This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gliadin Ab, Siga

trcn

trcn Apprentice

Hello everyone. Would someone offer an experienced opinion to my situation?

I completed a saliva cortisol panel for my ND which contained a screening test called Gliadin Ab, SIgA. The results were 27 with normal range < 13. The description states "mild intolerance or reactivity to Gliadin and may be clinically asymptomatic, howere an ongoing low-grade intestinal inflammation following Gliadin intake has been demonstrated".

I was intrigued by this result and began gathering info via, what else?, the internet. This is how I found this site. I have no GI symptoms whatsoever...

My history in short is: Graves Dz and Hashimotos Dz with radioactive iodine ablation of thyroid. Since the ablation I have had persistent and drastic hair loss (for 3 yrs, I am 38 now). I have been on a quest for the cause of this as it hasn't resolved since the radiation, even tho my thyroid levels have been stabilized and I feel great. One important factor is that I was severely malnourished by the time I was dx'd with Graves Dz and had lost 13 lbs and was breast feeding. I gained the weight back easily once the thyroid was dealt with.

My only remaining symptoms were severe scalp itching and hair loss (no sores, scabs, blisters) and itchy skin, mostly on my arms (again, no sores, scabs, rash, blisters) and unrelenting acne as if I were 15 (which I didn't have when I WAS 15).

I thought I'd try Gluten Free for a few days to see what happened. My skin cleared and became wonderfully smooth and soft (4 weeks in and NO pimples at all!) and within 4 days my head and body stopped itching. Now, I believe, I can tell when I have been exposed to gluten as my scalp itches terribly and my arms too. This happened when, stupidly, I ate Dorito's (saw it on a gluten-free list somewhere). I didn't figure it out until I went back to the bag, searching everything I had eaten in the past 2 days to find gluten... there it was! Otherwise, my hair has gained it's texture, scalp not itchy, and I have new hair popping out everywhere.

My Endo was interested in this finding so ran a panel of Celiac tests (anti gliadin TTG, IGG, TTG-IGA, Immuglobulin, endomysial antibodies) and All were negative. I had been Gluten free for 2 full weeks at that point but he thought it wouldn't matter. I have no intention of going back on gluten for re-testing. He feels, definitively, I don't have Celiac. I know for a fact I am sensitive to gluten.

Do my symptoms make sense to anybody? Is it possible not to have GI symptoms? Can I just be "sensitive" to gluten without having Celiac sprue? Can my hair loss be related?

Thank you so much and sorry for the long post!

Tracy

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

greendog Apprentice

Your symptoms are very much like mine. I am not celiac but have a low tolerance for gluten. Some forms give me the GIs and zap my energy. I call that one the ladder, because first I get euphoria as I move up the ladder but when I get to the top, I start to feel really wiped out and as I move down the ladder I feel worse and worse. When I get to the bottom I feel like my head is in a vice, and I would have to feel better to die. Some forms mess with my head, sinus and throat. Some forms make me itch and give me scalp symptoms like you describe. One in particular causes me to have incontinence, and I don't mean it in a mild way. I'm talking like every 30 minutes you have to wiz, and it is one of those you better stop the car right now or else. I also have a low tolerance for yeast, broccili, olives, pecans and various forms of mold. Lately it has been taking about 20 hours for the symptoms to hit me and they can stay with me 3-5 days. However when I am off the gluten I can work out for 2 hours on the treadmill, home gym and free weights without getting really tired. I try to exercise 3 times a week and take a protein, banana, peanut butter, pure yogurt, low fat milk as a supplement.

• 1 year later...
Angela S Newbie

I took the same test with a score of 18. My description stated the same thing. My doctor and by doctor I mean Chiropractor and Clinical Nutritionist said I should consider it a gluten intolerance, although my blood tests were negative to gluten sensitivity. I have frequent sensitive stomach issues, chronic indoor and outdoor allergies and also randomly share your intense scalp itch (with no hair loss) also accompanied by intense itching on my neck and other more "private areas." I have been gluten free for several months now and have noticed no change. I'm also trying an elimination diet in which you take out and then add other potential allergenic foods. Did you have positive blood tests?

Hello everyone. Would someone offer an experienced opinion to my situation?

I completed a saliva cortisol panel for my ND which contained a screening test called Gliadin Ab, SIgA. The results were 27 with normal range < 13. The description states "mild intolerance or reactivity to Gliadin and may be clinically asymptomatic, howere an ongoing low-grade intestinal inflammation following Gliadin intake has been demonstrated".

I was intrigued by this result and began gathering info via, what else?, the internet. This is how I found this site. I have no GI symptoms whatsoever...

My history in short is: Graves Dz and Hashimotos Dz with radioactive iodine ablation of thyroid. Since the ablation I have had persistent and drastic hair loss (for 3 yrs, I am 38 now). I have been on a quest for the cause of this as it hasn't resolved since the radiation, even tho my thyroid levels have been stabilized and I feel great. One important factor is that I was severely malnourished by the time I was dx'd with Graves Dz and had lost 13 lbs and was breast feeding. I gained the weight back easily once the thyroid was dealt with.

My only remaining symptoms were severe scalp itching and hair loss (no sores, scabs, blisters) and itchy skin, mostly on my arms (again, no sores, scabs, rash, blisters) and unrelenting acne as if I were 15 (which I didn't have when I WAS 15).

I thought I'd try Gluten Free for a few days to see what happened. My skin cleared and became wonderfully smooth and soft (4 weeks in and NO pimples at all!) and within 4 days my head and body stopped itching. Now, I believe, I can tell when I have been exposed to gluten as my scalp itches terribly and my arms too. This happened when, stupidly, I ate Dorito's (saw it on a gluten-free list somewhere). I didn't figure it out until I went back to the bag, searching everything I had eaten in the past 2 days to find gluten... there it was! Otherwise, my hair has gained it's texture, scalp not itchy, and I have new hair popping out everywhere.

My Endo was interested in this finding so ran a panel of Celiac tests (anti gliadin TTG, IGG, TTG-IGA, Immuglobulin, endomysial antibodies) and All were negative. I had been Gluten free for 2 full weeks at that point but he thought it wouldn't matter. I have no intention of going back on gluten for re-testing. He feels, definitively, I don't have Celiac. I know for a fact I am sensitive to gluten.

Do my symptoms make sense to anybody? Is it possible not to have GI symptoms? Can I just be "sensitive" to gluten without having Celiac sprue? Can my hair loss be related?

Thank you so much and sorry for the long post!

Tracy

• 4 years later...
simplyorganical Newbie

I don't really have anything to add to this thread, but I can't help but say how thrilled I was to stumble across this page on a google search.

I, too, have just received my test results for a saliva sIgA ab gliadin test (result = 38), and I also have some of the symptoms you all have mentioned. Acne-like outbreaks all over my face, neck, and back; having to pee ALL the time; fatigue; severe bloating; constipation; constant vague abdominal pain; itchy skin. Also eczema. Some of these problems I have had for literally my entire life (the GI stuff and fatigue). 

Not long before I did my test, for the sake of dietary variety, I started eating a lot of bread and eggs, which were not usual foods for me. That's specifically when I started having to pee constantly (I'm glad you shared that greendog, lol). I didn't make the connection between the food I was eating and the appearance of this weird symptom until after my sIgA test, when I came across this page. I am still having to pee a little more than normal, but I haven't been off gluten and eggs for more than a few days yet (I also tested positive for sIgA ab ovalbumin). I hope these food intolerances are in fact the cause my pee problems and other symptoms.

Good luck to you all!

cyclinglady Grand Master

This is a pretty old thread, so do not expect a response from the original posters.

Testing for Celiac Disease (and there is no test for gluten sensitivity), can not be done via saliva. Check out this link to the University of Chicago's celiac website:

Open Original Shared Link

Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...
erikaf75 Newbie

I took the same test with a score of 18. My description stated the same thing. My doctor and by doctor I mean Chiropractor and Clinical Nutritionist said I should consider it a gluten intolerance, although my blood tests were negative to gluten sensitivity. I have frequent sensitive stomach issues, chronic indoor and outdoor allergies and also randomly share your intense scalp itch (with no hair loss) also accompanied by intense itching on my neck and other more "private areas." I have been gluten free for several months now and have noticed no change. I'm also trying an elimination diet in which you take out and then add other potential allergenic foods. Did you have positive blood tests?

I know they say that you can't test for Celiac with saliva. But I don't know. I had the same test with the ND. My gliadin results were 32 and I also showed a greatly depressed SIgA level. This would explain the 2 "negative" blood results I hade for TTG IgA test. I have the symptoms that match with inherited IgA deficiency, prone to infection and major sinus issues. I also had a GI panel that showed I had severe inflammation in my small intestine. I also have these symptoms: 

- severe chronic constipation (since infancy and resulted when gluten free)

- bloating and bad gas

- rosacea

- hypothyroid (not autoimmune)

- two miscarriages and pregnancy complications

- unexplained hives

- cancer sores in my mouth

- keratosis pilaris

- unexplained dental problems

- asthma

- arthritis in my knees (at age 28)

- lactose and other food intolerances

- weight gain

- depression

- fatigue

- muscle pain (when ingesting wheat)

Also my mother and grandmother both had major symptoms that match celiac. My mother had thyroid cancer and grandmother died of dementia.

Now that I have been gluten free for several months, I cannot go back of get more blood work and an endoscopy. I would like to, but there is no way I am eating gluten again. I went to see an integrative physician who diagnosed me based on all this information. I am waiting to see what my family doctor says about referring me to a GE. I feel really pissed that I was not given more thorough testing when on gluten. My ND said I had a mild gluten intolerance and to cut it for a month and reintroduce it. After this advice I had 2 miscarriages. I had to research this and go back to the test to figure it out. I am very sure I have celiac disease, but now I feel I have no way to get tested...

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks, Erika

erikaf75 Newbie

Your symptoms are very much like mine. I am not celiac but have a low tolerance for gluten. Some forms give me the GIs and zap my energy. I call that one the ladder, because first I get euphoria as I move up the ladder but when I get to the top, I start to feel really wiped out and as I move down the ladder I feel worse and worse. When I get to the bottom I feel like my head is in a vice, and I would have to feel better to die. Some forms mess with my head, sinus and throat. Some forms make me itch and give me scalp symptoms like you describe. One in particular causes me to have incontinence, and I don't mean it in a mild way. I'm talking like every 30 minutes you have to wiz, and it is one of those you better stop the car right now or else. I also have a low tolerance for yeast, broccili, olives, pecans and various forms of mold. Lately it has been taking about 20 hours for the symptoms to hit me and they can stay with me 3-5 days. However when I am off the gluten I can work out for 2 hours on the treadmill, home gym and free weights without getting really tired. I try to exercise 3 times a week and take a protein, banana, peanut butter, pure yogurt, low fat milk as a supplement.

Did you get tested for celiac?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GF Lover Rising Star

Hi Erika and Welcome to the Forum.

I'll repeat what CyclingLady told you.  You are responding to posts that are at least 5 years old.  You may not get responses.  If you like, you can start your own Topic to explain your situation and any questions/help you may want.

Good Luck to you.

Colleen

Archived