Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Celiac.com Store.

Greasy Foods = Upset Stomach?

14 posts in this topic

I searched to see if the topic was already discussed, but I found nothing.

I am wondering if anyone else gets an upset stomach (like the kind before you went gluten-free) after eating greasy foods. Usually after I eat the pizzas I so enjoy (Kinnikinnick crusts with mozzarella cheese on top), my stomach gets upset, with the usual cramping and uneventful bathroom visits.

Ads by Google:

My thoughts are, maybe you cannot tolerate dairy at this time or if you are newly diagnosed, sometimes it will take a few weeks/months before we can eat the greasier foods. It does not happen to everyone but it does to some. Hope this helps a little.

I agree that it might be dairy, but also I know many kinnikinnick products tend to have Free Glutamic Acid (MSG). I suppose you could try having some cheese by itself to see if that's what you're reacting to. Also maybe try some of the pizza crust alone and see what happens.

Besides tomatoes, what else is in the sauce? Do you have the same reaction to other high fat foods?

My thoughts are, maybe you cannot tolerate dairy at this time or if you are newly diagnosed, sometimes it will take a few weeks/months before we can eat the greasier foods. It does not happen to everyone but it does to some. Hope this helps a little.

I'm used to having a glass of milk every morning and I was diagnosed 7 years ago. It's that that bothers me.

I agree that it might be dairy, but also I know many kinnikinnick products tend to have Free Glutamic Acid (MSG). I suppose you could try having some cheese by itself to see if that's what you're reacting to. Also maybe try some of the pizza crust alone and see what happens.

Besides tomatoes, what else is in the sauce? Do you have the same reaction to other high fat foods?

I'll try that. I'm pretty sure it's the cheese and the grease that forms when it melts. I don't like sauce on my pizza so there never any sauce on it.

Have you been eating a relatively healthy gluten-free diet? Because my boyfriend (who is gluten-free but doesn't have celiac) and I eat relatively healthy meals of meat, veggies, fruit and diary. We both still feel disgusting when we eat greasy food and we're fairly certain it's because our bodies just aren't used to all the grease anymore.

Of course you could easily have an intolerance, too. Does it happen when you eat other foods or just the pizza?

One of the things the small intestine processes is fats. Greasy food is fatty food. If you're recently diagnosed fat absorption may be a problem for you for awhile as your ability to handle it has been compromised by Celiacs. I had similar issues when I was first diagnosed. I was also reliant on over the counter anti acids to sleep at night after a meal with any level of fat in it, however small. Within a couple months of going gluten-free I was off the anti acids and handling fatty foods better. I no longer have the digestion of a 20 year old, and never will again, but things have improved for me dramatically in the last fourteen or fifteen months to the point where I can enjoy spare ribs again :lol:

I searched to see if the topic was already discussed, but I found nothing.

I am wondering if anyone else gets an upset stomach (like the kind before you went gluten-free) after eating greasy foods. Usually after I eat the pizzas I so enjoy (Kinnikinnick crusts with mozzarella cheese on top), my stomach gets upset, with the usual cramping and uneventful bathroom visits.

Have you been eating a relatively healthy gluten-free diet? Because my boyfriend (who is gluten-free but doesn't have celiac) and I eat relatively healthy meals of meat, veggies, fruit and diary. We both still feel disgusting when we eat greasy food and we're fairly certain it's because our bodies just aren't used to all the grease anymore.

Of course you could easily have an intolerance, too. Does it happen when you eat other foods or just the pizza?

I've been on a relatively good diet. Not the best, but not the worst either. I'm big on meat, and usually supplement that with either green beans, potatoes, or applesauce. I'm quite the picky eater.

As far as I know, my stomach gets upset only after eating my pizzas. I'm pretty sure the cheese I use is gluten-free (Sargento Mozzarella).

Fat and protein are hard to digest. I get stomach aches and acid reflux when I eat high fat meals. I've found that digestive enzymes help a lot.

Could it possibly be something in the crust? Tapioca is in a lot of gluten-free baked things and can be a problem for some people. Just a thought....It's the reason I can't eat K foods.

I dont know if this has anything to do with it, but before I had my gallbladder out I always felt sick after eating fatty foods. I was still eating gluten then however.

You said you eat meats, do you ever eat fatty meats like brisket or ribs or ribeyes? Do they affect you? (Yes I live in texas...) I dont eat a lot a fat, and those bother me, I can eat only 1/2 of the Kinnikinnick pizza and cheese without feeling a little uncomfortable.

Could it possibly be something in the crust? Tapioca is in a lot of gluten-free baked things and can be a problem for some people. Just a thought....It's the reason I can't eat K foods.

As far as I know, I don't have an allergy to tapioca. A lot of the other gluten-free "bread" foods I eat usually contain tapioca.

I dont know if this has anything to do with it, but before I had my gallbladder out I always felt sick after eating fatty foods. I was still eating gluten then however.

You said you eat meats, do you ever eat fatty meats like brisket or ribs or ribeyes? Do they affect you? (Yes I live in texas...) I dont eat a lot a fat, and those bother me, I can eat only 1/2 of the Kinnikinnick pizza and cheese without feeling a little uncomfortable.

I try not to eat the fat from the porkchops and chicken I eat. All other meats I eat all; I'm not sure what sort of fat content the ground chuck has that my step-dad buys to make hamburgers.

I guess I could try to blot the pizza and soak up as much grease as possible to see if that makes a difference, or eat some other greasy food and see if it affects me the same way.

I guess I could try to blot the pizza and soak up as much grease as possible to see if that makes a difference, or eat some other greasy food and see if it affects me the same way.

Nice... an excuse to eat other fatty foods! Sounds like an excellent experiment. Haha. I'd live it up and eat something else that you haven't had a long time.

Nice... an excuse to eat other fatty foods! Sounds like an excellent experiment. Haha. I'd live it up and eat something else that you haven't had a long time.

Naw, I could just get my girlfriend to make me something. Like more pizza! :-P The "Gluten Free Cookbook" (can't remember the author) is the best thing I have, and thankfully she likes to cook, so it all works out pretty well for the both of us. I get no adverse effects from funnel cake and fried chicken, I know that much. :-D It's so good.

Suppose you just swallow a tablespoon of vegetable oil and see what happens? If that goes well, then try a tablespoon of mozzarella.