Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

New To Gluten Free... Feeling Spacey

9 posts in this topic

Another question from a newbie here. It has been about a week and a half now since my daughter and I went gluten free. We both went on a regiment of supplements as recommended as well. We both have adjusted pretty easily and are feeling great. My only side effect has been that I feel a little spacey sometimes during the day. It was especially bad the first three days.... it seems to be getting a little better each day. My energy and mood are great... it is just kind of a cloudy feeling. For example during exercise, biking is easy, but with tennis my focus, timing are cloudy. Is it normal for some people to go through this? Is there something I can do about it or do I just have to wait it out until it goes away?

Ads by Google:

Apparently you are going through withdrawal. Be glad you are only feeling spacey, some people feel like they are going off hard drugs! Gluten acts like an opioid on the brains of people who are intolerant. Your brain isn't happy with you 'depriving' it of its favourite drug.

I am glad you are otherwise feeling so much better. I am sure the spacey feeling will be gone shortly, and you will feel sharper mentally than you have in a long time.

I feel like that too sometimes where it can happen when I simply talk to someone and then embarassingly ask them to repeat the question; but I get dizzy with it too sometimes. It only lasts for a few seconds but it's stupid.

How long do 'withdrawl' symptoms last, in general?

Hi - I would add that besides going gluten free you also started taking some supplements and and for some reason one of them may be causing a slight allergic reaction or just not be the right supplement for you. You may not have the same requirements as your daughter. If it doesn't clear up shortly as you feel better yet, look around and see what else might be doing that to you. I find that when my neck muscles tighten up I get a little spacy. It seems to slow the flow of blood to the brain so I massage and relax the muscles and I feel much more alert.

Thanks Marian..... I get the neck thing some times too, so I know what you mean, so I will try that. As far as the supplements go, I have always taken supplemental vitamins for sports etc. I did not add anything I have not taken before, just shifted a little. I will go back to the normal amounts to see, but I dont think that is it..... Another day and another spacey feeling for me today. A couple people have told me this can happen when first going gluten free...... but a week and a half seems long... Fortunately, my body feeling better makes it feel worth it.

It can take a while for the body to adjust, after all, if you have been loading this stuff into your body for years, it isn't going to change overnight.

I have been off gluten, dairy, most carbs and sugars for nearly 3 weeks and am still getting detox/withdrawal symptoms.

I had a permanent headache for well over a week until 2 days ago, yesterday I also had a fright with a very sore liver, but as it seems a bit better today, I think it had had a 'flush' out and off-loaded a heap of crud as I was 3lb lighter this morning than I was yesterday! Better out than in, as they say and the less fatty and congested it is, the better.

Are you sure also that there is not something else you are also getting a background reaction to? Sometimes it can be difficult to pinpoint, especially if the reaction is delayed.

Almost two weeks gluten free now... I feel less spacey today.... definitely getting better, now it is just spells of it here and there, but obviously getting better. Thank goodness....

I notice the same thing at times - more right after I was diagnosed than I do now. I started checking my blood sugar and found that at the times I felt "spacey" my blood sugar was low. Turned out changing my diet wreaked havoc on my blood sugar. Now that I'm more comfortable with the diet, and eating more variety, I have much more control over it. Anyway, don't want to rain on everyone's parade, but you may want to be careful.

Rebbecca

I felt spacey for a long, long time after I stopped with the foods that made me sick. I think I had additional intolerances that took me longer to figure out that prolonged the process though.

I get spacey every time I get cross-contaminated now.

I felt spacey for a long, long time after I stopped with the foods that made me sick. I think I had additional intolerances that took me longer to figure out that prolonged the process though.

I get spacey every time I get cross-contaminated now.

When i feel the brain fog i take a b50 complex vitamin. For me its a complete life saver.

Its actually quite astonishing how fast it works for me. I think its because my body has

issues absorbing all the appropriate b vitamins and i am deficient. B50 vitamin literally works in

about 10 min to clear my mind and make me feel back to earth.

It cant hurt to try it and from what i understand if you body has to much of the b vitamins you will

just get rid of the excess when you pee.