This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Please...need Help Quick!

Avarismama

Avarismama Apprentice

I need idea's fast! My husband and I and our 3 kids have to leave town tomorrow to look at houses. We are relocating in 4 weeks for his job. Problems is what and where to eat. My son and I are on a gluten-free diet (waiting for test results, with postive changes). Were traveling to Klamath Falls, Oregon for 2 days to house hunt. I know there are some gluten-free choices at fast food joints but I don't know what. Also if we go to a regular restraunt what do I order? Please help!!! Can I eat breakfast in a restraunt too?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GlutenGalAZ Enthusiast

If you are going to a restaurant try looking online to see if they have a gluten free list that way you can get some ideas on what to order. Make sure you let the waiter or manager know about your food needs. Chilis has a gluten free list.

Breakfast I am not too sure about.... I don't really care for breakfast out but I would think a fruit plate would be fine (I would be cautious though b/c if you are going out for breakfast that means that in the kitchen there is a lot of flour in the air and the chefs touching pancakes, toats etc).

White Corn Tortillas (Mission says gluten free on the back side) before I found a bread that I liked I would make sandwhiches with tortillas peanut butter/jelly, lunch meat or just cheese. Chips (gluten free ones -- you can look at the frito lays site), fruit, salad.

A lot of restaurants and fast food places have a gluten free list but you still have to be very careful with CC.

If you are staying with family or a hotel where you have microwave or stove you can always do soup (Progresso notes if there is wheat in the ingredients) frozen meals that are gluten free etc......

Hope this helped some or at least a stepping block.

GOOD LUCK with the eating and house hunting :)

Avarismama Apprentice

Thanks for the tips. We wont be with anyt family. Just us in a hotel with three kids. Ugh!

Katesmom Newbie
I need idea's fast! My husband and I and our 3 kids have to leave town tomorrow to look at houses. We are relocating in 4 weeks for his job. Problems is what and where to eat. My son and I are on a gluten-free diet (waiting for test results, with postive changes). Were traveling to Klamath Falls, Oregon for 2 days to house hunt. I know there are some gluten-free choices at fast food joints but I don't know what. Also if we go to a regular restraunt what do I order? Please help!!! Can I eat breakfast in a restraunt too?

We just got home from a week long trip with my 7 year old celiac daughter. From my experience I have found that it is a lot easier to find a grocery store than a celiac friendly restaurant. (It's also a lot less stressful than worrying about CC.) For lunch we would pick up gluten-free lunch meats, cheese, fruits and veggies. We kept a cooler full of ice with us while driving around to store left overs for later. I also purchased an inexpensive single electric burner so that we could cook our own food in the hotel and I think I'll buy a small microwave for our next trip as well. We ended up saving quite a bit of money on food also. Good Luck!

lpellegr Collaborator

If you have a fridge and/or microwave in your room I'd recommend going to a grocery store. Look for packets of tuna, individual servings of baked beans, fruit cups, peanut butter, cheese slices or sticks. Dinty Moore beef stew and some of the shelf-stable dinners are gluten-free. Yoplait yogurt. Box of Nut Thins crackers for the peanut butter, bag of apples, cans of peanuts, juice boxes, gluten-free cereal (Koala Crisp or Gorilla Munch are in most stores), big bag of Pirate Booty for bedtime snack. Lara Bars or Clif Nectar bars if you can find them - many are gluten-free.

In most restaurants you can get a steak or a burger without bun - explain to them what you must avoid. For breakfast, fried or hardboiled eggs (so you know they're not mixed with anything bad - avoid scrambled and omelets) and fresh fruit. If there is an Outback Steakhouse, PF Chang's, or Charlie Brown's they should have a gluten-free menu. It never hurts to ask. Most of the time you can get a salad with no croutons and oil and vinegar dressing. Chicken or fish without any marinade or coating, cooked in a clean pan with clean utensils should also work. Baked potato that hasn't been cut (you don't know where the knife has been). In a Chinese restaurant you can get steamed veggies with meat or shrimp in white sauce - avoid all the soy sauce.

Hope this helps - I know how aggravating travel can be. I pack a giant fanny pack (my kids call it the Fanny Pack 3000) with gluten-free crackers, tuna cups, cheese sticks, Larabars, and whatever else doesn't need a fridge or heat, and some plastic utensils and napkins, so wherever we go, I'll have something if everything on the menu looks unsafe (like in a diner where everything is breaded or fried with the breaded stuff).

Archived