7 replies to this topic

#1 wowzer

wowzer

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 17 February 2008 - 09:09 PM

I've been gluten free since January 1, 2007. I'm sure the night sweats I had for years were probably from gluten. I do take synthroid for thyroid. I quit taking estrogen about a year ago. I ended up stopping cold turkey and didn't notice any difference at the time. I really wonder if I was even absorbing the stuff. I am 53 and I have notice more hot flashes lately, so it could be menopause. I sure hope that I'm not getting glutend this often. Can you tell the difference between the two?
Wendy

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 blueeyedmanda

blueeyedmanda

York Fair 2009

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,569 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 05:05 AM

I am only 25, and I used to be cold all the time, I sweat more now gluten free than I ever did. I used to wear sweaters but not I have dwindled my collection and everything. I even get very toasty at night sometimes, they aren't night sweats nor do I get soaking wet, but sometimes I put shorts on or take all the covers off which is unusual to me.
~~~~Gluten Free since 9/2004~~~~~~

Friends may come and go but Sillies are Forever!!!!!!!

Posted Image

#3 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,767 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 03:45 AM

If you go to your OB-GYN they have a blood test that will tell you where your hormone levels are. That will tell you if you are experiencing hormone related hot flashes. Celiac took away my periods at around 40 before I went gluten-free, I was having almost constant hot flashes then. They continued for a long time but after I went gluten-free they decreased to once a night at about 2 am. Why always the same time I have no idea. I do know that when glutened they do seem to occur during the day also but that only lasts a day or two.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#4 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 07:42 AM

Raven had the answer to knowing if you are in menopause, get your hormone levels checked. And perimenopause can last up to ten years before the full onset of the big "M". I started at 35 and not sure it was related to Celiac or not.

Oh, forgot to add, that after I was diagnosed I would often break out into a sweat during a meal or snack. I finally figured out that I was reacting to dairy in any form. It stopped after about two years gluten free. I did not eliminate dairy, just dairy light for a short period of time.
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#5 Gemini

Gemini

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,153 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 11:11 AM

I've been gluten free since January 1, 2007. I'm sure the night sweats I had for years were probably from gluten. I do take synthroid for thyroid. I quit taking estrogen about a year ago. I ended up stopping cold turkey and didn't notice any difference at the time. I really wonder if I was even absorbing the stuff. I am 53 and I have notice more hot flashes lately, so it could be menopause. I sure hope that I'm not getting glutend this often. Can you tell the difference between the two?
Wendy

If you are in your 50's and having hot flashes, then it's menopause. Hot flashes can start years before you actually go into full blown menopause and last for a long, long time. They can also start and stop without warning. That is very common.

As for testing, forget blood draws for hormone levels....very unreliable. Saliva testing is the way to go but you may need to see a less mainstream physician for that. Blood levels tend to be what's stored in your cells and may not be what's floating around for use by your body. That's why many women go and have their blood tested and are told their hormone levels are fine...when they have flaming symptoms of menopause.

I never had any gluten related hot flashes and am not convinced they are from gluten anyway.
It may be that before diagnosis of celiac disease, a person is very run down, adrenally, and this could cause temperature shifting. Hot flashes are generally a hormone mediated response and can occur for years around menopause. If your hormone levels are in flux, for whatever reason, you'll have a hot flash.

It may be a better idea to use bio-identical hormones, in cream form, for any hormone replacement. They are prescribed by a physician and obtained through a compounding pharmacy. As they absorb through the skin, there is no worry of mal-absorption problems. They are safer to use than mainstream pill hormones too.

Look on the bright side.....your heating bills should go down once the hot flashes gear up! :P

#6 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 11:17 AM

As for testing, forget blood draws for hormone levels....very unreliable.

I agree with this--during perimenopause, especially, hormone levels can change daily.
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#7 wowzer

wowzer

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 08:08 PM

I do know that I need to get my hormone levels checked. It is a little harder for me to figure out, since I was born without a uterus, I've never had periods. My one lonely ovary does still ovulate, but I think that is happening less now.

#8 nmw

nmw

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 08:56 PM

It does sound like meno. I get hot flashes when glutened as well as with hormonal shifts. To answer your question, for me the hormonal ones pass quickly with little, if any residual effects, and the glutened ones are more like a toxin reaction and are accompanied by all my other gluten symptoms.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: