lawrence Apprentice

I was talking about this pill: Open Original Shared Link Gluten Digest

happygirl Collaborator

The best explanation I have read about AT-1001 is Open Original Shared Link

YoloGx Rookie
The best explanation I have read about AT-1001 is Open Original Shared Link

I just read the article--it is fascinating. I for one would like such a pill just to eliminate cross contamination reactions when I might want to go to a restaurant and/or go travelling. It could make life a lot easier and a bit less neurotic.

Obviously however they have a ways to go before proving its safe...

Neverthelss I like the idea that scientists are trying to do something to make our lives a little easier.

debmidge Rising Star

I read the description on the NOW product and it's not the same thing as the 2 Prescriptions being worked on. This NOW product works on enzymes; a celiac has to worry about grain proteins. It doesn't state that Gluten Digest breaks down proteins....

The NOW product, from what I can tell, is just to assist the digestive system to digest gluten, it does not appear to render it inactive in order to avoid absorption and the resulting "glutening" a celiac has.

I'd run it by my doctor first before I embarked on taking this as a "real" medication.

Lawrence Apprentice

Well then I guess that it is good to here that there is more than one pill being worked on. Yes, you are right, the smart thing to do is to talk to your doctor before talking any new medications, especially when it pertains to allergies.

SunnyDyRain Enthusiast

I'd be happy to add it to my current diet... lots of CC issues and that gets me sick. I do well not eating "gluten" it's just all the CC that gets me! If that can help me i'd be forever thankful.

jayhawkmom Enthusiast

Very interesting. It's similar (in effect) to Xolair. Xolair was going to be the "saving grace" for those who are allergic to peanuts. Unfortunately, no one wants to be involved in the trials due to the fact that it's horrifically dangerous. It's going to be GREAT for asthmatics, someday... but I think I'll keep my peanut allergic daughter from thinking it'll make everything, "OK." Same with this type of thing. But, wow.... if taking a pill could eliminate the issues related to cross contamination, what a wonderful thing that would be. I don't, however, think it would be alright to take it and assume that eating gluten was all of a sudden "safe." KWIM?

kbtoyssni Contributor
Here is a list of places within ten miles of where I live that you can buy the new pill: Open Original Shared Link In the Mrs. Green's add it says it is not FDA approved yet but I would give it a try. I'm kind of surprised most people are so reluctant to even try it. I would not go off the diet 100% but I would at least have one day a week where I would take the pill and enjoy some regular food. I got to admit I really miss real Italian and Chinese food. The Italian substitutes aren't that bad but there is nothing like the real thing. I also guess it depends on the person though. I never had any of the symptoms of Celiac, only when I had accidental gluten after being on the diet was I affected and that was mostly through alcohol. I think the best thing is for each person to talk it over with there doctor and see where their gluten levels are before they start the pill and where they are and how they feel one month later. It will work for some and probably fail for some others. I think this is a good break through.

We just had a thread on the product in your link recently. It's the digestive enzyme Gluten Digest. This pill is not seeking FDA approval and is different than AT-1001.

I'm one of those who is not planning on trying AT-1001. I am always very nervous about side effects and ever since my run-in with celiac a few years ago I'm trying not to take drugs and other things that could be potentially toxic to my body. I also will not deviate from the gluten-free diet, pill or no pill, so there's very little benefit in this for me. I do see a benefit in taking it when I go to restaurants because of the risk of CC even when ordering a gluten-free meal, and maybe eventually I will start taking them for this situation. It's going to be a while before I decide to take that step, though.

Archived