Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Osteoporosis Treatment For Celiacs

3 posts in this topic

I'm looking for a Doctor (anywhere) who is knowledgeable about treating osteoporosis when you have celiac. I live in North Dakota & have been to Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN, but haven't been able to find a doctor knowledgeable about how a celiac metabolizes vitamins & minerals and how best to help your bones rebuild. I've been on Actenol for 2 years with the osteoporosis worsening. Any comments would be appreciated!

This message board has been an invaluable resource. I realized I was lactose intolerant from information gained here so have been dairy free for 2 months; drinking rice milk and just read a message here about it having gluten - wow, you get so focused on eliminating gluten, then corn, then dairy and all of a sudden you slip up on the gluten.

It's so great to have this service.

Ads by Google:

Dear Dee,

I also have osteoporosis and was diagnosed with celiac disease 2 years ago. I go to a natural doctor who started me on cod liver oil & a drop of Vit K1 daily. I eat all organic meats & goat products as well as eggs. He also had me do several vitamin "pushes" which helped with regaining energy & getting enough of B vits. After 2 years of this program I just had another bone density done and I've regrown so much bone that my rheumatologist didn't believe the test (it was done with the same equipment as the first 2 tests). I also started a walking program and occasional weight training. I hope you have the same success and can find a good natural doctor. Katicat

Take a look at the research articles on here and on pubmed - many of them have implicated sufficient levels of magnesium (often low in even healthy american diets) as being _more_ important than calcium levels for celiacs.