- - - - -

Gluten-free Easter Candy?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Lore_*

Guest_Lore_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 February 2008 - 03:58 PM

Easter is right around the corner! Does anyone know any typical Easter candy that may be gluten-free? So far, I am aware that Jelly Bellys are :D

Thanks!

~Lore :P

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 confusedks

confusedks

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,743 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 04:05 PM

Ohhh, I can't wait for people to respond to this thread! LOL! I want to know about Peeps! :P

I know that Starbursts and Skittles are.
Dairy/Casein Free- March 2007
Gluten Free- May 2007
Soy Free- August 2007
Sugar Free- January 2008
Starch Free- January 2008
Egg Free (again!)- February 2008
Sulfur Free- May 2008

Dx'd Lyme Disease and co-infections- December 2007

#3 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 04:24 PM

Ohhh, I can't wait for people to respond to this thread! LOL! I want to know about Peeps! :P

I know that Starbursts and Skittles are.

Peeps are gluten free.

Here is a list of gluten free candy. I believe that it is 2007 update. As noted recently on this site, Cadbury Eggs are NO LONGER GLUTEN FREE. <_<

http://files.meetup......ober 2007.pdf
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#4 Darn210

Darn210

Cookies!!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 04:26 PM

If only we could have some skittles . . . *sigh*

We're still trying to track down some issues with my daughter. We know blue dye is a problem and now suspect red dye as well. Found a neat little website that has all kinds of niche candy . . . gluten-free, caisen free, dye free, vegan, etc

http://www.illinoisnut.com/
Janet

Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.

Posted Image

#5 njbeachbum

njbeachbum

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 04:27 PM

I know for a fact that Marshmallow Peeps by Just Born are listed as gluten free. see this news release:

http://justborn.com/...08a_easter.html

In addition, Hershey does not maintain a gluten free listing but will always clearly label allergens in accordance with the following page:

http://www.hersheys....ingredients.asp

Cadbury Mini Eggs are in the Hershey family and are my FAVORITE.... i'm fairly certain that they are gluten free, but just check the ingredients listing :)

keep 'em coming. we loves us some candy!!
Joe

Dx Crohn's Disease - December, 1993
Positive Blood Test - November, 2007
Positive Biopsy - December 21, 2007
Gluten Free since December 3, 2007
Crohn's Medication stopped on January 17, 2008

#6 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 04:33 PM

Cadbury Mini Eggs are in the Hershey family and are my FAVORITE.... i'm fairly certain that they are gluten free, but just check the ingredients listing :)
[/quote]

Joe,

Information from another thread indicated that Cadbury Eggs NOW LIST WHEAT GLUCOSE, and it is clearly listed on the ingredients. Bummer! (seen it with my own eyes) <_<
Lisa

#7 njbeachbum

njbeachbum

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 05:13 PM

Joe,

Information from another thread indicated that Cadbury Eggs NOW LIST WHEAT GLUCOSE, and it is clearly listed on the ingredients. Bummer! (seen it with my own eyes) <_<

thanks Lisa.... but I actually meant the Cadbury Mini Eggs... they are the small solid chocolate eggs with the hard candy shell. my absolute favorite candy. I haven't seen the ingredients myself, but my sister is my biggest advocate and she looked it up for me somewhere. I was never a big fan of the big cadbury eggs with all of that goo inside anyway ;) haha, yeah i'll keep telling myself that!
Joe

Dx Crohn's Disease - December, 1993
Positive Blood Test - November, 2007
Positive Biopsy - December 21, 2007
Gluten Free since December 3, 2007
Crohn's Medication stopped on January 17, 2008

#8 aggieceliac

aggieceliac

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 07:18 PM

Starburst jelly beans are gluten-free. it says so right on the bag :D I've been through 2 bags already :ph34r:
[b]Gluten-Free since August 2005b]

#9 Guest_Lore_*

Guest_Lore_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 February 2008 - 08:18 AM

Thank you everyone!!!!

So far I know that

Jelly Belly
Starburst/jelly beans
Sour skittles- are regular skittles? I've seen "GLUTEN FREE" on the sour bag but not reg.
Peeps- YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Funny story about Peeps... last Easter while my family and I went to church my dog was at home alone with the Easter baskets and we came back to find that our Peeps were gone! Then I looked at my dog whose face was covered in purple foam :lol:

Keep it comin!!!!

#10 greendog

greendog

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 12:40 PM

Joe,

Momma Goose - during your candy research did you come across any info about what kind of grain alcohol they use in vanillin. I've eaten some candies that appear to be gluten free, but for some reason I will have a slight gluten type reaction (itchng, etc). When I read the ingredients, the only suspect I see is the grain alcohol in the vanillin. :)
"The decisions we make dictate the life we live. To thine on self be true."

#11 Diana Knoepfle

Diana Knoepfle

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 10:41 AM

Hi folks.

It has been a very long time since I've posted on here. In any event, this is what I posted to someone making inquiries with my children's special dietary group here in sunny Tucson, Az :D . The information comes from Clan Thompson (how would we survive without them??). This is regarding the specifics about Peeps:

Peeps Blue Chicks
Peeps Cocoa Bunnies
Peeps Cocoa Cats
Peeps Ghosts
Peeps Green Chicks
Peeps Hearts
Peeps Lavendar Chicks
Peeps Pink Chicks
Peeps Pumpkins
Peeps Snowmen
Peeps Sugar Free Chicks
Peeps Trees
Peeps White Chicks
Peeps Yellow Chicks

All are gluten free. All are casein free except for the cocoa flavors. Some are on dedicated lines, others are not (but are washed in between productions). I would let my daughter eat any of them though as that is a matter of comfort level, and I am comfortable with it.

:D Diana

#12 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 10:55 AM

Momma Goose - during your candy research did you come across any info about what kind of grain alcohol they use in vanillin. I've eaten some candies that appear to be gluten free, but for some reason I will have a slight gluten type reaction (itchng, etc). When I read the ingredients, the only suspect I see is the grain alcohol in the vanillin. :)

As noted on a separate thread regarding Cadbury Mini Eggs, Hershey's will NOT guarantee the gluten status of this product. Hershey also stated that "natural flavor" in ANY OF THEIR PRODUCTS ARE NOT CONSIDERED GLUTEN FREE. They will not identify any gluten source from their suppliers as it is "propriety information and they are not required to disclose". SO, therefore their product may or may not contain barley, malt or rye.... (as per a conversation with a supervisor 3-6-08 )

SHAME ON HERSHEY! :angry:
Lisa

#13 CeliacMom2008

CeliacMom2008

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 06:46 PM

SHAME ON HERSHEY! :angry:

I agree! Why do they have to be so difficult?!?! We aren't out to steal their recipes. We'd just like to buy their products!

Please keep the lists coming...I'm still thinking about putting Lego pieces in the eggs (my son LOVES Legos), maybe some coins, but you have to have some candy. Although, as scared as I've been lately about what he eats maybe I could just fill them with pure, 100%, gluten free, sugar! :lol:

#14 Diana Knoepfle

Diana Knoepfle

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 07:55 PM

I agree! Why do they have to be so difficult?!?! We aren't out to steal their recipes. We'd just like to buy their products!

Please keep the lists coming...I'm still thinking about putting Lego pieces in the eggs (my son LOVES Legos), maybe some coins, but you have to have some candy. Although, as scared as I've been lately about what he eats maybe I could just fill them with pure, 100%, gluten free, sugar! :lol:

My goodness that's hilarious. But no kidding either!

FYI: Jelly Belly jelly beans are gluten free.

~Diana

#15 babysteps

babysteps

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 10:56 AM

yay for peeps!

now for the really important thing - how long should you open the package for.
Yah, I like my peeps 'aged' :o - the texture is so much better when they're slightly stale :D .
Any advice for the perfect amount of stale-ness?
gluten-free (except unintentionally) from 7 Dec 2007
3 gluten-free cousins and counting (1 gold standard, 1 pos blood/no endo, 1 self/dietary diagnosed)
suspect mother was celiac (also, cousin suspects my mother's twin is celiac)

Feb 08 testing 'normal range' for gluten antibodies, IBD and food allergies
Staying off gluten - dietary reaction is compelling for me!

"Hi, I'm the gluten-free diner at your table."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: