5 replies to this topic

#1 Carriefaith

Carriefaith

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 30 December 2004 - 07:34 PM

There was an article in Reader's Digest January 2005 (pgs 68-75) called "Diseases Doctors often miss" by Anne Paillard that discusses celiac disease (I don't know if Reader's Digest is sold in the USA since it is a Canadian magazine).

The article talks about 9 diseases that doctors often miss or cannot always detect right away. Celiac disease is the third disease mentioned. The article says that at the very least, 6,000 Canadians know that they have celiac (through diagnosis). But according to some research, there could be as many as 1/4 million with celaic disease! The article also talks about the symptoms, diagnosis, and the treatment of celiac.

A few other diseases mentioned that might be of interest were; Osteoporosis, Lupus, and Hypothyroidism.
Carrie Faith

Diagnosed with Celiac Disease in March 2004
Postitive tTg Blood Test, December 2003
Positive Biopsy, March 3, 2004

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 debmidge

debmidge

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,566 posts

Posted 31 December 2004 - 04:05 AM

Reader's Digest is sold in USA - I believe their headquarters is in NY.
It was published 1/04 - I have a copy of that issue.
Husband has Celiac Disease and
Husband misdiagnosed for 27 yrs -
The misdiagnosis was: IBS or colitis
Mis-diagnosed from 1977 to 2003 by various gastros including one of the largest,
most prestigious medical groups in northern NJ which constantly advertises themselves as
being the "best." This GI told him it was "all in his head."
Serious Depressive state ensued
Finally Diagnosed with celiac disease in 2003
Other food sensitivities: almost all fruits, vegetables, spices, eggs, nuts, yeast, fried foods, roughage, soy.
Needs to gain back at least 25 lbs. of the 40 lbs pounds he lost - lost a great amout of body fat and muscle
Developed neuropathy in 2005
Now has lymphadema 2006
It is my opinion that his subsequent disorders could have been avoided had he been diagnosed sooner by any of the dozen or so doctors he saw between 1977 to 2003

#3 debmidge

debmidge

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,566 posts

Posted 31 December 2004 - 04:07 AM

Let me correct myself, RD ran that story in the 2/04 Edition that I have and it's on pages 120-127. I wonder now if RD is running the story again in their 1/05 issue or if it's an new updated story....
Mis-diagnosed from 1977 to 2003 by various gastros including one of the largest,
most prestigious medical groups in northern NJ which constantly advertises themselves as
Other food sensitivities: almost all fruits, vegetables, spices, eggs, nuts, yeast, fried foods, roughage, soy.
Needs to gain back at least 25 lbs. of the 40 lbs pounds he lost - lost a great amout of body fat and muscle
Now has lymphadema 2006
It is my opinion that his subsequent disorders could have been avoided had he been diagnosed sooner by any of the dozen or so doctors he saw between 1977 to 2003

#4 Canadian Karen

Canadian Karen

That Crazy Canuck!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,554 posts

Posted 02 January 2005 - 03:51 AM

Hi! I also bought this Reader's Digest magazine when the front stated an article about "Diseases Doctors Often Overlook".

The Celiac Disease portion of the article tells about a woman called Connie Cyr of Saskatchewan. Is it the same article as the one in the US?

Karen
Karen

positive bloodwork, positive biopsy
Celiac, collagenous colitis, hypothyroidism
endometriosis (at age 20)
spinal stenosis (early 20's)

Biopsy August 2006 confirmed complete villous atrophy despite being gluten-free for years and bloodwork within range showing compliance with diet. Doctor has confirmed diagnosis of Refractory Celiac Sprue.
Endoscopy also showed numerous stomach ulcers, have started taking Losec.

Mother to Eileen 13 yrs
Rhiannon 8 yrs
Daniel & Connor 6 yr twin boys......

"Joyfulness keeps the heart and face young. A good laugh makes us better friends with ourselves and everybody around us."
Orison Swett Marden

Laughter is the shortest distance between two people.
-- Victor Borge

"An optimist laughs to forget. A pessimist forgets to laugh."
Tom Nansbury

"Doctor to patient: I have good news and bad news. The good news is that you are not a hypochondriac."
Unknown

#5 Carriefaith

Carriefaith

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 03 January 2005 - 01:04 PM

Karen,
I'm not sure if it's the same article as the one in the US, I just have the Canadian one. I assume it would be the same. Does anyone else know?
-Carrie
Carrie Faith

Diagnosed with Celiac Disease in March 2004
Postitive tTg Blood Test, December 2003
Positive Biopsy, March 3, 2004

#6 debmidge

debmidge

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,566 posts

Posted 04 January 2005 - 03:00 AM

The USA Readers' D. 2/04 the featured celiac is Jackie Rosenblum of Los Angeles. Wouldn't it be something if these people use this forum?
Now has lymphadema 2006

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: