This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Pregnant And Constipated

kali-mist

kali-mist Apprentice

I'm about 8 weeks pregnant and I am constipated. :unsure: From what I hear this is a common occurance during pregnancy. I have severe stomach cramps because of it that are very uncomfortable. I've been drinking a glass of prune juice a day which kind of helps but it tastes awful, I'm really sick of it, plus I'm still getting cramps. Is there anything else I can use to keep me regular - gluten free of course!!

This is my 3rd post since I found out I was prego....in case you can't tell I need a lot of help!! Thanks so much to all of you for your help. :lol:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

moldlady Rookie

Hi kali,

Prune juice is terrible!

This may take a little time but try eating 5 black olives at every meal. It is gentle and will help move things along. It may take a week to get the intestines retrained.

In the mean time, you may have to use a fleet or two or stool softeners over the counter immediate help.

ML

mftnchn Explorer

C is my main celiac symptom. The best thing that works for me is a combo of Vitamin C and magnesium. I take mine in a buffered Vit C form (Thorne is the brand). Not sure if that is okay during pregnancy. Fibers haven't helped me much.

loco-ladi Contributor

I could never deal with prune juice but i find if I eat enough apples it ussually does the trick... good luck!

alamaz Collaborator

i second the vitamin c. i took 1,000 mg of vitamin c powder last night and had to go within two hours. i just buy the powdered vitamin c from trader joe's and mix it with water. if you start to get the opposite effect - as in the big D - cut back as that is a sign you've had to much vitamin c. also, pears and apples are good to get things moving!

celiac-mommy Collaborator

I use the dried apricots from Costco-works like a charm every time. Also lots of water and exercise--walking usually helps. Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...
loraleena Contributor

Taking magnesium really helps and so does sweet potato.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 2 weeks later...
Ksanders Newbie
I'm about 8 weeks pregnant and I am constipated. :unsure: From what I hear this is a common occurance during pregnancy. I have severe stomach cramps because of it that are very uncomfortable. I've been drinking a glass of prune juice a day which kind of helps but it tastes awful, I'm really sick of it, plus I'm still getting cramps. Is there anything else I can use to keep me regular - gluten free of course!!

This is my 3rd post since I found out I was prego....in case you can't tell I need a lot of help!! Thanks so much to all of you for your help. :lol:

I am 30 weeks pregnant and had the same problem. I find eating citrus helps. But lately my favorite thing is a homemade breakfast cereal I make. It has 8 different grains and seeds which I run through the coffee grinder and cook up like porridge. It is unbeleiveably good and really high in fiber, iron, calcium, protien and much much more. Let me know if you are interested in the recipe. Good luck on the pregnancy.

Kim

HiDee Rookie
It is unbeleiveably good and really high in fiber, iron, calcium, protien and much much more. Let me know if you are interested in the recipe.

Kim

I'd like the recipe. I eat an egg and gluten-free oatmeal every morning, but it gets kind of boring after a while. Also, I find metamucil works alright for constipation and it's gluten free. Or I also second the lots of water and fruit option, that's the most natural way.

tarnalberry Community Regular

magnesium. flax meal. those two definitely affect me! ;)

Ksanders Newbie
I'd like the recipe. I eat an egg and gluten-free oatmeal every morning, but it gets kind of boring after a while. Also, I find metamucil works alright for constipation and it's gluten free. Or I also second the lots of water and fruit option, that's the most natural way.

Here is my 8 grain cereal mix recipe.

Equal parts of:

Quinoa, millet, amaranth, corn meal, seseame seeds, flax seeds and buckwheat and 2 parts brown rice.

I put each grain through the coffee grinder (except for the cornmeal) separately. Then mix it all together. I do about 1/2 a cup of each and store it all in the fridge and it lasts us for a few days. To cook I bring 4 cups of water to a boil (1/2 t salt) and add 1 cup of the cereal, turn down the heat to med low and cook uncovered for 15 or 20 minutes or until it is soft and cooked. Since this is so healthy I then top with butter and agave nectar/maple syrup/brown sugar or whatever.

It really is surprisingly good. Even my picky eaters like it.

HiDee Rookie
Here is my 8 grain cereal mix recipe.

Equal parts of:

Quinoa, millet, amaranth, corn meal, seseame seeds, flax seeds and buckwheat and 2 parts brown rice.

I put each grain through the coffee grinder (except for the cornmeal) separately. Then mix it all together. I do about 1/2 a cup of each and store it all in the fridge and it lasts us for a few days. To cook I bring 4 cups of water to a boil (1/2 t salt) and add 1 cup of the cereal, turn down the heat to med low and cook uncovered for 15 or 20 minutes or until it is soft and cooked. Since this is so healthy I then top with butter and agave nectar/maple syrup/brown sugar or whatever.

It really is surprisingly good. Even my picky eaters like it.

Just a question about the quinoa, do you have to rinse it before grinding it? I have a bunch of quinoa and have wanted to make flour with it but wasn't sure if it could be ground up because I always rinse it before cooking because of the saponin stuff. Is it pretty bitter if ground up without having rinsed it? Or do you just buy pre-rinsed quinoa?

Ksanders Newbie
Just a question about the quinoa, do you have to rinse it before grinding it? I have a bunch of quinoa and have wanted to make flour with it but wasn't sure if it could be ground up because I always rinse it before cooking because of the saponin stuff. Is it pretty bitter if ground up without having rinsed it? Or do you just buy pre-rinsed quinoa?

I buy the stuff that isn't pre rinsed. The first time I made it I rinsed it then let it dry over night and ground it in the morning and added it to the rest. Since that though, if I am planning on eating that cereal in the morning I will soak the quinoa overnight and then add it in whole to the pot in the morning. I think the flavor is so much better after soaking it overnight. Then the cooking time is the same as all the other ground stuff so it works out pretty well.

StrongerToday Enthusiast

When I was pregnant, my dr. told me to put a good movie on tv, eat a *giant* bowl of popcorn with lots and lots of water to drink - works every time for me.

kali-mist Apprentice

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for your replies and advise. I may just have to try the recipe for cereal. Hopefully it's as good as you say it is. I don't really eat a lot of gluten-free alternatives to gluten foods. I never eat bread or cereal or anything, just pasta everyonce and a while.

Since my "problem" started I've stopped taking my prenatal everyday (just every second day now). My family doctor and obstrician said that it was ok. Also, I make a point of eating at least 3 servings of fruit a day. Especially oranges and fruits with lots of vitamin C. It seems to be working although I'm not as regular as I was before I got pregnant.

• 1 month later...
parla Newbie

I have one more that works like a charm, you all are going to say "gross!" but here goes:

Sauerkraut Juice mmmmm! :)

Actually it works great and it is not that bad. It has a tangy, salty taste.

Archived