5 replies to this topic

#1 gfgeo

gfgeo

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 10:09 AM

Has anyone else ever felt a reaction to Caravella Limoncello? I read that it was distilled from grain but haven't felt subject to the effects of grain in vodkas, so I indulged last night. (Just a few sips!) So I know I didn't get sick from overdoing it. Just wondering if anyone has had an experience. I haven't found any info online regarding its containing gluten or not, and am trying to track down the culprit. Thanks :)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 njbeachbum

njbeachbum

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 12:12 PM

i would love to know the answer to this as well. i have a bottle of this in my freezer from before my diagnosis in november and i haven't had a sip since prior to that. it is so yummy.
Joe

Dx Crohn's Disease - December, 1993
Positive Blood Test - November, 2007
Positive Biopsy - December 21, 2007
Gluten Free since December 3, 2007
Crohn's Medication stopped on January 17, 2008

#3 kenlove

kenlove

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,814 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 12:44 PM

If it's distilled and not brewed, it should be ok. I drink other distilled from barley alcohol (Shochu from Japan) with no problem.
Just don't know how Caravella Limoncello but hope to find out before I get to Italy in July!

Has anyone else ever felt a reaction to Caravella Limoncello? I read that it was distilled from grain but haven't felt subject to the effects of grain in vodkas, so I indulged last night. (Just a few sips!) So I know I didn't get sick from overdoing it. Just wondering if anyone has had an experience. I haven't found any info online regarding its containing gluten or not, and am trying to track down the culprit. Thanks :)

"Ryo tatereba mi ga tatanu"

If we try to serve both sides, we cannot stand our own ground.

Japanese proverb

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#4 winki4

winki4

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 05:29 PM

Limencello of all kinds should be gluten free. It's made of Lemon rinds, simple syrup (sugar and water) and vodka and Everclear (180 proof plain grain alcohol) The alcohol is safe for Celiacs because it is heated at a high enough temp. I make my own for fun but the type found in Italy and hear in the states is safe.
Enjoy!

#5 gfgeo

gfgeo

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 12:20 PM

i would love to know the answer to this as well. i have a bottle of this in my freezer from before my diagnosis in november and i haven't had a sip since prior to that. it is so yummy.

I'm pretty confident that I was exposed to gluten from the limoncello...but I wouldn't describe the reaction as too terrible...I nominate myself to be a guinea pig twice...if I am still into this experiment by the weekend, I'll let you all know what happens :)

#6 larry mac

larry mac

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,197 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 08:05 PM

One of my stepdaughters brought me a bottle of lemoncello from Italy last year. I don't remember what brand it was, but it was quite tasty. I didn't get any unwanted reactions. I also drink sour mash bourbon whiskey and Coke with no problems.

best regards, lm

gluten-free 12-18-06

colonoscopy, upper GI
blood, urine, stool tests, prometheus panel
positive endoscopy/positive duodenal biopsies (severe villous atrophy, high intraepithelial lympocytes)
diagnosed celiac disease by Gastroenterologist Andrew R. Gottesman, 12-18-06

"Sobriety sucks. That's why they invented booze in the first place." Denis Leary - Rescue Me

Beware the chocolate of Chiapa

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: