This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Traveling On The Candida Diet . . . Advice?

psipsina

psipsina Rookie

OK so I've traveled gluten-free before but never while on the Candida diet. I'll need to bring enough food with me onto the plane to make it thru my travel day (6am-1pm so not too bad). What can you guys think of thats portable without a cooler? Also is it possible to eat out like this and not eat at a steakhouse?? Any good ideas how to transport all my supplements with me without having a pharmacy in my luggage?? I'm probably overthinking this but would love advice or even reassurances that I'm not crazy for undertaking this.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tom Contributor

On the plane I usually bring raw cashews. Used to roast/bake them, or almonds, first but haven't bothered the last few times.

Also for the plane I've brought brown rice tortillas rolled up w/ almond butter.

Once, after switching which bag would be carry-on, I got pulled to the side after they saw my potentially explosive (& over 3 oz) jar of almond butter.

But it's no problem thru security when it's already prepared as food.

I don't even try to eat out much. To reach the level of confidence I need, I'd have to go to somewhat expensive restaurants.

If you're traveling to CA, I've been fine lately w/ El Pollo Loco chicken & just the pintos for a side.

(I say 'lately' because I'm not sure whether it would've been fine when my candida was worse)

moldlady Rookie

Traveling is tough!!! :(

I would bring cashew butter and granny smith apples. Snacking on nuts and seeds dry roasted is good too as mentioned above.

I make and bring my own salad dressings (no sugar) and order lots of salad and steamed veggies.

Celery sticks with cashew butter is good too.

It is a lot of work to plan ahead but it is always better to feel well than to be sick!! Ug

Moldlady :)

psipsina Rookie

Thanks y'all. I hadn't thought of cashews or cashew butter!! I figured out that I'm going to fill up some empty travel size shampoo bottles with water and freeze them to keep my probiotics cool in my purse (since I can't bring a real size freezer pack for fear of explosivity lol). I think I've got enough ideas for the plane. I'm still nervous about trying to get my family to understand precisely what I'm doing . . . my aunt is really trying. She wants to do a little pre-shopping in case we can't go to the wholefoods the day I get in and keeps e-mailing me funny food related questions about what I can and can't have. Oy vey. I still have no ideas of how to transport my bazillion supplement bottles without just putting them all in my checked in baggage. Maybe I'll buy one of those pill organizers but I'm not sure if they are big enough for all the random stuff I take in a day on this diet.

moldlady Rookie

I don't know about customs these days and supplements. Maybe someone can help out

When I travel I take those really small ziplocks that are 1/2 sandwich size. I label with marker what is inside and put my suupplements in there. You can easily stack a ton of stuff in these and they do not take up much room at all.

have a safe trip

moldlady

aprilh Apprentice

I think you could probably eat out okay as long as you ask for your meats to be prepared with olive oil and salt. And veggies steamed - no seasoning.

A lot of times the seasoning they put on the food is questionable. I usuallly order stuff grilled and broiled and plain.

Just tell them you have allergies and they should abide.

The plane is a whole different story! Take lots of snacks. Last time I went on the plane I took a little cooler bag filled with lots of snacks.

Green12 Enthusiast

I think the consensus is nuts and seeds :lol:

If you can take a little lunch bag size cooler you can also take baby carrots and celery sticks with almond butter.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived