This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Newly Diagnosed And Confused

MBMoore

MBMoore Newbie

I have a quesiton. I was diagnosed January 28th with Celiacs. I have been gluten free since that day but am still having diarrhea every day. Is this normal??

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kbtoyssni Contributor

Maybe. It depends. There's a number of possible reasons for still having D.

1. Some people take longer than heal than others. You may be one of those.

2. You're not truly gluten-free. It's really hard to figure out all the sources of gluten in your life and eliminate them. We're talking wooden spoons, toaster, collenders, dog food, all your makeup, the lotions of everyone you live with, all the condiments you used pre-gluten-free, lipsticks used pre-gluten-free, etc.

3. You have other food intolerances that are noticeable now that gluten is out of your diet.

lightening16 Rookie

Hi

I actually figured out that I had become lactose intolerant before I figured out that I was celiac. Try cutting dairy out of your diet. Apparently the our bodies produce the enzymes to digest milk at the very tips of the villi so that is one of the first symptoms of celiac. I actually seemed to be getting better a couple years ago by just cutting out milk but then things gradually started getting worse and I knew that it was more than just milk. The bonus is that over time the villi heal and you should be able to have milk again... like in 6 months. I really can't wait so that I can re-open up to more foods. No wheat and no dairy is pretty restrictive.

Good luck.

MELINE Enthusiast
Hi

I actually figured out that I had become lactose intolerant before I figured out that I was celiac. Try cutting dairy out of your diet. Apparently the our bodies produce the enzymes to digest milk at the very tips of the villi so that is one of the first symptoms of celiac. I actually seemed to be getting better a couple years ago by just cutting out milk but then things gradually started getting worse and I knew that it was more than just milk. The bonus is that over time the villi heal and you should be able to have milk again... like in 6 months. I really can't wait so that I can re-open up to more foods. No wheat and no dairy is pretty restrictive.

Good luck.

Why not test many foods??? Here in Greece I have had a test for food intolerance. They checked 250 foods and I finally found out which of them were causing me problems. Lactose, sugar, gluten and some others. Once I excluded them it took me one month to feel almost perfect. Want to try that maybe??

Crystalkd Contributor
Why not test many foods??? Here in Greece I have had a test for food intolerance. They checked 250 foods and I finally found out which of them were causing me problems. Lactose, sugar, gluten and some others. Once I excluded them it took me one month to feel almost perfect. Want to try that maybe??

I can't speak for everyone here but I know I got two diffrent kinds of tests with 2 totally diffrent results. My internist did a blood test that came up with many things both food and other wise. An allergist told me I wasn't allergic to any foods what so ever. I'm confused about which to follow so I'm completely gluten free and try to keep alot of the ther stuff to a minimum.

My internist did bloo tests and my allergist did skin pricks.

ksymonds84 Enthusiast
I can't speak for everyone here but I know I got two diffrent kinds of tests with 2 totally diffrent results. My internist did a blood test that came up with many things both food and other wise. An allergist told me I wasn't allergic to any foods what so ever. I'm confused about which to follow so I'm completely gluten free and try to keep alot of the ther stuff to a minimum.

My internist did bloo tests and my allergist did skin pricks.

The skin prick test can only pick up allergies not intolerances. I also had 0 allergies from the skin test but do have intolerances to gluten, shellfish, strawberries, pineapple, and other citrus. A blood test can pick up intolerances. Stay with your diet and listen to your body it is the best indicator of what is bothering you.

superbeansprout Rookie

What I understand is that it takes quite a while for all the gluten to get out of your system. I have heard you have to be completely STRICTLY gluten free for at least 6 weeks for your body to a) expel whatever is lurking, and B) heal itself. It can take a long time for your body to heal itself, especially if you're still eating even a little something here and there that you don't know is not gluten free, and depending on how long you were being affected by the gluten intolerance. But yes, I, too became lactose intolerant when I was 15, which is when I also became diabetic, which is also when I believe I became intolerant of gluten. Not sure yet. I was just diagnosed last February, and I was 27...so potentially 12 years of feeling crappy and not knowing what was making me feel that way, I thought it was just dairy. Now I know it was much more than that!

I find it difficult dealing with family members who are not allergic to gluten, because they see your "fussiness" as annoying, and too extreme. such as, 'why can't I brush the rest of this rice flour that fell onto the wooden cutting board where I cut other non-gluten-free bread into the mix, what's wrong with that??' ugh. I get a lot of eye rolling in my house. I need to get my own place! ahhh...a completely gluten free house...sounds niiiiice!!!

On another note, has anyone else tried NAET allergy elimination treatment? I'm going through it now, we started with dairy, and it was VERY apparent I had a reaction to dairy, it's just through acupuncture and resistance testing (using your own strength to resist the acupuncturist trying to push your arm down...it's really interesting actually). My acupuncturist did an elimination of dairy intolerance, but I'm too afraid to try it. I am not home all that much, and I know how I feel when I DO eat dairy, that I'm a-scared to have that reaction NOT at home, if you know what I mean.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived