This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

What Are Your Favourite Chocolatey Baking Mixes?

krysmaralie

krysmaralie Newbie

Hi everyone,

I'm brand new at the gluten-free diet and do not yet have all of the baking ingredients. I'm taking a dessert to a dinner party this weekend and don't have a lot of time to prepare so I would rather by an all-in-one packet mix then a bunch of different flours.

I was wondering if you had any recommendations on some good dessert gluten-free mixes? Or a good chocolate cake mix that I could take with some ice cream? Its my first gluten-free social experience and I'm a little nervous and would like the dessert to taste almost as good as the real thing! :)

Thanks in advance,

Krystal

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lisa Mentor

Pamela's Chocolate Cake with Rasberry Sauce.....sinfull.

HAK1031 Enthusiast

Gluten Free Pantry Chocolate cake mix is also a favorite :)

celiac-mommy Collaborator
Pamela's Chocolate Cake with Rasberry Sauce.....sinfull.

Me too, but using the mocha recipe on the side of the bag, I don't think I've ever tasted a better cake--EVER!!

I use a ganache as frosting:

2c heavy whipping cream-bring just to boil-remove from heat

add 12 oz pgk chocolate chips

let set for 2 minutes, stir and cool a bit before frosting the cooled cake

missy'smom Collaborator

This thread has a recipe for individual chocolate truffle cakes that are very good and easy to make. They require only a tablespoon or two of flour.

Open Original Shared Link

loco-ladi Contributor

I vote for "cause your special" brand brownies! Had to stop keeping these in the house was going thru a package every day!

Mango04 Enthusiast

I like Cause Your Special too. I also like Bob's Red Mill gluten-free brownies (add some chocolate chips before baking).

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Green12 Enthusiast

I have to give a big thumbs up to Pamela's Chocolate Cake Mix also, it's very good.

Pamela's Brownie Mix makes really good brownies too.

Mango04 Enthusiast
I have to give a big thumbs up to Pamela's Chocolate Cake Mix also, it's very good.

Oh yeah - that one too. I made cupcakes with it a couple weeks ago and added Pamelas vanilla sprinkle frosting. It was great! :D

jkmunchkin Rising Star

Namaste chocolate cake mix. I like to make cupcakes with vanilla frosting.

happygirl Collaborator
Gluten Free Pantry Chocolate cake mix is also a favorite :)

Add some homemade butter cream icing to the top and some ice cream on the side, and that's close to heaven.

blueeyedmanda Community Regular

Gluten Free Pantry Truffle Brownies!!! Even non gluten free people love them. They are amazing!

lpellegr Collaborator

If you want to bake from scratch, try this awesome flourless chocolate mousse cake.

Preheat oven to 350. Grease a springform pan (they recommend 8 or 9 inches, but it comes out fine in larger size) and sprinkle it with ground almonds if you have them.

In a double boiler or the microwave, melt 1 and 1/4 sticks of butter and 10 and 1/2 oz dark chocolate (they recommend 70% cocoa, but others work) and 1 and 1/2 cups of sugar, stirring frequently.

Beat 5 eggs. Add 1T ground almonds, but I really don't think you'll notice if you leave them out. Fold the eggs into the melted chocolate mix and stir until thickened, several minutes. Pour the cake into the pan, smooth the top, bake 45 minutes or until the top is set and beginning to crack. When cooled, remove the sides of the pan and cut.

If you don't have a springform pan, use any kind of pan - it will still taste amazing, but you won't get nice neat slices. Heck, I never get nice neat slices anyway but nobody seems to care once they taste it.

blueeyedmanda Community Regular

I am sitting here drooling over the flourless cake. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Takala Enthusiast

Cake .... mix? :rolleyes:

Okay, but you need to drop by the store and pick up a brand spanking new, nice clean gluten free baking dish before you make this, otherwise you might accidently gluten yourself with the residue on the old ones. And throw out the old spatula and wooden spoon.

I like baked things so much I have to do the 10 types of obscure ingredients routine as to slow down the production rate because I don't have the metabolism to eat the results every day. :D

JNBunnie1 Community Regular
Cake .... mix? :rolleyes:

Okay, but you need to drop by the store and pick up a brand spanking new, nice clean gluten free baking dish before you make this, otherwise you might accidently gluten yourself with the residue on the old ones. And throw out the old spatula and wooden spoon.

I like baked things so much I have to do the 10 types of obscure ingredients routine as to slow down the production rate because I don't have the metabolism to eat the results every day. :D

HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!! I try to do from scratch stuff too, here's a good one:

https://www.celiac.com/articles/932/1/Hot-F...Free/Page1.html

You don't need a crapload of different flours for this, just rice flour will work fine. It's unbelievably friggin fantastic, and super easy, especially if you bake it in a Pyrex that has a lid. Although a baking mix would be even easier.

krysmaralie Newbie

Wow thanks so much everyone for the ideas! My local health store had the Pamela's Chocolate cake mix so I'm going to give that a go for the party - however now I have so many other ideas to try! Yummo!

Thanks again :)

• 1 month later...
BIZABET Newbie

Next time try Magic Layer bars. These are an old standby, originally made with grahm crackers. YOu can use any gluten-free crumb--even your own dried bread crumbs, but we usually use a box of the Rice Bran Crackers. You melt a stick of butter, sprinkle 1 1/2 c crumbs over that, pour a regular 14 oz size can of sweetened condensed milk over that. Then the fun--you can play with whatever sweet goodies you want. The basic recipe is 1 c semi sweet chocolate morsels, 1 cup chopped nuts and 1 1/3 c sweetened flaked coconut, but you can add or change--peanut butter chips, m and m's and so forth. I like to toss all the goodies together because I think they stick better. Sprinkle on your choice of goodies and pat down into the milk mixture. Bake about 25 min until lightly browned at 350 in a 13 by 9 pan. Dad said they were the best cookie he'd had since he had to gluten-free!

We also make a from scratch chocolate yogurt cake that we mix up cake mix style ahead of time. All the dry ingredients can go in a ziplock bag, and then when you are ready to bake, you add the eggs oil and yogurt. I use B. Hagman's 3 bean flour mix as the base and my brother in law likes it better than with wheat. (of course the 1/2 inch of chocolate fudge butter cream icing might have something to do with it)

Another killer one is Ghiradelli's Double Chocolate cookies--the recipe uses so little flour that subsituting our flours didn't affect the recipe. This is the basic recipe. Open Original Shared Link

To change it, I use 2 whole eggs and 1 yolk, adding dried egg white to make up for the other white, and maybe 1/8 t of x gum. NOTE if you try these, slice them rolls as soon as it's firm enough to hold shape, and then chill the slices until firm. I didn't the first time round and gave myself blisters cutting the cookies. Apparently Ghirardelli has sharper knives than I do. Also, VERY good if you use peanut butter chips as all or part of the semi sweet chocolate. I also found out you can bake frozen (the recipe says to thaw) ; but it works just fine if you use a slower oven and bake longer. Great for "need chocolate now, no time to bake" fits.

Archived