Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Caravella Limoncello

6 posts in this topic

Has anyone else ever felt a reaction to Caravella Limoncello? I read that it was distilled from grain but haven't felt subject to the effects of grain in vodkas, so I indulged last night. (Just a few sips!) So I know I didn't get sick from overdoing it. Just wondering if anyone has had an experience. I haven't found any info online regarding its containing gluten or not, and am trying to track down the culprit. Thanks :)

Ads by Google:

i would love to know the answer to this as well. i have a bottle of this in my freezer from before my diagnosis in november and i haven't had a sip since prior to that. it is so yummy.

If it's distilled and not brewed, it should be ok. I drink other distilled from barley alcohol (Shochu from Japan) with no problem.

Just don't know how Caravella Limoncello but hope to find out before I get to Italy in July!

Has anyone else ever felt a reaction to Caravella Limoncello? I read that it was distilled from grain but haven't felt subject to the effects of grain in vodkas, so I indulged last night. (Just a few sips!) So I know I didn't get sick from overdoing it. Just wondering if anyone has had an experience. I haven't found any info online regarding its containing gluten or not, and am trying to track down the culprit. Thanks :)

Limencello of all kinds should be gluten free. It's made of Lemon rinds, simple syrup (sugar and water) and vodka and Everclear (180 proof plain grain alcohol) The alcohol is safe for Celiacs because it is heated at a high enough temp. I make my own for fun but the type found in Italy and hear in the states is safe.

Enjoy!

i would love to know the answer to this as well. i have a bottle of this in my freezer from before my diagnosis in november and i haven't had a sip since prior to that. it is so yummy.

I'm pretty confident that I was exposed to gluten from the limoncello...but I wouldn't describe the reaction as too terrible...I nominate myself to be a guinea pig twice...if I am still into this experiment by the weekend, I'll let you all know what happens :)

One of my stepdaughters brought me a bottle of lemoncello from Italy last year. I don't remember what brand it was, but it was quite tasty. I didn't get any unwanted reactions. I also drink sour mash bourbon whiskey and Coke with no problems.

best regards, lm