arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

How Do You Make Then Understand What It Is!

• Please log in to reply

62 replies to this topic

#16 gabrielle

gabrielle

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 04 April 2005 - 06:21 PM

Rob, :( I am really sorry about your problem. I am going through the same thing you are. I also can't stand this (i'll give you a scenario)- Let's say everyone is ordering a pizza, and they say "Gabby what do you want on your half?" before i can even open my mouth to respond they say, "Oh that's right, you can't have it." It's bad enough to have a gluten intolerance, then to be reminded of it constantly makes it harder. I really hope you can talk to your friends and family and explain to them exactly what this disease is- and I hope you continue to feel healthy :) .
Gabrielle
Lancaster, Pennsylvania

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 Guest_nini_*

Guest_nini_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 April 2005 - 06:48 PM

2 years into this gluten-free diet, my family is finally starting to get it... For the longest time they would think that they were doing it right, but inevitably I would be asking them about what all they had put in a particular dish and they would be listing off all of these great gluten-free ingredients and then they would get this look of "OH CRAP" and then say "well, I guess you can't eat it, I put flour in it"!!!!! Like what do they think flour is?????

#18 plantime

plantime

My two handsome grandsons

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 05 April 2005 - 06:25 AM

When I went to church, everything seemed to center around food. Ladies meetings were buffets, dinners after service, parties at restaurants. The ladies would only go to Pizza Hut, then wonder why I wouldn't go with them. Even after explaining it to them 25 times, they still didn't get it. I think maybe they don't *want* to get it.
Dessa

The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you." Numbers 6:24-25

#19 Guest_nini_*

Guest_nini_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 April 2005 - 01:17 PM

fortunately at my church at least 3 other ladies there are on the gluten free diet, so I at least have a "posse" of support! They love my dishes that I bring for potluck and they are always asking me if I provided a desert for after church! LOL!

#20 Rikki Tikki

Rikki Tikki

Tavi

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 16 April 2005 - 07:26 PM

well said Ianm and Kaiti! :D
Nostaglia is a file that removes the rough edges from the good old days!!!!

" 15 years of it's stress!"
"blood work show's a disease called celiac,
but it can't be that because it's rare!"
Diagnosed via blood and biopsy 2003

Not a medical professional just a silly celiac
offering support, my
experience and advice

#21 Guest_nini_*

Guest_nini_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 April 2005 - 04:48 AM

we had a dessert party at church last night and the other gluten-free ladies were so tickled to see that I had brought 4 scrumptious gluten-free desserts that they could dig into and enjoy along with everyone else's non gluten-free desserts! I made a decadent chocolate cake, a strawberry glazed angel food cake, a spice cake with cream cheese frosting, and a giant chocolate chip cookie! What fun! I got so many "thank you's" from the other gluten-free ladies and even from the non gluten-free people for making such yummy treats... I made a special point of letting each one of the gluten-free ladies know which desserts I had made that would be safe for them! One of the ladies has only been gluten-free about 3 months and she said that she was just resigned to either cheat last night or pick on raw carrots, broccoli, and celery, so when I showed her the gluten-free goodies she said "aaaaah I am in heaven!!!!"

What was neat was when the word started getting around about the delish gluten-free desserts, I had quite a few people want to know what that (gluten-free) meant, and they were genuinely interested (because they had already tried the food and decided it was awesome!)

funny that most of the people at my church are "getting it" before my family does!

#22 KaitiUSA

KaitiUSA

Be the change you wish to see in the world!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 18 April 2005 - 05:28 AM

Nisla-That's great!

I went to a relatives house to eat and the only thing I could have was salad...they made this whole big dinner and then offered it to me and I couldn't have it and they tried to make me feel bad(didn't work though) They had things that I would normally have but they added stuff with gluten into it <_< you just can't make some people understand...whether they just don't get it or they don't want to get it i don't know.

I gave my grandma a brand of ham I could have as long as the label does not say wheat,rye, barley, oats...she got that brand and I ate it. Shortly after I was sick come to find out she got that brand but it had wheat starch right on the label.
Kaiti
Positive bloodwork
Gluten-free since January 2004
Arkansas

Jeremiah 29:11- "For I know the plans that I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for you to prosper and not harm you,plans to give you a hope and future"

"One Nation, Under God"

Feel free to email me anytime....jkbrodbent@yahoo.com

#23 skbird

skbird

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 18 April 2005 - 07:27 AM

It turned out we didn't go to my MIL's for dinner last week but my husband came up with a great idea - we're going to make a crock pot of delicious stew then call his mom and say "hey, we made some stew, we thought we could bring it over and have some with you..." and that would take care of things. After getting sick last week from gluten and having it last all week my DH understood the gravity (more than before, at least) of the situation and why it's important to keep me gluten-free. I think that is a great idea.

Of course it won't work for a big family meal but I will probably offer to bring something in the future, for everyone to share, should that happen again.

Stephanie
Diagnosed by food challenge, 10/04
Gluten-free since 10/04
Gluten-sensitive genes: HLA-DQ 1,3 (Subtype 6,9)
Interstitial Cystitis, 7/07
Fibromyalgia, 6/11

#24 Guest_nini_*

Guest_nini_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 April 2005 - 02:55 PM

I think the big pot of stew is a great idea, I've done something similar in the past... I'll make up a pot roast meal or shepherds pie (mashed potatoes, ground beef, corn, cheese), or something like that, really easy and not OBVIOUSLY gluten free, just naturally gluten free, and take it over to my moms or my sister's. If we are having a big family meal, I just plan on doing a LOT of cooking before I go, making a good variety of foods that my daughter and I like and that we don't mind sharing, and I'll just set it out with all the other food, as long as I keep the serving spoons separate and I know which foods I brought, then I don't usually have to explain... except for the time when I had to explain to my uncle why we couldn't try his apple pie, after he slaved and slaved over a hot stove all day :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

#25 lotusgem

lotusgem

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 18 April 2005 - 03:37 PM

This thread reminds me of the bad old days when we lived in the same town as my mother-in-law. Oy! Without delving too much into the crummy family dynamics, suffice it to say that she was not inclined to be loving to the wives of either of her sons. I had, at the time, only recently figured out that I was allergic to casein, so no dairy foods (Didn't know yet about Celiac.) I swear, the woman would go out of her way to serve all manner of dairy desserts, ice cream reigning supreme. She would bring out something that was a total no-no for me, knowing full well that I couldn't have it, and when I would say for the umpteenth time that I was allergic, she'd pull an ugly face and put an apple in front of me. Later, she gave me an ice cream scoop for a gift. Arghhhhh!
Paula

#26 Rikki Tikki

Rikki Tikki

Tavi

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 18 April 2005 - 05:34 PM

I don't know, it seems like I don't even try to explain it anymore. I just let people assume that I am on the Adkins diet, or have an allergy and if the food is in question I just don't eat it. It just seems like it get's too complicated to try to explain it. I just get tired of the "oh, your allergic to wheat." or, "on the Adkins diet?" and I weigh 115 lbs.

offering support, my
experience and advice

#27 KaitiUSA

KaitiUSA

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 18 April 2005 - 06:33 PM

I don't know, it seems like I don't even try to explain it anymore. I just let people assume that I am on the Adkins diet, or have an allergy and if the food is in question I just don't eat it. It just seems like it get's too complicated to try to explain it. I just get tired of the "oh, your allergic to wheat." or, "on the Adkins diet?" and I weigh 115 lbs.

Yeah, sometimes I feel like letting people assume away but my mouth won't let me let the oppurtunity to talk about celiac go by.....
Kaiti
Positive bloodwork
Arkansas

Jeremiah 29:11- "For I know the plans that I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for you to prosper and not harm you,plans to give you a hope and future"

"One Nation, Under God"

#28 Rikki Tikki

Rikki Tikki

Tavi

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 18 April 2005 - 06:41 PM

I like that, real friends don't let celiac's eat gluten. Think that will be my new mantra!

offering support, my
experience and advice

#29 KaitiUSA

KaitiUSA

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 18 April 2005 - 06:52 PM

So true... I love that too!!
real friends will help and encourage you to stick to the diet..not try to talk you into having a little bit or treat you like your crazy...
Kaiti
Positive bloodwork
Arkansas

"One Nation, Under God"

#30 magaka

magaka

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 April 2005 - 07:50 PM

This was interesting reading to me because I have had the same problems. Social situations are often awkward. I feel like I put people on the defensive when I ask ingredients and am often met with the response "what happens to you if you eat it?" I tell them for me it's like smoking--nothing happens to me on the outside but it is harming me on the inside." That usually satisfies. But people seem to think that I am making much too big a deal about this and being much too picky and carrying it to the extreme--like I enjoy doing this to myself! I've had three different people say that they or a relative have been cured of it. When I tell them there is no cure they insist that there is. Oh well!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: