Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Gluten-free Easter Candy?

15 posts in this topic

Easter is right around the corner! Does anyone know any typical Easter candy that may be gluten-free? So far, I am aware that Jelly Bellys are :D

Thanks!

~Lore :P

Ads by Google:

Ohhh, I can't wait for people to respond to this thread! LOL! I want to know about Peeps! :P

I know that Starbursts and Skittles are.

Ohhh, I can't wait for people to respond to this thread! LOL! I want to know about Peeps! :P

I know that Starbursts and Skittles are.

Peeps are gluten free.

Here is a list of gluten free candy. I believe that it is 2007 update. As noted recently on this site, Cadbury Eggs are NO LONGER GLUTEN FREE. <_<

http://files.meetup.com/30853/gluten-free%20Candy%2...ober%202007.pdf

If only we could have some skittles . . . *sigh*

We're still trying to track down some issues with my daughter. We know blue dye is a problem and now suspect red dye as well. Found a neat little website that has all kinds of niche candy . . . gluten-free, caisen free, dye free, vegan, etc

http://www.illinoisnut.com/

I know for a fact that Marshmallow Peeps by Just Born are listed as gluten free. see this news release:

http://justborn.com/news/032308a_easter.html

In addition, Hershey does not maintain a gluten free listing but will always clearly label allergens in accordance with the following page:

http://www.hersheys.com/nutrition/ingredients.asp

Cadbury Mini Eggs are in the Hershey family and are my FAVORITE.... i'm fairly certain that they are gluten free, but just check the ingredients listing :)

keep 'em coming. we loves us some candy!!

Cadbury Mini Eggs are in the Hershey family and are my FAVORITE.... i'm fairly certain that they are gluten free, but just check the ingredients listing :)

Joe,

Information from another thread indicated that Cadbury Eggs NOW LIST WHEAT GLUCOSE, and it is clearly listed on the ingredients. Bummer! (seen it with my own eyes) <_<

thanks Lisa.... but I actually meant the Cadbury Mini Eggs... they are the small solid chocolate eggs with the hard candy shell. my absolute favorite candy. I haven't seen the ingredients myself, but my sister is my biggest advocate and she looked it up for me somewhere. I was never a big fan of the big cadbury eggs with all of that goo inside anyway ;) haha, yeah i'll keep telling myself that!

Starburst jelly beans are gluten-free. it says so right on the bag :D I've been through 2 bags already :ph34r:

Thank you everyone!!!!

So far I know that

Jelly Belly

Starburst/jelly beans

Sour skittles- are regular skittles? I've seen "GLUTEN FREE" on the sour bag but not reg.

Peeps- YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Funny story about Peeps... last Easter while my family and I went to church my dog was at home alone with the Easter baskets and we came back to find that our Peeps were gone! Then I looked at my dog whose face was covered in purple foam :lol:

Keep it comin!!!!

Joe,

Information from another thread indicated that Cadbury Eggs NOW LIST WHEAT GLUCOSE, and it is clearly listed on the ingredients. Bummer! (seen it with my own eyes) <_<

Momma Goose - during your candy research did you come across any info about what kind of grain alcohol they use in vanillin. I've eaten some candies that appear to be gluten free, but for some reason I will have a slight gluten type reaction (itchng, etc). When I read the ingredients, the only suspect I see is the grain alcohol in the vanillin. :)

Hi folks.

It has been a very long time since I've posted on here. In any event, this is what I posted to someone making inquiries with my children's special dietary group here in sunny Tucson, Az :D . The information comes from Clan Thompson (how would we survive without them??). This is regarding the specifics about Peeps:

Peeps Blue Chicks

Peeps Cocoa Bunnies

Peeps Cocoa Cats

Peeps Ghosts

Peeps Green Chicks

Peeps Hearts

Peeps Lavendar Chicks

Peeps Pink Chicks

Peeps Pumpkins

Peeps Snowmen

Peeps Sugar Free Chicks

Peeps Trees

Peeps White Chicks

Peeps Yellow Chicks

All are gluten free. All are casein free except for the cocoa flavors. Some are on dedicated lines, others are not (but are washed in between productions). I would let my daughter eat any of them though as that is a matter of comfort level, and I am comfortable with it.

:D Diana

Momma Goose - during your candy research did you come across any info about what kind of grain alcohol they use in vanillin. I've eaten some candies that appear to be gluten free, but for some reason I will have a slight gluten type reaction (itchng, etc). When I read the ingredients, the only suspect I see is the grain alcohol in the vanillin. :)

As noted on a separate thread regarding Cadbury Mini Eggs, Hershey's will NOT guarantee the gluten status of this product. Hershey also stated that "natural flavor" in ANY OF THEIR PRODUCTS ARE NOT CONSIDERED GLUTEN FREE. They will not identify any gluten source from their suppliers as it is "propriety information and they are not required to disclose". SO, therefore their product may or may not contain barley, malt or rye.... (as per a conversation with a supervisor 3-6-08 )

SHAME ON HERSHEY! :angry:

SHAME ON HERSHEY! :angry:

I agree! Why do they have to be so difficult?!?! We aren't out to steal their recipes. We'd just like to buy their products!

Please keep the lists coming...I'm still thinking about putting Lego pieces in the eggs (my son LOVES Legos), maybe some coins, but you have to have some candy. Although, as scared as I've been lately about what he eats maybe I could just fill them with pure, 100%, gluten free, sugar! :lol:

I agree! Why do they have to be so difficult?!?! We aren't out to steal their recipes. We'd just like to buy their products!

Please keep the lists coming...I'm still thinking about putting Lego pieces in the eggs (my son LOVES Legos), maybe some coins, but you have to have some candy. Although, as scared as I've been lately about what he eats maybe I could just fill them with pure, 100%, gluten free, sugar! :lol:

My goodness that's hilarious. But no kidding either!

FYI: Jelly Belly jelly beans are gluten free.

~Diana

yay for peeps!

now for the really important thing - how long should you open the package for.

Yah, I like my peeps 'aged' :o - the texture is so much better when they're slightly stale :D .

Any advice for the perfect amount of stale-ness?