5 replies to this topic

#1 pixiegirl

pixiegirl

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 04:04 PM

I read other posts about this specific Progresso Chowder and some of them said the thick and hearty is gluten-free but Traditional is not.

Others said Progresso labels what allergens are in it and on the Traditional Clam Chowder it lists only clam, milk, soy, lobster, shrimp, crab, tuna, cod, and fish ingredients.

So can I assume its gluten-free?

Others also said that Progresso is a Betty Crocker product but it says General Mills on the label (they may or may not own Betty Crocker I don't know).

Nothing sounds like wheat but there are a few chemical ingredients in it like: disodium guanylate, disodium inosinate... sounds awful but I have a huge yen for Clam Chowder and I don't have the ingredients to make t from scratch.

Thanks for any help... answer soon... I'm hungry!

Susan

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 buffettbride

buffettbride

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 04:56 PM

My daughter eats that, the Chicken/Rice/Vegetable, and the corn chowder with no problem.

I think it's ConAgra and they are good labelers.

#3 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,765 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 04:39 AM

They are a good company for labeling. Just be sure to read the label every time. The split pea used to be gluten free but they changed it and it got me cause I was so used to eating it I didn't look. The ingredients still looked safe but they had added a contains wheat warning. Although I was unhappy with the change at least they labeled it clearly.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#4 happygirl

happygirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,942 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 05:34 AM

Progresso and Betty Crocker are both GM products. http://www.glutenfre...lists/index.htm

At one point, a couple of years ago, when I was looking for a clam chowder, the thick and hearty was gluten-free and the traditional clearly had wheat listed (not hidden).

Its apparently changed and many have said that both are now gluten-free!

#5 DOCKLEARFAN

DOCKLEARFAN

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 06:43 PM

I read other posts about this specific Progresso Chowder and some of them said the thick and hearty is gluten-free but Traditional is not.

Others said Progresso labels what allergens are in it and on the Traditional Clam Chowder it lists only clam, milk, soy, lobster, shrimp, crab, tuna, cod, and fish ingredients.

So can I assume its gluten-free?

Others also said that Progresso is a Betty Crocker product but it says General Mills on the label (they may or may not own Betty Crocker I don't know).

Nothing sounds like wheat but there are a few chemical ingredients in it like: disodium guanylate, disodium inosinate... sounds awful but I have a huge yen for Clam Chowder and I don't have the ingredients to make t from scratch.

Thanks for any help... answer soon... I'm hungry!

Susan

I just bought the BEST clam chow dah ever !!!! I also live in Massachusetts so hopefully you live by or can access the store where I purchased it. IT WAS PRETTY EXPENSIVE but well worth it....it was microwavable...I will try to get the name when I return to the store...If I forget to come back here soon...you can email me at docklearfan@yahoo.com in the subject title if you write my name JAY I wont delete it...lol

#6 1965kid

1965kid

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 08:13 PM

All progresso soups clearly list Allergens. I only eat Progresso, and Healthy Choice soups. Both list Wheat clearly. The new Progresso Clam Chowder (the one that list Lobster) is killer! Best chowder I ever ate.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: