20 replies to this topic

#1 mcdoncj

mcdoncj

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 31 December 2004 - 06:03 PM

Does anyone have dry facial skin. Seems to be dry skin & flaky especially around my hairline & sides of my face. I have just gotten this. I have had celiac for years & have it very much under control, but, this latest thing is awful. If anyone has this problem please answer this & what you did for it. Thank You so much!!!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 MySuicidalTurtle

MySuicidalTurtle

"Like a rolling stone?"

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,663 posts

Posted 31 December 2004 - 11:02 PM

I have the flakeness around my forehead and nose so bad. I used to be in the pool year round (swimming, polo, and synchro) and had some flakeyness but never as bas as when I went gluten-free. It drives me mad.

#3 Canadian Karen

Canadian Karen

That Crazy Canuck!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,554 posts

Posted 01 January 2005 - 03:34 AM

I have the exact same thing also.... around my nose and in the centre of my forehead just above my eyebrows... Also, this time of year, I also get extremely dry scalp that drives me bananas.... Haven't found anything to relieve it yet....
If anyone finds a solution, let me know!!!!

Karen
Karen

positive bloodwork, positive biopsy
Celiac, collagenous colitis, hypothyroidism
endometriosis (at age 20)
spinal stenosis (early 20's)

Biopsy August 2006 confirmed complete villous atrophy despite being gluten-free for years and bloodwork within range showing compliance with diet. Doctor has confirmed diagnosis of Refractory Celiac Sprue.
Endoscopy also showed numerous stomach ulcers, have started taking Losec.

Mother to Eileen 13 yrs
Rhiannon 8 yrs
Daniel & Connor 6 yr twin boys......

"Joyfulness keeps the heart and face young. A good laugh makes us better friends with ourselves and everybody around us."
Orison Swett Marden

Laughter is the shortest distance between two people.
-- Victor Borge

"An optimist laughs to forget. A pessimist forgets to laugh."
Tom Nansbury

"Doctor to patient: I have good news and bad news. The good news is that you are not a hypochondriac."
Unknown

#4 darlindeb25

darlindeb25

Advanced Community Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,324 posts

Posted 01 January 2005 - 06:20 AM

;) try to find a good peppermint lotion--i found the best one i have ever had from a store in michigan called, "World Market" but they have since quit making it :( and it is excellent--i have used it on sunburn--takes the sting out--if i have a headache i put it on my face and it helps with the pain--the scent alone is so cooling--my mom says to put peppermint oil under your eyes--it may just work for dry spots too--i do know my lotion is great for itching--i love it :D deb
Deb
Long Island, NY

Double DQ1, subtype 6

We urge all doctors to take time to listen to your patients.. don't "isolate" symptoms but look at the whole spectrum. If a patient tells you s/he feels as if s/he's falling apart and "nothing seems to be working properly", chances are s/he's right!

"The calm river of your life approaches the rocky chute of the rapids - flow on through. You are the same water. The rocks cannot hurt you. Remember, now and then, that you are the water and not the boat. Flow on!

#5 jboom

jboom

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 January 2005 - 05:05 AM

I get the same thing on my forhead and sides of my nose. I use a scrub and lotion, it doesn't seem to matter what lotion they all work the same. It usually just keeps it from getting any worse not really any better.
Do you think its Celiac related or do we just have dry skin?

#6 MySuicidalTurtle

MySuicidalTurtle

"Like a rolling stone?"

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,663 posts

Posted 06 January 2005 - 12:13 PM

I am not sure but I never had it likes this before going gluten-free. . .just a little but now it's bad.

#7 Connie R-E

Connie R-E

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 06 January 2005 - 04:58 PM

One of those serious scrubby pads (for the skin) will take it away, but I think it is a skin reaction from a food allergy. I'm allergy to soy, and if I eat it, I get the flaky forehead skin, too. If I don't eat soy, I don't get it. Get it? ;)
Everyone has their own unique allergies! It probabily won't even be soy for you--but, it's as good as any to start with!

Good luck narrowing it down!
Connie
gluten-free since 1-'98

#8 MySuicidalTurtle

MySuicidalTurtle

"Like a rolling stone?"

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,663 posts

Posted 06 January 2005 - 05:20 PM

What exactly are the scrubby things?

#9 Connie R-E

Connie R-E

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 07 January 2005 - 09:44 AM

:P I'm not exactly a frou-frou girl, so I don't know technically what they are called, but the look kinda like a fiberous synthetic loofa... (or the center of a floor buffing pad)! :wacko: And, they come with a sponge on the other side... ..mine is pink...
LOL!!
Does that help any? :lol:

Connie

#10 MySuicidalTurtle

MySuicidalTurtle

"Like a rolling stone?"

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,663 posts

Posted 07 January 2005 - 02:20 PM

Hmm, not really. . .where did you buy yours? I am sure that if I take that discription I would find the product at some bath store!

#11 Pegster

Pegster

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 07 January 2005 - 04:47 PM

Ask for a facial loofah. THey have them at the grocery store in the face products department. You could get one at Walmart or kMart.
PEGGY
Positive DH biopsy 4/19/04

#12 plantime

plantime

My two handsome grandsons

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 07 January 2005 - 08:08 PM

You might try adding omega-3 oil to your diet. I use ground flax every day, when I don't, the dry flaky skin comes back. My herbal remedies book says that celiacs have problems getting nutrients from fats (as if we didn't know that!), and to consume fish oil supplements. I'm not saying it will work for everyone, it just works for me!
Dessa

The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you." Numbers 6:24-25

#13 Carriefaith

Carriefaith

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 07 January 2005 - 08:16 PM

I have very dry skin. When my face gets really dry and flacky, I use a lotion/cream. Maybe try lotions/creams that are designed for the face. They are usually less harsh.
Carrie Faith

Diagnosed with Celiac Disease in March 2004
Postitive tTg Blood Test, December 2003
Positive Biopsy, March 3, 2004

#14 Carriefaith

Carriefaith

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 07 January 2005 - 08:17 PM

also... drink lots and lots of water and take vitamin E supplements. This may help some.
Carrie Faith

Diagnosed with Celiac Disease in March 2004
Postitive tTg Blood Test, December 2003
Positive Biopsy, March 3, 2004

#15 pixiegirl

pixiegirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 08 January 2005 - 04:47 AM

My favorite scrubby thing is the Buff Puff I use the one for sensitive skin, its not quite as scrubby. People that have very dry skin should only exfoliate about once a week. Drink lots of water, most people don't drink enough. I've had very very dry skin for years, the flakey kind and I discovered La Mer products about 3 years ago. The are the only product for me that keeps the flakies away all day. However, once you see the price of them you will drop over dead, expensive is an understatement.

I've had people tell me that I'm being ripped off by these products but I firmly believe that everyone is different and what works for me may not work for you. People have told me to try Aquaphore (makes me shiney and break outs), eucrine, Oil of Olay, clinic, I've tried them all but still the La Mer is the only one that keeps me flake free. I only use the lotion (not the cream which is way too emolient for even me) and I only use it in the cold months of the year because its too much for me in the summer. And I only need a little bit, so its not as costly for me as it seems.

Susan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: