Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

"diseases Doctors Often Miss" - Article

6 posts in this topic

There was an article in Reader's Digest January 2005 (pgs 68-75) called "Diseases Doctors often miss" by Anne Paillard that discusses celiac disease (I don't know if Reader's Digest is sold in the USA since it is a Canadian magazine).

The article talks about 9 diseases that doctors often miss or cannot always detect right away. Celiac disease is the third disease mentioned. The article says that at the very least, 6,000 Canadians know that they have celiac (through diagnosis). But according to some research, there could be as many as 1/4 million with celaic disease! The article also talks about the symptoms, diagnosis, and the treatment of celiac.

A few other diseases mentioned that might be of interest were; Osteoporosis, Lupus, and Hypothyroidism.

Ads by Google:

Reader's Digest is sold in USA - I believe their headquarters is in NY.

It was published 1/04 - I have a copy of that issue.

Let me correct myself, RD ran that story in the 2/04 Edition that I have and it's on pages 120-127. I wonder now if RD is running the story again in their 1/05 issue or if it's an new updated story....

Hi! I also bought this Reader's Digest magazine when the front stated an article about "Diseases Doctors Often Overlook".

The Celiac Disease portion of the article tells about a woman called Connie Cyr of Saskatchewan. Is it the same article as the one in the US?

Karen

Karen,

I'm not sure if it's the same article as the one in the US, I just have the Canadian one. I assume it would be the same. Does anyone else know?

-Carrie

The USA Readers' D. 2/04 the featured celiac is Jackie Rosenblum of Los Angeles. Wouldn't it be something if these people use this forum?