Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Post Fruity Pebbles And Cocoa Pebbles - Gf?

• Please log in to reply

13 replies to this topic

#1 KristinNeff

KristinNeff

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 December 2004 - 08:31 AM

Hi everyone... I am relatively new member, with an 8 year old daughter who has recently been diagnosed with Celiac Disease. She has not been well, despite the gluten-free diet, and it certainly very unhappy about her food choices. I read a reference to Post cereals Fruity Pebbles and Cocoa Pebbles being gluten-free, and went ahead and bought them for my daughter.

But now I am unsure... has anyone CONFIRMED that Post Fruity Pebbles and Coca pebbles are in fact gluten-free?

Thanks for your help...

Meg's mum

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Guest_jhmom_*

Guest_jhmom_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 December 2004 - 02:42 PM

Hi Meg's Mum, :D

It is my understanding that these products are gluten-free. My daughter and I eat them all the time without any problems.

I hope your daughter adjusts to the diet and begins to feel better soon. My daughter was 8 when she was dx too, she had a tough time at first but we were able to find replacements for some of her favorite foods.

#3 cdford

cdford

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 751 posts

Posted 30 December 2004 - 04:37 PM

Malt-o-Meal versions are also gluten-free if your budget is tight. Some of the store brands are but you have to read carefully. My kids went crazy for a while until we found some gluten-free cereals. I still miss my frosted mini wheats.

Donna
Donna
South Georgia
9 yrs gluten-free
...also DH, fibromyalgia, neuropathy, osteopenia, hypothyroid...

After almost 10 years, I am doing soooo much better!

#4 msserena

msserena

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 30 December 2004 - 07:45 PM

Hello

When I checked the labels of these cereals they do contain "malt flavoring"
Also the Malt o Meal brand too.
Which it may differ from person to person about the malt flavoring, but I know that when I have tried these certain cereals they have made me sick :blink:

#5 angel_jd1

angel_jd1

Gluten Free Goddess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,053 posts

Posted 30 December 2004 - 07:56 PM

Are you outside of the United States? Here in the US those cereals are fine. Malt-O-Meal even has a statement on their website. Post is a Kraft company, Kraft has a policy of listing allergens clearly on the labeling. I just bought a box of fruity pebbles today and it has absolutly no "malt" anywhere on the box. Maybe you are thinking of rice krispies, which DO have malt flavoring and are NOT safe. Just a thought.

-Jessica :rolleyes:

Here is the info from the Malt-O-Meal Site :

Q: Which cereals are gluten-free?
A: Currently, we produce four gluten-free cereals:

• Malt-O-Meal Puffed Rice
• Malt-O-Meal Corn Bursts®
• Malt-O-Meal Fruity Dyno-Bites®
• Malt-O-Meal Cocoa Dyno-Bites®.
malt o meal site
Jessica
Gluten Free since 12-31-2002!!
Kansas

#6 msserena

msserena

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 30 December 2004 - 08:05 PM

HI angel_jd1

Yes I am in the USA. But for some reason these cereals really get to me.
I know its not from the milk because I do just fine on the Malt O Meal puffed rice.
But they sure do taste alot better then the puffed rice thats for sure :angry:

#7 debmidge

debmidge

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,566 posts

Posted 31 December 2004 - 05:41 AM

Q: Are these gluten-free cereals subject to cross contamination? That's another consideration.
Husband has Celiac Disease and
Husband misdiagnosed for 27 yrs -
The misdiagnosis was: IBS or colitis
Mis-diagnosed from 1977 to 2003 by various gastros including one of the largest,
most prestigious medical groups in northern NJ which constantly advertises themselves as
being the "best." This GI told him it was "all in his head."
Serious Depressive state ensued
Finally Diagnosed with celiac disease in 2003
Other food sensitivities: almost all fruits, vegetables, spices, eggs, nuts, yeast, fried foods, roughage, soy.
Needs to gain back at least 25 lbs. of the 40 lbs pounds he lost - lost a great amout of body fat and muscle
Developed neuropathy in 2005
Now has lymphadema 2006
It is my opinion that his subsequent disorders could have been avoided had he been diagnosed sooner by any of the dozen or so doctors he saw between 1977 to 2003

#8 angel_jd1

angel_jd1

Gluten Free Goddess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,053 posts

Posted 31 December 2004 - 06:15 AM

When I had called about the post pebbles, I was told they were even made on dedicated lines. I was shocked, but very happy. I'm sure this could of changed, but I don't have any trouble with them, and know alot of other people who do not either.

-Jessica :rolleyes:
Jessica
Gluten Free since 12-31-2002!!
Kansas

#9 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 31 December 2004 - 09:03 AM

I'm sorry, but you are just flat-out wrong about those cereals containing malt flavoring in the U.S. I have in my hands a box each of Fruity Pebbles and Cocoa Pebbles bought just a couple of weeks ago. Neither has malt flavoring listed anywhere on the box. I've had celiac disease for more than three years and both these cereals have always been gluten-free during that time.

richard

#10 msserena

msserena

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 01 January 2005 - 07:41 PM

Hi

Correction on the Fruity Pebbles and Cocoa Pebbles and the Malt O Meal brands of these.

It is actually differ cereals that they suggest as gluten free, but which they all contain malt flavoring. Here is a link to them:

http://www.kelloggs....cts/results.asp

But have found out why the malt o meal cereal brands, Fruity Dyno-Bites and Cocoa Dyno-Bites make me sick is one contains caramel coloring and the other contains yellow 5.

My doc has informed me that I prob should wait to heal up before I try certain things.

Im sorry to put your undies in a bunch about it Richard. :blink:

#11 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 02 January 2005 - 07:11 AM

Note that the page you sent (which didn't come up for me) is a U.K. page, so it would not apply to the U.S.

If I sounded a little irritated it's only because I think fourms like this need to provide accurate information. Saying something is gluten-free when it isn't can make people sick, and saying something isn't when it is only makes our lives that much harder. I've certainly made my share of mistakes over the years.

richard

#12 msserena

msserena

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 02 January 2005 - 09:14 AM

Its no prob Richard.

Im just curious as to how UK claims these cereals are ok?
I would think people there are really getting sick from those Cereals?

But I got that link right at Kelloggs site. Thats what came up when I did a search for Gluten free.

I am recently dign with this so I am still trying to sort things out.
I have had this undign for over 6 years, at this point everything still makes me sick, gluten free or not. In this time it has really done its damage. But really good to know that I wasnt losing my mind and its actually a disease. ;)

Have a Great day :)

#13 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 02 January 2005 - 07:16 PM

The UK has an official gluten level of 200 ppm. If your product is below that, it's considered gluten-free there. That level still makes some people obviously ill, but they are considered the exceptions (and in fact they probably are the exception. My guess, although I haven't tried it out, is that I could eat more than that with no obvious reactions). The U.S. actually has no official level.

The big question is what level causes hidden damage even if there is no obvious reaction. The answer to that is unknown and almost certainly varies according to the individual. I was VERY ill and despite my lack of obvious reactions, elect to stay as gluten-free as possible without driving myself insane over it.

richard

#14 KristinNeff

KristinNeff

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 January 2005 - 08:57 AM

I just wanted to thank everyone for their help. So it seems that Fruity and Cocoa Pebbles are fine, much to the delight of my daughter!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: