This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

How Do I Cook Something For 15-20 Guests?

alamaz

alamaz Collaborator

I'm having a baby shower in two weeks and I can't decide if I want to have it catered or make the food myself. How hard would it be to cook for 15-20 people and what types of things would I cook? I have a double oven and a crock pot but that's about it. Any suggestions?

Amy

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tarnalberry Community Regular

you can make a number of easy dishes and not everyone has to eat the same thing. I've cooked for that number a couple of times before, and things like pasta, stir-fries (particularly a couple different kinds), soups/stews, and casseroles work really well. having appetizers (fresh veggies, for instance) helps too, as the meal itself doesn't have to be so large. a big assortment of fresh fruit for dessert also helps make the meal yet smaller. ;)

loco-ladi Contributor

I recently had my anniversary/reception party, and planned for 100 guests and if you plan ahead its pretty easy.......

meat/cheese/veggie trays are always a great thing, I took a trip to my local deli and personally inspected each and every label and picked out the ones I could eat, also very carefully explained to the clerk about my "food allergy" and she took extra care to clean the slicer before using it for my purchases, she also informed the other clerks to please use other machines until she was done with my order...... and YES I turned in a compliment card for her!

lets not forget cake! I used the "cause your special brand" cake mix (yellow) and made up a couple with homemade frosting, everyone loved it! Even had members from the bar coming over saying what a great cake it was, lol they may have been drunk but they had awesome taste in cake, lol

cookies etc also many companies make cookie mixes that are very easy and aren't half bad as far as taste goes

Chips n dips are also always a good hit, a good plain tater chip with a couple interesting choices in dips make quite a few happy guests

dandelionmom Enthusiast

If you can find a good gluten-free pie crust or recipe (I like the one from Whole Foods), it is easy to make quiches. For that many people, I'd make 4. Serve it with a nice fruit salad and a green salad and maybe some breakfast mea.

lpellegr Collaborator

Lasagna or baked ziti with gluten-free pasta (Tinkyada is best). Deviled eggs. Swedish meatballs in the crockpot (use stale gluten-free bread for crumbs). Stuffed mushrooms with gluten-free ingredients. Some of these may be time consuming, but you could make meatballs or lasagna ahead and freeze, boil eggs and stuff at the last minute. With cheese plates, etc. If you have non-gluten-free bread for sandwiches, put it in another room from the rest and have a note by the deli platter instructing people to go get it after everything else is on their plates so they don't contaminate your serving utensils. Good ice cream with toppings (nuts and syrups and crushed gluten-free cookies) for dessert. Check all labels, of course.

Mango04 Enthusiast

A taco bar or a big salad bar might work.

imsohungry Collaborator

Did you already tell everyone you are serving a meal? If not, you may want to consider a variety of appetizers.

Of course, for people with Celiac or for guests with food allergies, you could set up a separate small table (or make all of the appetizers gluten-free).

At my baby shower, we had simple trays of finger foods that could be purchased or quickly put together at your home. Most grocery stores will give you a few plastic serving trays and lids for free (in the deli/bakery department) if you ask them.

Hope this helps. -Julie :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

sickchick Community Regular

In your crock pot you could do a nice pork roast and submerge it in a green verde (mexican) sauce, adding some onions and bellpeppers, and serve it as a meal with homemade spanish rice and garlicky black beans? You could do easy tortilla chips & salsa and guacamole or something too?

Lime sorbet for desert?

have fun!!! B)

sarad1 Apprentice

A very easy and inexpensive crock pot meal is salsa chicken. Place frozen chicken breasts on bottom of crock pot and pour salsa on top. Be sure that all of the chicken breasts have salsa on top, and as it cooks down it makes a nice saucy marinade for slow cooking the chicken. This is one of our favorite gluten free meals.

kbabe1968 Enthusiast

Hi there! Unless you know an "allergen" caterer I think you'd be better off doing the food yourself. I've done meals for more than that and it is really not hard.

Think finger foods...

Veggie tray with dip (there are some that are gluten free or you could make your own)

Fruit Tray with dip

Chips/tortilla chips with dips or salsas

Big salad w/ variety of dressings

Meal stuff could be:

Chicken Salad

Tuna Salad

Egg Salad

OR Meat and cheese tray

Or you could go themed with the food and prep it all ahead so all you have to do is warm up the day of the party.

I have some recipes I'd be more than happy to share.

I've thrown a few showers in my day and even before being gluten free did all the food myself. :D

YOU CAN DO IT!!!

celiac-mommy Collaborator

This is our favorite, make a day ahead (without the cheese) and then add the cheese and more dressing right before serving.

For 15-20 people:

2 bags favorite (small) pasta, I like colored rotini--and it looks pretty

1 container feta cheese (I use ATHENOS basil/tomato)

4 roma tomato's

2 cucumbers-

1 bottle Kalamata olives (or black)

1 pkg pepperoni

1 big bottle italian dressing--I like the zesty

While cooking the pasta, chop tomatos, peel, half, and slice the cukes, slice the olives (or not), chop up the pepperoni. If making a day ahead, add everything but the cheese and 1/2 the bottle of dressing. Mix well and refrigerate. When ready to serve, add cheese and the rest of the dressing, toss to coat/mix and serve. It keeps really well. You might want to buy 2 bottles of dressing just in case--everyone's taste is different!

larry mac Enthusiast

I'd get pizza for everyone and eat something gluten-free yourself.

best regards, lm

mandasmom Rookie
I'm having a baby shower in two weeks and I can't decide if I want to have it catered or make the food myself. How hard would it be to cook for 15-20 people and what types of things would I cook? I have a double oven and a crock pot but that's about it. Any suggestions?

Amy

I entertain a ton--always gluten free--including special occasions. Ladies luncheons are easy. I vote for a salad bar...lots of veggies and lots of toppings and folks make their own. Ive done this a few times for ladies gatheriengs and it works perfectly!! If you dont want to do a cake --do ice cream sundaes ..decadent and lots of fun ...easy to choose lots of gluten-free toppings. I did a bridal shower with this menu a few weeks ago and it was a huge success. I served Chebe bread sticks with the salad and at least 3 guests asked me for the recipe ;)

alamaz Collaborator

Okay here is what is on the menu! Thank you for all the inspiration, I'll update after next weekend to let you know how it goes.

Cake: ordered it from www.glutenfreesweets.com - I'm in the area so I ordered the baby shower cake and can pick it up. I've never tried their stuff but my fingers are crossed :-) Even though I can't eat it, I should probably get some ice cream.....

Apps:

Fruit, Veggie & Cheese trays

Crackers

Salsa, Guac & Chips

Pesto Pizza squares (namaste pizza crust)

Meal:

Tossed Salad

Fruited rice and chicken casserole (Bette Hagemans cookbook)

Rolls of some kind - probably GFP Country French Bread Mix because I have those in bulk

Mom is coming in a few days early and can help with some of the stuff but I figured the rolls I can make this weekend and freeze them same with the pesto pizza. Crossing my fingers. This is my first major party since being gluten-free. It could be a nightmare ;)

kbabe1968 Enthusiast

Sounds yummy! :D

sarad1 Apprentice
Okay here is what is on the menu! Thank you for all the inspiration, I'll update after next weekend to let you know how it goes.

Cake: ordered it from www.glutenfreesweets.com - I'm in the area so I ordered the baby shower cake and can pick it up. I've never tried their stuff but my fingers are crossed :-) Even though I can't eat it, I should probably get some ice cream.....

Apps:

Fruit, Veggie & Cheese trays

Crackers

Salsa, Guac & Chips

Pesto Pizza squares (namaste pizza crust)

Meal:

Tossed Salad

Fruited rice and chicken casserole (Bette Hagemans cookbook)

Rolls of some kind - probably GFP Country French Bread Mix because I have those in bulk

Mom is coming in a few days early and can help with some of the stuff but I figured the rolls I can make this weekend and freeze them same with the pesto pizza. Crossing my fingers. This is my first major party since being gluten-free. It could be a nightmare ;)

I'm confused, do you mean that you ordered a gluten-free cake, and also ordered a regular cake as well? No biggie, just not sure what you meant, because you said you rodered a cake from glutenfreesweets.com but then mentioned that you can't eat it.

Normally what I do is order a regular cake and then make a gluten-free cake or cupcakes for my step son. Just curious! Let us know how it turns out!

imsohungry Collaborator
I'm confused, do you mean that you ordered a gluten-free cake, and also ordered a regular cake as well? No biggie, just not sure what you meant, because you said you rodered a cake from glutenfreesweets.com but then mentioned that you can't eat it.

Normally what I do is order a regular cake and then make a gluten-free cake or cupcakes for my step son. Just curious! Let us know how it turns out!

Hi Sara,

I think she means that she couldn't eat the icecream...lots of us are intolerant to dairy products. It was worded kind of funny though (of course, I could be totally wrong) :)

Amy,

Your food choices sound great! Let us know how it goes!

Happy hosting to you,

Julie

sarad1 Apprentice
Hi Sara,

I think she means that she couldn't eat the icecream...lots of us are intolerant to dairy products. It was worded kind of funny though (of course, I could be totally wrong) :)

Amy,

Your food choices sound great! Let us know how it goes!

Happy hosting to you,

Julie

Oh my gosh, duh. No, that was my fault I must have had a brain spasm when I was reading that.

Archived