5 replies to this topic

#1 bird0705

bird0705

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 December 2004 - 11:20 AM

I am new to this board and have a question. I recently discovered that I am gluten intolerent through alot of reading and research. i try to be very carefull with what I eat and for the most part do ok, but my question is about DH. Last month I noticed a spot on my upper thigh, I thought it was a pimple but it dident go away. It ended up looking like a dime sized patch of red,scaley skin. Then I got another on my shoulder, then another 4 more on my upper thighs. Is this DH?? Does it go away? I go to the doctor next month and will ask, but in the mean time this is really bothering me. Any help would be appreciated.
Robin.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 lovegrov

lovegrov

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 29 December 2004 - 08:42 PM

The way you describe it, it doesn't sound like DH to me. My DH looked like blisters filled with clear fluid. And they itched so bad I'd scratch them til they bled.

richard

#3 darlindeb25

darlindeb25

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,324 posts

Posted 30 December 2004 - 02:49 AM

;) hi robin--i get those same kind of patches--maybe not DH, but i am willing to bet its still related to gluten intoerance in some way--i just went through a bout of this myself--i got the 1st spot on one elbow, then the other followed in a few days--finally going away after 2 weeks now--i have a dry patch like that on my leg now too--usually for me, it is just dry patches, this last time i had raised spots that itched a lot--just keep gluten free and do the best u can--watch your lotions and soaps for gluten too--deb
Deb
Long Island, NY

Double DQ1, subtype 6

We urge all doctors to take time to listen to your patients.. don't "isolate" symptoms but look at the whole spectrum. If a patient tells you s/he feels as if s/he's falling apart and "nothing seems to be working properly", chances are s/he's right!

"The calm river of your life approaches the rocky chute of the rapids - flow on through. You are the same water. The rocks cannot hurt you. Remember, now and then, that you are the water and not the boat. Flow on!

#4 cdford

cdford

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 751 posts

Posted 30 December 2004 - 05:02 PM

My daughter got some of those patches. They have a name, but I can't remember it. It is a side symptom of the celiac and can also be caused by recurrent EBV (that's how we learned about them then segued into the celiac/dh diagnosis).

Most of our "celiac bumps" are the pus pocket things that look more like chicken pox or poison ivy, but what you are describing sounds like Jenn's first outbreak.

Donna
Donna
South Georgia
9 yrs gluten-free
...also DH, fibromyalgia, neuropathy, osteopenia, hypothyroid...

After almost 10 years, I am doing soooo much better!

#5 cdford

cdford

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 751 posts

Posted 30 December 2004 - 05:09 PM

Okay, so it drove me crazy until I went and got the info...

The name was pityriasis lichenoides (PLEVA is a form of it). It it hard to find info on it because it is not a real common form of rash. I got the info from our dermatologist who got it off a sit called emedicine.com. There was another site from New Zealand that had good info.

At any rate, what I remember of it was that it comes and goes and usually clears up on its own unless it is a side symptom of another illness (guess what it was for us). Then, it only clears up completely when the trigger clears.

Don't know if it is what you are looking for, but at least it may give you a place to start researching.

Donna
Donna
South Georgia
9 yrs gluten-free
...also DH, fibromyalgia, neuropathy, osteopenia, hypothyroid...

After almost 10 years, I am doing soooo much better!

#6 bird0705

bird0705

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 December 2004 - 05:26 PM

Thank you all for the information! I go to the doctors on the 6th, but it's nice to have some information ahead of time.
Take care,
Robin.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: