This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Whole Foods Baking Mix 365 Great Product!

zachsmom

zachsmom Enthusiast

HEY I WANTED TO rave about a product. I wanted to make choclate chip cookies for my baby for valentines day)

I tried 365 whole foods baking mix... and it says to use as you would "REGULAR FLOUR"...... I was scared due to knowing you have to use guar gum or xanthum gum ... USUALLY YOU Have to add this your self.

They allready had the guar gum inside the flour mix.... ( after reading the box 100 times.. I have spent so much money on products like pamelas that do not work.. Bobs red mill tastes gross to me so this was an endevor.. I am tired of being burned lol by products that dont turn out.. and the stuff we have to buy isnt cheap...

So it can be used like regular flour. The choclate chip cookies I MADE looked like NORMAL FLUFFY cookies. No spreading like pamelas . And I used the regular recipie like I was making normal cookies .. baking soda, brown sugar , white sugar.. eggs butter.. vanillia .. and the 365 flour mix... so everyone try this, instead of the pamelas ... I think that you will be happy with the outcome... You treat it like normal flour. ( of course your ingredients are gluten-free) but its like normal I am so happy ... Now if I can get the baby to eat the chocolate chips .. and not spit them out.... lol But this is a great find for everyone... I literally did what the box said and got great results..... COOKIE MAKERS THIS WORKS. thanks chris

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

CDFAMILY Rookie

Zachsmom,

How many pounds of flour and how much did it cost? I use something called Mr. Ritt's flour that must be similar. It is made in PA. It is fantastic, but the price just went up I noticed and I believe it was $9.99 for 3 pounds. It was $6.99. I will not do much baking at that price but it is very convenient and tastes almost normal and sometimes better.

lizard00 Enthusiast

Thanks, that is so great to know. I don't bake a lot, but it's good to know. That makes a lot of sense though. The gluten-free baker for Whole Foods is Celiac... small bit of info...

He found out he had Celiac and once or twice a week, he would sanitize everything and bake gluten-free goods. His baked goods became so popular that they eventually dedicated a separate bakery to their gluten-free baked goods and started shipping them out to the rest of the country. Their gluten-free bakery is about 25 min down the road from me. It's very impressing that they did something like that. So, there's one celiac who made a big difference!

VioletBlue Contributor

If it's the same stuff that someone gave me as a Christmas present, it has potato in it. So I have an unopened box of it sitting in the kitchen staring at me. I can't eat potato. Be happy to send it to you. I'm trying to figure out a delicate way to tell people to stop trying to send me gluten free stuff. I've got too many other food issues for that to work.

HEY I WANTED TO rave about a product. I wanted to make choclate chip cookies for my baby for valentines day)

I tried 365 whole foods baking mix... and it says to use as you would "REGULAR FLOUR"...... I was scared due to knowing you have to use guar gum or xanthum gum ... USUALLY YOU Have to add this your self.

They allready had the guar gum inside the flour mix.... ( after reading the box 100 times.. I have spent so much money on products like pamelas that do not work.. Bobs red mill tastes gross to me so this was an endevor.. I am tired of being burned lol by products that dont turn out.. and the stuff we have to buy isnt cheap...

So it can be used like regular flour. The choclate chip cookies I MADE looked like NORMAL FLUFFY cookies. No spreading like pamelas . And I used the regular recipie like I was making normal cookies .. baking soda, brown sugar , white sugar.. eggs butter.. vanillia .. and the 365 flour mix... so everyone try this, instead of the pamelas ... I think that you will be happy with the outcome... You treat it like normal flour. ( of course your ingredients are gluten-free) but its like normal I am so happy ... Now if I can get the baby to eat the chocolate chips .. and not spit them out.... lol But this is a great find for everyone... I literally did what the box said and got great results..... COOKIE MAKERS THIS WORKS. thanks chris

WendyG Explorer

Whoo Hoo I am going to go and buy some and give it a try. any other suggestions?????

thanks,w

zachsmom Enthusiast
Whoo Hoo I am going to go and buy some and give it a try. any other suggestions?????

thanks,w

The stuff is the 365 whole foods brand.. ALL PURPOSE baking mix.... and for chocolate chip cookies you may need to add a tad bit more vanillia I made a recipie with 1 teaspoon of vanillia. .. the cookies were good the first day but my non gluten kids told me that they could use some more taste. BUt for look and feel you cannot beat them ... The box says its a pound..... I do not know who makes this product for whole foods..as I called 2 times to double check ( I have horror storys from Pamelas cookies running down the sheet you would have thought I was making pancakes , not cookies... and they told me that the company that makes this product for whole foods , somehow cant be contacted... becasue they want to stay unidentified? ( sounds like BS but I would like to know who makes this product) BUt it works and non gluten humans cant tell the difference. LOL Its worth the try... But its in the asile that has all the bagged cake mixes cookie mixes and stuff. But they can be sweeter... so I do not know how to adjust the sugars to come out looking good . maybe we can all work on this and come up with some thing but its great .

CDFAMILY Rookie

Hi,

Does anyone know the cost and pounds of the 365 whole foods baking flour?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

HAK1031 Enthusiast

Just a little aside...with many baking mixes, like pamela's, you have to add a but more mix than flour if you are substituting on a non gluten-free recipe to stop the running. I learned this the hard way too! But if this whole foods one works, I want some!! I've heard great things about that brand! I've had their prepared cookies and they tasted normal!! like, completely! and they stayed together beautifully too :P

Dandelion Contributor

The Whole Foods 365 Gluten Free line is made by Gluten Free Pantry.

WendyG Explorer
The stuff is the 365 whole foods brand.. ALL PURPOSE baking mix.... and for chocolate chip cookies you may need to add a tad bit more vanillia I made a recipie with 1 teaspoon of vanillia. .. the cookies were good the first day but my non gluten kids told me that they could use some more taste. BUt for look and feel you cannot beat them ... The box says its a pound..... I do not know who makes this product for whole foods..as I called 2 times to double check ( I have horror storys from Pamelas cookies running down the sheet you would have thought I was making pancakes , not cookies... and they told me that the company that makes this product for whole foods , somehow cant be contacted... becasue they want to stay unidentified? ( sounds like BS but I would like to know who makes this product) BUt it works and non gluten humans cant tell the difference. LOL Its worth the try... But its in the asile that has all the bagged cake mixes cookie mixes and stuff. But they can be sweeter... so I do not know how to adjust the sugars to come out looking good . maybe we can all work on this and come up with some thing but its great .

Thanks for the tips. My sweet mother went to whole foods for me but couldn't find it. I will look on the baking isle tomorrow. I have been gluten-free for about a month and haven't really started trying any baking. I have been converting all my family favorite meals to be gluten free... now on to the baked goods. I love to cook but am very intimated by the baking flours. That is why I am so excited to find a flour that I can just sub in my regular recipes. this form is such a blessing to have.

zachsmom Enthusiast

The baking mix was like $4.00 for a pound. I called whole foods twice to double check if I had to add anything to the baking mix.... I had to call whole foods because THERE WAS NO NUMBER TO CALL ON THE BOX> I asked whole foods about this weird weird senerio.... ( every product I have bought has had some sort of number to call for product satisfaction.... this product had a web site. ) SO Whole foods personell do the service calls... but whole foods said this." Whole foods has an agreement not to tell the consumer who makes their generic brand product. Because some companies take turns making a certian product . I told the guy ,I didnt care if Mickey Mouse was in the kitchen as long as the food was safe... I NEVER ASKED WHO MADE THE PRODUCT ......ALL I WANTED TO KNOW WAS HOW MUCH BAKING POWDER OR GUAR GUM OR ZANTHUM GUM TO ADD. He laughed. But It irritated me that companies do this... SO if Gluten free pantry makes this .. Do they themselves make this too. I have seen alot of pancake mixes cakes oh and muffins but not a baking mix that worked liked the 365 one. BUT You do need to add something to the cookies .. they tasted good but the recipie ( the one off of GOOD VALUE chocolate chips ) they needed more vanillia and more sugar. My recipie is like 1 teaspoon for vanillia salt, baking soda , 3/4 sugars / 1 cup of butter, 2 eggs. and 2 1/4 flour . When fresh they taste good but the next day they start to taste differnt.. If that makes any sense. But god why cant the company just put a number on the box.

celiac-mommy Collaborator
Just a little aside...with many baking mixes, like pamela's, you have to add a but more mix than flour if you are substituting on a non gluten-free recipe to stop the running. I learned this the hard way too! But if this whole foods one works, I want some!! I've heard great things about that brand! I've had their prepared cookies and they tasted normal!! like, completely! and they stayed together beautifully too :P

Another little side--I use the Pamelas for everything but pie crust. I use it straight across for flour (and omit ANY baking powder, soda and salt from the recipe) and to keep it from running, cut the butter by 1/2 to 2/3(my preference). You're saving LOTS of calories this way too!! I think they actually turn out better than the gluten cookies I used to make! I will try that Whole foods mix next time I get there though.

larry mac Enthusiast

Congratulations on making good gluten-free cookies. It's definately more challenging than gluten cookies IMHO. I've got to get a look at that product to check out the ingredients. I just make my own mixes, I think it's a lot less expensive (and I'm pretty cheap). B)

.... I called whole foods twice to double check if I had to add anything to the baking mix.... I had to call whole foods because THERE WAS NO NUMBER TO CALL ON THE BOX> I asked whole foods about this weird weird senerio.... ( every product I have bought has had some sort of number to call for product satisfaction.... this product had a web site. ) SO Whole foods personell do the service calls...... I NEVER ASKED WHO MADE THE PRODUCT ......ALL I WANTED TO KNOW WAS HOW MUCH BAKING POWDER OR GUAR GUM OR ZANTHUM GUM TO ADD. He laughed. But It irritated me that companies do this.... But god why cant the company just put a number on the box.

I looked in my pantry and was surprised how many items did not have a number. If I had to guess why, I would say they don't want to employ a bunch of people (who probably won't know the answer anyway since the product is made by a third party that may or may not change from time to time) to answer all kinds of calls from people who don't know how to bake/cook, want to complain about something, sell them something, are simply nuts, etc. (not you personally, :o everyone else).

....the recipie ( the one off of GOOD VALUE chocolate chips ).....

I can't find a phone number on any Walmart brand products. The largest employer in the US and they won't even do it. Every company now has a website they would probably prefer you use. In fact, you said the product had a website. Was it the Whole Foods website or another one? Sometimes (not always), there is a phone number on the website. Also, I've usually received a reply to online queries within a day, but haven't made that many.

best regards, lm

pixiegirl Enthusiast

Does anyone know if the Whole foods 365 stuff has a peanut or tree nut warning on it?? The closest Whole Foods is 45 minutes away and I hate to drive that far for something we can't eat.

If anyone has a box of it could they check?

Thanks, Susan

zachsmom Enthusiast

ALLERGIN INFO... I took the box outta the fridge. and it says "MAY CONTAIN TRACES OF SOY.. ALSO GOOD MANUFACTURING PRACTICES USED TO SEGREGATE INGREDIENTS IN A FACILITY ... THAT ALSO PROCESSES MILK AND EGGS. HOPE THIS HELPS. CHRIS

zachsmom Enthusiast

i LOOKED AT THE BOX AGAIN AND IT ONLY HAS WWW.WHOLEFOODSMARKET.COM .....chris

lishakelly Newbie

Hi everybody. This is my first post and had to comment on this stuff. I used it in banana bread and it came out perfect. I subbed it into my mom's recipe she has used for years. I tried a white cake mix by the same brand and it wasn't as good - too crumbly.

cyberprof Enthusiast

On a whim, I bought the Whole Foods 365 White Bread mix because it was $1.50 cheaper than Pamela's.

I've never had success with Pamela's -- or ANY bread recipe or mix yet. I've tried Lorka's and others and the bread still falls and is yukky ( no offense to Lorka).

So I bought a new pan- somewhat smaller (about 7x4) and it is a metal pan SPECIFICALLY for bread. I also bought a muffin-top pan to make hamburger buns.

I used the Whole Foods mix and put some (not all) of it in the bread pan and make hamburger buns with the rest. WOW, the bread didn't sink or crumble and the hamburger buns were great! I was so excited. My son tried the bread and liked it too and he is still on gluten.

I had my first grilled cheese sandwich today- first in over a year.

Maybe it was the pan, maybe the mix. I'm going to use the 365 mix though as long as it's cheaper. I made it exactly as it says on the box except that I added 2 tablespoons of ground flax for fiber.

larry mac Enthusiast

Finally got a chance to go to Whole Foods and look at the product. It only has five ingredients:

White rice flour

Potato starch flour

Tapioka starch flour

Guar gum

Salt

In the United States, ingredients are required to be listed by weight. So, there is more white rice flour than potato starch and so on. This can be tricky however, as there could be more potato starch and tapioka starch combined than rice flour. That's why most sugary cereals have four or five different kinds of sugars in the same product. Otherwise, the first ingredient would have to be sugar.

I still think this could be very easily duplicated with a little experimentation. I'm paying less than one dollar a pound for my flour and starches, vs. four for this stuff.

best regards, lm

• 1 month later...
ratgirl Newbie

So do you have to add any xanthan gum to it or no?

I got Pamela's stuff the other day after that nasty Bob's Red Mill stuff, and while it tasted good, I can't get anything to cook all the way! My cookies spread out into paperthin yummies, but my muffins and cornbread ended up burning on the edges, but still weren't cooked in the middle. Stupid stuff!

• 1 year later...
foodiegurl Collaborator

I just tried this tonight, and baked the buttermilk biscuit recipe on the box to go with my carrot and coriander soup that I made for dinner, and it turned out perfectly! They were super fluffy and didn't fall one bit.

It makes sense if they are made by Gluten Free Pantry, as I have liked everything of theirs I have tried so far..especially the cornbread mix to use for pancakes.

Being that is already has guar gum in it, I don't think you would have to add xanthum gum. I am excited to try cookies with it....like snickerdoodles. Those were some of my favorite cookies that I baked pre-diagnosis, so I am going to test it out next.

By the way...I also tried the biscuit mix with Bob's Red Mill, and I admit, it tastes very beany....I may be weird, but I kind of liked that :P

Jamie Contributor

The whole foods brand was the first brand of cookies I ever baked gluten-free... They taste like regular cookies... my family didn't know the difference... they were gone the next day... mostly because of me. I have not found any other mixes that compare to the whole foods brand.

gfpagan Apprentice

I think I will be going to Whole Foods tomorrow! I could use some chocolate chip cookies.

iceberg-ssj Newbie

Getting pamelas cookies to spread out thin can be accomplished by adding an extra egg. I discovered this after I eliminated sugar from her cookie recipe and discovered my cookies no longer spread. I then added an extra egg and voila perfect gluten free, sugar free cookies. If any one else is interested Trimedica Slim Sweet tastes just like sugar with no after taste and I find it substitutes and behaves just like sugar in just about all things including sushi and mysore pak.

I have had many successes with pamela's but I'm having trouble with the whole foods version. I want to learn the whole foods version because pamla's is not lactose free. How much baking soda/baking powder do you add to it for cookies?

Archived