This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Meal Ideas For Hospital Stay

ginghamkim

ginghamkim Apprentice

Hi!

This will be my second child but first gluten-free pregnancy and delivery .

I have done my research and determined that I shouldn't trust the dietician and kitchen at the hospital and should prepare my own meals in advance to take to the hospital. Btw, it will be c-section so the stay will be 3 to 4 days.

What did you do when you were admitted to the hospital? I'm thinking I need to take a mini-fridge and microwave with me. Boy, won't they love to see me coming! :lol:

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Kim

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Phyllis28 Apprentice

I only had to stay for a day when I had my gallbladder out. I brought all my food except the drinks. I checked before and verifed that there was a refrigerator and a microwave in the nursing station area. I packed food that needed to be refregerated into single servings. I was able to supplement what I brought with whole fresh fruit from the hospital food service.

Juliebove Rising Star

Check with the hospital and see if they have a kitchen you can use. The one I had my baby at had a kitchen with a large fridge and freezer that I was allowed to put things in. They also had a microwave. I did have to walk to it and that was a pain because my legs were like jelly after giving birth, but at least it was there. Alas there was no such thing when she had to go back into the hospital because she had jaundice.

I was a vegetarian at the time and was concerned that I wouldn't be able to get vegetarian meals. And indeed the meals they sent were not vegetarian. Turns out the only thing they had was a grilled cheese which was disgusting by the time I got it. I don't have to worry about gluten. Daughter does. And I know of my food allergies now. I didn't know back then.

What I brought with me was cheese, baby carrots, nuts and chocolate. I was really craving the chocolate because I'd had gestational diabetes and was put on a special diet. If I had to do it again now, I would probably bring some kind of crackers or bread and some peanut butter. I would also bring some raw pumpkin seed bars. Those can sub for a meal. I might also bring a mix of dried fruits and nuts. If I were you, I would look for small single serve things that can be kept at room temp. Like packages of cookies, snack or meal bars, etc. You probably won't be in there that long.

When my husband was recently in the hospital, the meals he was served (at least dinner) seemed to be gluten free. He had a choice of white fish in a tomato sauce or beef stew. They also had a very nice cafeteria with a salad bar and fresh fruit. But I know not all hospitals are this good.

jerseyangel Proficient

I had surgery last year and had to be in for 2 days. In the days up to the hospital stay, I made extra food at dinner and made single dinners to put in the freezer.

I also bought Pacific Organic Chicken Broth in the single serving boxes for when I could only have liquids.

I discussed supplying my own food at the pre-op appt (they agreed it would be best) and they showed my husband the microwave where he could heat up my foods.

It actually worked out very well.

celiac-mommy Collaborator

oops

celiac-mommy Collaborator

I 2nd calling the maternity ward and asking about their fridge space. Most hospitals won't allow you to bring your own fridge/microwave because it's not a hospital cleared appliance. It's a fire hazard!! I wouldn't think it would be an issue to bring your own stuff. If they're neatly packed and labeled, it should be fine. Good luck to you and congrats!

ginghamkim Apprentice

Thanks everyone! Your responses are reassuring that I won't get in trouble with "nurse rachet". I'll check to see how much fridge space I can take up. Love the ideas about pumpkin seed bars and such. I'll have to go shopping before hand and really stock up.

The other problem is that the delivery hospital is an hour away from us so I will really have to be prepared for breakfast, lunch, supper and snacks. As long as the hospital doesn't give me a hassle, we will be just fine...I just always feel like I'm a pest with this diet.

Thanks Ladies!

Kim

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Glutenfreefamily Enthusiast

Im getting ready for a three day hospital stay myself. I have multiple intolerances and vegetarian so Im definitely cooking the food on my own.

What I plan on doing is bringing a big cooler and loading it up with food. The ice does have to be replaced daily but a family member could bring it in for you. Vegetarian food wont spoil without refrigeration that quickly so that might be an option for you. I would also get plenty of snack foods that are easily eaten and most dont require refrigeration.

Jersey angel -thanks for the broth ideas, I never thought about bringing veggie broth up. I had the soft foods covered with mashed potatoes and apple sauce but since I dont eat jello I could think of a clear liquid food to use.

angielackner Contributor

i'm really blessed that my hospital deals with gluten free frequently...my mom works there, so i eat in the cafeteria frequently when i visit her for lunch. they even have gluten free buns and bread. they did ok my first delivery food wise, but i still had my family go get me some restaraunt food too :) and then i had some snacks there that i stowed in nurses station fridge for off hours when i was hungry. i didnt get glutened. so i am hopeful for this delivery too.

good luck everyone!

angie

ginghamkim Apprentice

Definately like the cooler idea. Gives me a good excuse to get a good one with wheels!

zansu Rookie

I called ahead and spoke with the head of the cafeteria before my hospitalization, he said they knew gluten-free and it would be no problem. They have a celiac clinic, so I believed him. He lied.

No one came and spoke with me, so I couldn't trust the broth. Once I was on solids, they brought me rice krispies for breakfast. Lunch and dinner were pretty much rice and canned fruit. Given that constipation is a problem following anesthesia and with pain meds, a diet of white rice doesn't seem like a really good idea. I guess that's why they gave me the fruit.

so, even if they tell you they can handle it, have a backup plan.

Archived