This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Rye Bread gluten-free?

MELINE

MELINE Enthusiast

Hi there....can anyone tell me if there is gluten-free rye bread???

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ursa Major Collaborator

Gluten free rye bread is an oxymoron. The three kinds of gluten grains are wheat, rye and barley. Therefore no bread containing rye is gluten-free.

I see you live in Greece. Maybe you can get buckwheat bread where you live.

When I was in Germany last summer I ate buckwheat (Buchweizen) bread that looked and tasted just like pumpernickel bread (black bread in Germany). But they won't export it to America, and refuse to ship it to me here in Canada. :(

MELINE Enthusiast
Gluten free rye bread is an oxymoron. The three kinds of gluten grains are wheat, rye and barley. Therefore no bread containing rye is gluten-free.

I see you live in Greece. Maybe you can get buckwheat bread where you live.

When I was in Germany last summer I ate buckwheat (Buchweizen) bread that looked and tasted just like pumpernickel bread (black bread in Germany). But they won't export it to America, and refuse to ship it to me here in Canada. :(

.......ok....new here I still do not know many things!!!!! I really liked rye bread, but it's ok! Actually I do not know if there is buckwheat bread like the one you described in greece so I'll just have to search for it... Unfortunatelly it seems like I don't have a good doctor....She told me to eat dinkel (spelt) rye bread (I guess you know it) and all the symptoms came back. And then I found out it's not gluten-free...All other breads I've tasted are so awfull tasting.....

Thanx for the response

mamaw Community Regular

Hi

I get Fake rye bread from THE GRAINLESS BAKER in Pa. I use it for my beloved rueben sandwiches.... To date it is the best fake I have found. I too, really miss my rye bread...I've learned to enjoy this one ........hth

mamaw

kbtoyssni Contributor

Spelt is also not gluten free. Spelt is a derivative of wheat.

MELINE Enthusiast
Spelt is also not gluten free. Spelt is a derivative of wheat.

yes......now I know!!!!!! all the symptoms started coming back only after 3 days of eating 100 gr. / day......amazing

Ursa Major Collaborator

Isn't it awful that we get false information from doctors, of all people? You would think they are better informed than that.

You are right, almost all gluten-free breads are disgusting. It is better to live without bread than eating that stuff.

I like corn tortillas and tacos, you can do so much with them.

Mamaw, I wished I would live closer to you, I would love to try that bread!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

MELINE Enthusiast

Tell me about doctors!!!! I informed my doctor about a wierd eczema on my FACE (really ugly..) after eating dinkel and she told me not to worry...It is psychological.....(???)...Any way, no bread no problems and no disgusting tastes!!!! I definately will try those tortijas you are talking about

happygirl Collaborator

A recent thread about "rye" bread: https://www.celiac.com/index.php?showtopic=43109

mamaw Community Regular

Ursa Major

Hi . they will ship to you plus they have other things also. It certainly isn't the real deal but I've learned to adapt !!!!!!

I used to love grilled cheese on rye & a couple big dill pickle slices on the side....

mamaw

dksart Apprentice
Ursa Major

Hi . they will ship to you plus they have other things also. It certainly isn't the real deal but I've learned to adapt !!!!!!

I used to love grilled cheese on rye & a couple big dill pickle slices on the side....

mamaw

Yum! I want some now!

• 6 years later...
Ennis-TX Grand Master

Yeah I have made imitation rye bread gluten free using mixes of flours and caraway seeds. Taste pretty close, and toasted you dont even notice the texture much. Does not sell very well due to me calling it Gluten Free Rye Bread. Still trying to improve it, I get the flavor from a mix of the caraway seeds, and adding garbanzo bean and fava bean flour to get a more whole grain flavor. Open to suggestions and share of recipes for improvment.

GF Lover Rising Star

Yeah I have made imitation rye bread gluten free using mixes of flours and caraway seeds. Taste pretty close, and toasted you dont even notice the texture much. Does not sell very well due to me calling it Gluten Free Rye Bread. Still trying to improve it, I get the flavor from a mix of the caraway seeds, and adding garbanzo bean and fava bean flour to get a more whole grain flavor. Open to suggestions and share of recipes for improvment.

Hi Room4 and Welcome to the Forum.  You replied to a thread that is 6 years old and most of the members are not active anymore.  Why don't you start a new topic on Rye Bread.  I bet you will get a lot of feedback.

Colleen

BlessedMommy Rising Star

A new thread sounds good! I would like to hear if anyone has tried Canyon Bakehouse rye style bread and what they think of it. :)

kareng Grand Master

Looks like we are resurrecting this thread. I haven't been able to find the Canyon bakehouse kind. I got another kind - Three Bakers . The main flavor is the caraway seeds. I have only eaten it by taking in from the freezer, buttering and making a grilled cheese. It's tasty, but not as good as " real" rye. I had a sample of a gluten-free rye bread on e and it was very good. It was a recipe trying to sell us the expensive breadmaker - Zo I think the name was. Maybe they have a recipe?

Simon-Australia Newbie

I've tried "gluten-free" breads ad infinitum and all of them make me feel pretty average.

I was so determined to find something that would replace the delicious gluteny breads I loved. 

Thinking back, I must have thrown out around two dozen half eaten loaves made by various brands.

As a former bread/butter lover, I skip bread now as a rule.  It's been so long since I've eaten bread now, I really don't miss it any more.

Ennis-TX Grand Master

Yeah I made mind a bit special using a bit of chia, ground chia, ground flax and some other things for extra binding and texture to give it more rye bread like feeling, Works best toasted, been selling it at the local farmers market, along with other gluten free baked goods.I still feel its missing something, I could get some carmalized sugar to ground into a powder to give it that dark color, perhaps add a bit of teff flour?

CarolinaKip Community Regular

Canyon Bakehouse Deli style "rye" Is wonderful! I had to check the bag to make sure it was gluten free. Some Target stores are starting to carry this brand.

kareng Grand Master

Canyon Bakehouse Deli style "rye" Is wonderful! I had to check the bag to make sure it was gluten free. Some Target stores are starting to carry this brand.

I can find this brand. It not the " rye". I even checked in Colorado where it is made!

Archived