5 replies to this topic

#1 lpowmacback

lpowmacback

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 03 January 2005 - 03:20 PM

Has anyone ever become itchy after using a shampoo with wheat or barley in it?

I have not been officially diagnosed as having celiac disease, but my endocrinologist suspects I do have it based on my history.

In the past I'd used my husbands shampoo and I remember getting itchy in my arm pits later in the day after shaving with it (yes, I use shampoo to shave with) in the morning. I'd stopped using it a year or more ago because I figured something in it gave me an allergic reaction. Now since I face the possibility of having celiac disease, I read the ingredients and it contains barley! I tried it again... this morning I shaved with it and now, this evening my legs and tops of my feet are itchy. There is no rash (even when it bothered my arm pits, there was no rash). Has anyone had this reaction?

Thanks!

Lisa

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 judy05

judy05

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 03 January 2005 - 06:05 PM

Before going gluten-free the skin on my scalp itched all the
time, no rash, just itched. After going gluten-free I read all the labels
and my shampoo (Nexxus) contained wheat. I stopped using
it and switched to Garnier Fructis and now no more itch.

The one resolution, which was in my mind long before it took the form of a resolution, is the key-note of my life. It is this,always to regard as mere impertinences of fate the handicaps which were placed on my life almost at the beginning. I resolved that they should not crush or dwarf my soul, but rather be made to blossom, like Aaron's rod, with flowers-Helen Keller

Judy- Gluten Intolerant

#3 darlindeb25

darlindeb25

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,324 posts

Posted 04 January 2005 - 03:08 AM

;) yup--i was using tressemme--it has wheat in it, so i stopped using it and decided to use it on my car--i splattered some on my legs, not thinking i didnt rinse it off and i broke out in hives in less then 1/2 hour--i read the ingreds in all of my body items--lotions, shampoo (i use pantene), soaps, perfumes, make-up--you name it, i read it--and dont lick envelopes either--otay---deb
Deb
Long Island, NY

Double DQ1, subtype 6

We urge all doctors to take time to listen to your patients.. don't "isolate" symptoms but look at the whole spectrum. If a patient tells you s/he feels as if s/he's falling apart and "nothing seems to be working properly", chances are s/he's right!

"The calm river of your life approaches the rocky chute of the rapids - flow on through. You are the same water. The rocks cannot hurt you. Remember, now and then, that you are the water and not the boat. Flow on!

#4 kvogt

kvogt

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 04 January 2005 - 09:44 AM

I used a hair gel that contained wheat. It made my head itch constantly. I stopped using it and the itch cleared up about a month later.

#5 MySuicidalTurtle

MySuicidalTurtle

"Like a rolling stone?"

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,663 posts

Posted 04 January 2005 - 11:05 AM

I get a rash and itchy scalp, too, when I use Aussie shampoo (wheat clearly labled on the back).

Especially being glutenfree I am more sensitive. When I am at shows and someone spills their beer on me (and I can't go to the washroom) I get a rash on my skin, blech!

#6 plantime

plantime

My two handsome grandsons

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 04 January 2005 - 11:37 AM

Yep. My conditioner had wheat protein in it, and my scalp itched horribly when I used it.
Dessa

The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you." Numbers 6:24-25

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: