Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Too Much Fiber?

4 posts in this topic

My daughter has been gluten free for 7 days. We saw huge improvements after day 3. However she is now having bloody stools and more mucus. Could this be from too much fiber? Anyone else see things get worse before getting better? She has been diagnosed with Solitary Rectal Ulcer Syndrome and she has experienced bleeding quite frequently in the past. Thank You.

Ads by Google:

Is she still consuming dairy and soy? Those could be the culprit.

Yes she is still eating dairy. That might have to be the next thing to go. I did ask her GI about a milk allergy about a year ago and she said that she was tested and was not allergic. Is this something that I should test her for or just take her off dairy for a bit and see? Any suggestions?

Take her off dairy. The villi (fingerlike projections along the intestines that increase its surface area to maximize absorbtion) are what is damaged when a celiac eats gluten, and the tips of the villi are what produce lactase, the enzyme that digests milk sugar. So even if your daughter is not allergic/intolerant to casein (the milk protein)almost all celiacs will have a problem digesting dairy until they are healed. As for soy, I don't really know why it bothers us, but it does in many people. I substituted all milk products with soy products, but then soy started to bug me...I am now soy-lite.

However, I would also call your doctor in the morning...I'm not familiar with your daughter's condition, but bloody stools can be a cause for concern. Good luck.