18 replies to this topic

#1 MELINE

MELINE

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 01:34 PM

Hi there....can anyone tell me if there is gluten-free rye bread???
Celiac September 2007

Graves disease June 2008

Candida overgrowth / started treatment November 2008

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Ursa Major

Ursa Major

My grandson Eli, 12 months

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 01:38 PM

Gluten free rye bread is an oxymoron. The three kinds of gluten grains are wheat, rye and barley. Therefore no bread containing rye is gluten-free.

I see you live in Greece. Maybe you can get buckwheat bread where you live.

When I was in Germany last summer I ate buckwheat (Buchweizen) bread that looked and tasted just like pumpernickel bread (black bread in Germany). But they won't export it to America, and refuse to ship it to me here in Canada. :(
I am a German citizen, married to a Canadian 29 years, four daughters, one son, seven granddaughters and four grandsons, with one more grandchild on the way in July 2009.

Intolerant to all lectins (including gluten), nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) and salicylates.

Asperger Syndrome, Tourette Syndrome, Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency), hypothyroidism, fatigue syndrome, asthma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#3 MELINE

MELINE

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 03:47 PM

Gluten free rye bread is an oxymoron. The three kinds of gluten grains are wheat, rye and barley. Therefore no bread containing rye is gluten-free.

I see you live in Greece. Maybe you can get buckwheat bread where you live.

When I was in Germany last summer I ate buckwheat (Buchweizen) bread that looked and tasted just like pumpernickel bread (black bread in Germany). But they won't export it to America, and refuse to ship it to me here in Canada. :(

.......ok....new here I still do not know many things!!!!! I really liked rye bread, but it's ok! Actually I do not know if there is buckwheat bread like the one you described in greece so I'll just have to search for it... Unfortunatelly it seems like I don't have a good doctor....She told me to eat dinkel (spelt) rye bread (I guess you know it) and all the symptoms came back. And then I found out it's not gluten-free...All other breads I've tasted are so awfull tasting.....
Thanx for the response
Celiac September 2007

Graves disease June 2008

#4 mamaw

mamaw

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,921 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 04:02 PM

Hi

I get Fake rye bread from THE GRAINLESS BAKER in Pa. I use it for my beloved rueben sandwiches.... To date it is the best fake I have found. I too, really miss my rye bread...I've learned to enjoy this one ........hth

mamaw

#5 kbtoyssni

kbtoyssni

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,682 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 04:04 PM

Spelt is also not gluten free. Spelt is a derivative of wheat.
Gluten-Free since September 15, 2005.
Peanut-Free since July 2006.

#6 MELINE

MELINE

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 04:17 PM

Spelt is also not gluten free. Spelt is a derivative of wheat.

yes......now I know!!!!!! all the symptoms started coming back only after 3 days of eating 100 gr. / day......amazing
Celiac September 2007

Graves disease June 2008

#7 Ursa Major

Ursa Major

My grandson Eli, 12 months

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 04:23 PM

Isn't it awful that we get false information from doctors, of all people? You would think they are better informed than that.

You are right, almost all gluten-free breads are disgusting. It is better to live without bread than eating that stuff.

I like corn tortillas and tacos, you can do so much with them.

Mamaw, I wished I would live closer to you, I would love to try that bread!
I am a German citizen, married to a Canadian 29 years, four daughters, one son, seven granddaughters and four grandsons, with one more grandchild on the way in July 2009.

Intolerant to all lectins (including gluten), nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) and salicylates.

Asperger Syndrome, Tourette Syndrome, Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency), hypothyroidism, fatigue syndrome, asthma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#8 MELINE

MELINE

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 04:29 PM

Tell me about doctors!!!! I informed my doctor about a wierd eczema on my FACE (really ugly..) after eating dinkel and she told me not to worry...It is psychological.....(???)...Any way, no bread no problems and no disgusting tastes!!!! I definately will try those tortijas you are talking about
Celiac September 2007

Graves disease June 2008

#9 happygirl

happygirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,942 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 04:48 PM

A recent thread about "rye" bread: http://www.glutenfre...showtopic=43109

#10 mamaw

mamaw

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,921 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 12:55 PM

Ursa Major

Hi . they will ship to you plus they have other things also. It certainly isn't the real deal but I've learned to adapt !!!!!!
I used to love grilled cheese on rye & a couple big dill pickle slices on the side....

mamaw

#11 dksart

dksart

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 04:06 PM

Ursa Major

Hi . they will ship to you plus they have other things also. It certainly isn't the real deal but I've learned to adapt !!!!!!
I used to love grilled cheese on rye & a couple big dill pickle slices on the side....

mamaw

Yum! I want some now!
"...I tried to explain to the waiter that I could not have anything with flour so he took the flower off the table..."

Live your life each day
greet the tides my friend
we're all nomads; forever on our way
a journey to the end.

#12 ROOMA4Baking

ROOMA4Baking

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 08:44 AM

Yeah I have made imitation rye bread gluten free using mixes of flours and caraway seeds. Taste pretty close, and toasted you dont even notice the texture much. Does not sell very well due to me calling it Gluten Free Rye Bread. Still trying to improve it, I get the flavor from a mix of the caraway seeds, and adding garbanzo bean and fava bean flour to get a more whole grain flavor. Open to suggestions and share of recipes for improvment.

#13 GF Lover

GF Lover

Melanoma Warrior

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,425 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 10:36 AM

Yeah I have made imitation rye bread gluten free using mixes of flours and caraway seeds. Taste pretty close, and toasted you dont even notice the texture much. Does not sell very well due to me calling it Gluten Free Rye Bread. Still trying to improve it, I get the flavor from a mix of the caraway seeds, and adding garbanzo bean and fava bean flour to get a more whole grain flavor. Open to suggestions and share of recipes for improvment.

Hi Room4 and Welcome to the Forum.  You replied to a thread that is 6 years old and most of the members are not active anymore.  Why don't you start a new topic on Rye Bread.  I bet you will get a lot of feedback.

Colleen

:D HAVE A SUPER SHINY DAY :D

LTES gem 2014

*BiPolar, Major Depression, Anxiety *Hypothyroidism, *Celiac

*Metastatic Melanoma, *Immunotherapy Mitigated Vitiligo, *General Insanity

"We cautiously travel through life to arrive safely at our death" - J. R. C. , my Son.

Are We There Yet? and Dad says...All you have to do it ride it out.

Comments/views/opinions expressed on the site are my own and are not representative of Forum Admin/Owner

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderat

#14 BlessedMommy

BlessedMommy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 04:27 PM

A new thread sounds good! I would like to hear if anyone has tried Canyon Bakehouse rye style bread and what they think of it. :)

~Ruth

My gluten challenge ended February 13, 2010 in the ER (neurological problems diagnosed as TIA after days of severe and chronic headaches)

Gluten free for life since 2/14/2010 since walking and talking are higher priorities for me than a diagnosis :P

I am currently working on getting a diagnosis for my kids' issues and thriving on my gluten free, dairy free, low sugar vegetarian diet. Learning more each year and excited about continuing good health!  :)

#15 kareng

kareng

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,542 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 05:15 PM

Looks like we are resurrecting this thread. I haven't been able to find the Canyon bakehouse kind. I got another kind - Three Bakers . The main flavor is the caraway seeds. I have only eaten it by taking in from the freezer, buttering and making a grilled cheese. It's tasty, but not as good as " real" rye. I had a sample of a gluten-free rye bread on e and it was very good. It was a recipe trying to sell us the expensive breadmaker - Zo I think the name was. Maybe they have a recipe?

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

LTES

You better cut the pizza in four pieces, because I'm not hungry enough to eat six. ~Yogi Berra

smiley-eating-pizza-slice-emoticon.gif

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: