This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Ugh

Oriana

Oriana Newbie

So, I have been sticking to this diet very carefully. I've been eating fresh fruits and veggies, rice, etc. I was doing sooo well. today I ate fresh veggies and a can of baked beans. I read the ingredients very carefully. I saw nothing that I did not recognize and nothing was gluten! Then a little while later I had problems. A few hours later. All it could possibly have been was those beans. I thought back about what I ate yesterday and I had nothing but fresh foods that I made myself... I'm just really frustrated because how can you keep from getting glutened if products that do not say they contain gluten still contain it!? Its so frustrating. I guess its just going to take me a long time to learn what I can and can't eat. Now I'm scared to eat anything that isn't a fresh vegetable. grr

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ursa Major Collaborator

You may not have been glutened. Rice and beans sometimes (not always, strangely) give me similar symptoms as gluten. Gluten is a lectin, and lectin foods include all grains (rice is a grain) and beans, amongst others.

Lisa Mentor

I don't know your personal history but generally for most people it takes some time to heal.

It took me several months before I could eat a meal and it followed a "normal" route. If your villi are damaged think of your intestines like a water slide....whooooosh. :blink:

When the villi grow back they are able to absorb nutrients from the food we eat.

YoloGx Rookie
So, I have been sticking to this diet very carefully. I've been eating fresh fruits and veggies, rice, etc. I was doing sooo well. today I ate fresh veggies and a can of baked beans. I read the ingredients very carefully. I saw nothing that I did not recognize and nothing was gluten! Then a little while later I had problems. A few hours later. All it could possibly have been was those beans. I thought back about what I ate yesterday and I had nothing but fresh foods that I made myself... I'm just really frustrated because how can you keep from getting glutened if products that do not say they contain gluten still contain it!? Its so frustrating. I guess its just going to take me a long time to learn what I can and can't eat. Now I'm scared to eat anything that isn't a fresh vegetable. grr

Its possible there was cross contamination, but then again a lot of people with celiac initially can't digest beans very well--except for green ones that is. I still can't eat several kinds of them very often. My ex can't handle them hardly if at all. And yes its true, I find if I have potatoes instead of rice with soaked, slow cooked beans (really a safer route) its way more digestible. Actually if I use lentils or split pea they are easier to digest for me too. I often soak them for 24 hours so they are partially sprouted. I usually slow cook them with some meat which makes them a lot tastier--and then add a bunch of vegetables. This makes them way easier to digest.

Oriana Newbie

I usually eat beans because I don't eat meat. And I haven't had any problems until the baked beans. its weird. I don't really understand if it wasn't gluten then what it was. If it was the fact of beans I don't understand why it wouldn't have happened before this. I didn't even eat rice with them yesterday, I normally do but yesterday I had beans and fresh veggies for that meal. I don't know.. All I know to do is just keep trying and not eat those beans again. grr.

ravenwoodglass Mentor
I usually eat beans because I don't eat meat. And I haven't had any problems until the baked beans. its weird. I don't really understand if it wasn't gluten then what it was. If it was the fact of beans I don't understand why it wouldn't have happened before this. I didn't even eat rice with them yesterday, I normally do but yesterday I had beans and fresh veggies for that meal. I don't know.. All I know to do is just keep trying and not eat those beans again. grr.

Does the can list any natural and/or artificial flavors? It could have been lurking in there. I don't know what brand you purchased but Hormel makes some gluten-free and they have a list on their website of the ones that are.

Darn210 Enthusiast

Also check your can opener as a possible source of cc . . . most of them develop a ring of "buildup". I replaced mine. What brand of beans was it?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Oriana Newbie

Thank you everyone for your replies. I think the brand was Daucy. My roommate took out the trash so I didn't get to check for "natural flavors" but I might go to the store tomorrow and read the can again and see! And make sure thats the brand name! hehe I remember what the can looks like! I haven't eaten that in years. So we'll see! But thanks again everyone!

dksart Apprentice

I usually make sure with the manufacturer if a product is not specifically labeled Gluten-free. The last time I didn't do that, I got poisoned. I was so excited to find a convenience product in Sam's that I could eat. It was chicken Marsala and it said "just add your own pasta." I ran home and made some Tinkyada fettuccine and baked this delicious looking tray of chicken breasts in a deep brown wine sauce with mushrooms. I even doctored it up with some fresh herbs, lemon zest and capers. It took a little over ten minutes to know that it WAS too good to be true. I called the company and they informed me that they sometimes used different thickeners and were not sure if there was wheat in one of them! Plus there was no warning about "this made in a facility...." blah, blah, blah.

Never again. Whole fresh foods and a minimal amount of canned or frozen. No processed, preserved or packaged poisons for me!

Archived