11 replies to this topic

#1 Chloedoodle

Chloedoodle

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 February 2008 - 09:02 PM

I was diagnosed with DH four years ago. Since going on a gluten free diet I've gained so much weight. Every time a google a low fat gluten free diet I only come up with a gluten free diet. Can any one help me with a low fat gluten free diet so I can get this poundage off or at least point me in the right direction of someone or a website who can? Thanks a bunch fellow celiac friends!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Glutenfreefamily

Glutenfreefamily

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 25 February 2008 - 09:34 PM

Welcome to the board :) How low fat are you talking? I follow a low fat vegan diet to keep my weight off and to prevent high cholesterol and heart disease, mcdougall diet (similar to Ornish but a bit different)

mcdougall.com and vegiac.com are vegetarian websites. Vegiac is for vegetarians who have celiac and mcdougall is vegetarian and has a gluten free area on the forum with some members who have celiac also.

#3 celiac-mommy

celiac-mommy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,692 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 05:23 PM

Be careful- too low fat won't help you lose weight. You end up consuming more empty calories, you don't feel full and won't lose weight because you keep eating the low fat foods--been there. Calorie reduction is the key--calories in/calories out. You have to expend more than you're consuming. Balance the calorie reduction (but consume no less than 1200--more depending on your activity level) with exercise and you should be on the right track. Try to get some form of exercise every day and eat a balanced diet--if you want more info (I have a ton), PM me and I'll do what I can to help out.

Rachelle 20dance.gif

Daughter diagnosed 1/06 bloodwork and biopsy
-gluten-free since 1/06

Son tested negative-bloodwork (8/07), intestinal issues prompted biospy (3/08), results negative, but very positive dietary response, Dr. diagnosed Celiac disease (3/8)

#4 ruthla

ruthla

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 05:36 PM

Maybe try a low-carb gluten free diet? I personally never lost weight on lowfat diets, but I've been on a low carb diet for about 6 months, and in that time I lost about 20 pounds and I've pretty much maintainted it, although I still have about 30 more pounds to go. Low carb is the ONLY way I've ever been able to lose weight.

Most low carb diets are low on the grains, if they include them at all, so the low carb recipes are easy to convert to gluten-free (as long as you ignore some of the ones using wheat gluten as a white flour substitute! :lol:)

If you REALLY want a low fat diet, then I guess look for any low fat or calorie restricted diet, and substitute gluten-free alternatives for any gluteny options on the plan.
Ruth, single mom to DD1, 14, DD2, 113, and DS, 7

Kosher, low carb (since 6/3/07), gluten free (since 11/15/07), dairy free, mostly legume (incl. soy) free since 2/7/08. Now on the Blood Type Diet (type O) which includes cutting out corn as well. I have fibromyalgia and this diet is helping me feel better.

#5 Cindylou bunny

Cindylou bunny

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 01:14 PM

Hi,
I have celiac and also pancreatitis. So i can not eat a high fat diet. I would say lower carb diets are pretty successful, but i eat good carbs! Fruits and veggies. Maybe sugar is a problem? When i eat frequant small meals i feel better and lose weight, even thugh i am eating basicall all day long. It is supposed to keep your metabolism going in a positive directiona and also good for maintaining blood sugar levels. I know it took a little while but i got used to the smaller (NORMAL) portions.
Good luck

#6 Mom23boys

Mom23boys

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 03:00 PM

I was diagnosed with DH four years ago. Since going on a gluten free diet I've gained so much weight. Every time a google a low fat gluten free diet I only come up with a gluten free diet. Can any one help me with a low fat gluten free diet so I can get this poundage off or at least point me in the right direction of someone or a website who can? Thanks a bunch fellow celiac friends!

Well after not getting my new jeans zipped, I have decided I am going back on the 6 week body makeover program. It is Gluten-free Casein-free (actually how we started questioning gluten). The recipes aren't half bad.
Shellfish free since 1980
Milk free (all forms) since 1991
Feingold in 2003
First gluten-free round 2007
Now entering full time Gluten free, egg free, almond/peanut free

#7 nickim

nickim

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 08:20 AM

Be careful- too low fat won't help you lose weight. You end up consuming more empty calories, you don't feel full and won't lose weight because you keep eating the low fat foods--been there. Calorie reduction is the key--calories in/calories out. You have to expend more than you're consuming. Balance the calorie reduction (but consume no less than 1200--more depending on your activity level) with exercise and you should be on the right track. Try to get some form of exercise every day and eat a balanced diet--if you want more info (I have a ton), PM me and I'll do what I can to help out.

I would love to have some menus. I do exercise 2-3 days a week. I plan on doing more, but I just can't get over how much weight I am gaining. 17 lbs since May.... URGH.... I am now trying to dramatically reduce my portion sizes. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kim

#8 nickim

nickim

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 08:22 AM

Well after not getting my new jeans zipped, I have decided I am going back on the 6 week body makeover program. It is Gluten-free Casein-free (actually how we started questioning gluten). The recipes aren't half bad.

Where can I find this 6 week program?

Kim

#9 Jestgar

Jestgar

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,755 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 08:29 AM

This thread is almost three years old. Those posters (and programs) may not be around any more.
"But then, in all honesty, if scientists don't play god, who will?"
- James Watson

My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.
- Ashleigh Brilliant

Leap, and the net will appear.

#10 missy'smom

missy'smom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,953 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 12:52 PM

To the new poster:

As someone on this (old)thread mentioned, lowering the carbs and keeping a good amount of protein and fats will serve you better. The worst thing a person can do is high-carb low-fat. Insulin is the fat building hormone. The more carbs you eat, the more insulin your body puts out to manage the blood sugar impact of those carbs and if those carbs come with extra calories attatched to them, well all the more impact on weight gain. Fats alone don't make a person fat. Plan your meals around meats or eggs for the protein, add in 2 servings of veggies and a small portion of whole grains or slowly digested carbs if you must. Check Paleo diet which also includes some fruits but no gains. Eat 3 balanced meals a day with a good size portion of protein at each. Don't skip breakfast and don't eat a sugary, carby breakfast.
Me: GLUTEN-FREE 7/06, multiple food allergies, T2 DIABETES DX 8/08, LADA-Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults, Who knew food allergies could trigger an autoimmune attack on the pancreas?! 1/11 Re-DX T1 DM, pos. DQ2 Celiac gene test 9/11
Son: ADHD '06,
neg. CELIAC PANEL 5/07
ALLERGY: "positive" blood and skin tests to wheat, which triggers his eczema '08
ENTEROLAB testing: elevated Fecal Anti-tissue Transglutaminase IgA Dec. '08
Gluten-free-Feb. '09
other food allergies

#11 T.H.

T.H.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,814 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 09:23 PM

I am now trying to dramatically reduce my portion sizes. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kim

I was just reading about this today! Apparently, people who keep track of their calories - jot down how much you ate, and how many calories - tend to do better in continuing to keep the calories down.

And on top of that, if you take a picture of every thing you eat, with your hand next to it so you can see the actual portion size, that supposedly works well with our brains to motivate.

Haven't tried it - it was in a weight loss book - but I did record the calories for about 6 months and lost quite a bit of weight that way, so that part at least helped! :-)

T.H.

Gluten free since August 10, 2009.
21 years with undiagnosed Celiac Disease

23 years with undiagnosed sulfite sensitivity

25 years with undiagnosed mast cell activation disorder (MCAD) 

Daughter: celiac and MCAD positive

Son: gluten intolerant
Father, brother: celiac positive

#12 Alison R

Alison R

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 02:09 AM

Portions have been a problem for me for years. In high school and college I was involved in athletics six days a week.....that made me get used to eating like a man.
I try to shop the perimeter of the store and to help with my portioning and I have moved all my meals off of my dinner plates and onto salad plates. The plate looks full and pretty and I am forced to cut back portion size to still have variety.
Having said that, smaller portions mean you have to eat more often....5-6 times a day. Just make sure that EVERY time you eat, that you have some variety and include protein and fruits or veggies. Even if it is just an apple or celery with a nut butter.
tested for Parkinson's 1998 (at 19 yrs old)
dx benign familial tremor disorder 1998 - went caffeine-free
dx soy allergy 1999 - went soy-free
miscarriages in 2009 and 2010
fibroids found 2010 (dr advised a hysterectomy)
neurological symptoms increased, bloating and other digestive issues, memory loss, and energy loss since 2009.
Found info on celiac Dec 27, 2010 and went gluten free Jan 4, 2010.....and I already see a massive difference! Kitchen cleaned out completely on January 11, 2011.
Spending a small fortune on groceries, but I hope to be a HEALTHY, gluten-free, soy-free, caffeine-free bride later this year!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: