20 replies to this topic

#16 flagbabyds

flagbabyds

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,345 posts

Posted 08 January 2005 - 08:50 AM

Make sure that all your lotions and all your champoos are gluten-free because that can cause dry skin
Molly

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 minibabe

minibabe

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 13 January 2005 - 11:54 AM

I have recently been diagnosed and do you have to use gluten-free produts on your skin. And yes I have never had a problem with my skin unitl I went gluten-free. I have it around my hair line and above my eye brows. It is really frustrating b/c I have never had this problem before. Is this directly related to Celiac diease? and if anyone has any ideas please help :(

#18 BabySnooks

BabySnooks

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 21 August 2005 - 08:35 AM

I get the same thing on my forhead and sides of my nose. I use a scrub and lotion, it doesn't seem to matter what lotion they all work the same. It usually just keeps it from getting any worse not really any better.
Do you think its Celiac related or do we just have dry skin?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I also just started getting flaking and redness (when I scratch it) on the side of my nose and just above eyebrow. I have psoraisis and thought it was an outbreak, but who knows....it could be something else.
[size=3]BabySnooks
Diagnosed with celiac disease July 8, 2005 by endoscopy and colonoscopy.
Rediagnosed with Celiac Sprue August, 2006 with positive duodenal and small bowel biopsies.

#19 Connie37

Connie37

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 07 September 2005 - 04:51 PM

I have recently been diagnosed and do you have to use gluten-free produts on your skin.  And yes I have never had a problem with my skin unitl I went gluten-free.  I have it around my hair line and above my eye brows.  It is really frustrating b/c I have never had this problem before.  Is this directly related to Celiac diease? and if anyone has any ideas please help  :(

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

#20 Connie37

Connie37

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 07 September 2005 - 04:59 PM

Sorry, I am new at this posting stuff. I have had lots of problems with dry skin. when I quit eating what I was allergic to, it went away. The cod liver oil or Omega 3 may be part of it too. It is in baby food and in animal food to enhance hair and skin and much more.

I do take a cinnamon capsule with it to mask the taste.

I really agree with the ones who said to check for gluten in your products, to cut out all allergy foods and to take the essential oils.

I never believed my skin would look normal again. I also bought a pumice stone by dr scholls and I used a long white paddle Dr scholls makes for feet. My skin is still a little bit of a problem.

The thing is, I was moisturizing over the dry flakes. It never reached my skin. I had to exfoliate first.

There are some skin forums out there. That's where I learned alot. I think its and eczema forum. Sorry I can't remember the exact type of eczema.

God Bless You
Connie

#21 carrielynn

carrielynn

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 15 September 2005 - 11:04 AM

My son also has flaky skin. I don't know if this is a result of going gluten-free or not... he may have had flaky skin before hand. But he definitely has it now, especially on his face.

I was reading Dr. Whitaker's Health and Healing newsletter for this month and there was an item about supplementing with silicon in your diet. It says:

"Although you get silicon in your diet, especially from whole grains, absorption diminishes with age. The first signs of silicon deficiency are brittle hair and nails and loss of skin elasticity. That's why supplementing with the most bioavailable form of silicon, stabilized orthosilic acid, is a great way to improve your skin, hair and nails. In a recent study of 40-65 year old women with prematurely aged or sun-damaged skin, this supplement was shown to improve skin elasticity, reduce wrinkle depth, and ameliorate brittleness in nails and hair. A good brand is BioSil from Jarrow Formulas, available in health food stores..."

What caught my eye is that you get silicon from whole grains. If you're not eating whole wheat anymore, then it seems you're not getting the silicon you used to be getting and maybe that affects skin moisture. I don't know, it just seemed that there could be a connection in my mind.

The PhD nutritionist who diagnosed my son with celiac disease (although he has not been "formally" dx with DH, we just think that's what he has) "prescribed" Biosil for him, so he's been taking that for about a month or so. The PhD said it takes 3 months to notice results, so we're being patient.

I'd be interested in hearing other people's experiences with BioSil (or equivalent).

Carrie

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: