7 replies to this topic

#1 AmF

AmF

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 02:03 PM

Well its my first week, day 5, and I am feeling depressed. I don't have anything specific to relate it to other than the diet and irrational anxiety I'm having (in stores, while driving). I hope this passes soon, makes it hard to get things done. Its really hard not to eat out too...teriyaki chicken and macaroni salad, garden burger...ugh. Avoiding soy sauce in sauces is a tough one.

I'm new to the board and recently posted under another topic of when my suspected symptoms started: http://www.glutenfre...showtopic=44285

If what is being said about serotonin being produced in the gut and those with chronic issues are affected, what can one do to improve this in addition to a gluten-free diet? I know lack of sleep contributes greatly to my anxiety and depression periods. I've read several posts with people taking l-glutamine, is this a good one to take? how much, how often? I've been taking aloe, acidophilus, and digestive enzymes for some time now.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Ursa Major

Ursa Major

My grandson Eli, 12 months

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 02:21 PM

You might have several issues going on. You might be suffering from withdrawal symptoms, which is common when starting the gluten-free diet. Depression is not uncommon as part of withdrawal, because your brain is not happy with you taking away its feel-good drug (gluten, which acts like an opioid on the brain in susceptible individuals). On top of that comes the anxiety of having to learn to navigate your way around all the gluten everywhere, and it is no surprise that you feel depressed.

Try not to eat out for a bit until you learn the ropes. Start with eating naturally gluten-free foods like meat, vegetables, fruits nuts etc. until you feel better and your depression and anxiety subsides, so you can think clearly.

You'll be okay, it just takes a while. Be patient with yourself and ask questions here!
I am a German citizen, married to a Canadian 29 years, four daughters, one son, seven granddaughters and four grandsons, with one more grandchild on the way in July 2009.

Intolerant to all lectins (including gluten), nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) and salicylates.

Asperger Syndrome, Tourette Syndrome, Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency), hypothyroidism, fatigue syndrome, asthma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#3 missy'smom

missy'smom

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,953 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 04:13 PM

Sorry to hear that your struggling.

I like gardenburgers too. I make and freeze them for quick meals. The recipe I use is a garbanzo bean base with onion, garlic, parsley, nuts etc. There are many recipies out there. I can post mine if you'd like. SunshineBurger makes 3 varieties-southwestern, herb, and original, that are good.
Me: GLUTEN-FREE 7/06, multiple food allergies, T2 DIABETES DX 8/08, LADA-Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults, Who knew food allergies could trigger an autoimmune attack on the pancreas?! 1/11 Re-DX T1 DM, pos. DQ2 Celiac gene test 9/11
Son: ADHD '06,
neg. CELIAC PANEL 5/07
ALLERGY: "positive" blood and skin tests to wheat, which triggers his eczema '08
ENTEROLAB testing: elevated Fecal Anti-tissue Transglutaminase IgA Dec. '08
Gluten-free-Feb. '09
other food allergies

#4 AmF

AmF

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 04:50 PM

thanks ursa major and missy's mom. hopefully there will be many more good days to offset these bummer ones!

mm- I would love the recipe for your gardenburgers, what do you use for buns? I have only seen spelt as an alternative at the Health Food Store here. I'll look for sunshine brand burgers next time I'm there. It is nice to be able to have some convenience foods when times are busy.

I haven't 'loved' the wheat free breads I've tried in the past. I guess I will be a bread baker yet! Do you know any good recipes? The best type of flour to use? I know there are many online but I imagine they can be hit or miss like any recipe. I think I saw a category for this on this forum...

#5 aikiducky

aikiducky

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 03:37 AM

I'd limit the amount of gluten free bread I eat in the beginning. You'll get better nutrition from veggies, fruit, meat, fish. One thing I like to do to substitute for bread is pancakes, you can easily replace gluten flour with for example buckwheat and cornstarch/rice flour for pancakes. That way you can keep it to a few simple ingredients.

I find taking a vitamin B complex helps me with depression, just make sure you take one that is gluten free. And I also feel better when I make sure to get good fats, sardines, mackerel, avocados, olive oil, rapeseed oil. Green leafy veggies.

Starting on the diet can be up and down, so don't panic if you feel worse sometimes. Good luck!

Pauliina

#6 missy'smom

missy'smom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,953 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 06:07 AM

Here's the recipe I use for buns. I'll get back to you with the burger recipe. I couldn't find it last night :( but I have to track it down because it's one of my staples.

Crumpets
1 1/2 c. *gluten-free flour mix
1 tsp. xanthan gum
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1 1/2 tsp. egg relacer(optional)
1 1/2 Tb. sugar
1Tb. dry yeast granules
1 c. lukewarm water
1 egg, room temp.
1/2 tsp. vinegar
3 Tb. margarine, melted

Grease 6 English muffin rings and place them on a greased baking sheet. Mix together the dry ingredients. Mix together the wet ingredients. Beat together, mixing well. Spoon or pour into rings. Let rise in a warm place 'till batter doubles. Bake in preheated 375 oven 18-20 min. or 'till lightly browned and pulla slightly away from mold.

They usualy rise quickly and rise more in the oven. When I make them, they overflow a little but no worry. Another lady I know doesn't have this problem. I think it's because of a difference in they way we measure the flour.

If you have problems with things rising, you can jump start the yeast by adding it to the warm water with the sugar and letting it sit 5-10 min. before adding the other ingredients.

You can slice them in half or use one whole one for the top and one whole one for the bottom bun.

*gluten-free mix
2 parts(or cups) white rice flour
2/3 parts(or cups) potato starch
1/3 part(or cup) tapioca starch

Mix and store in a container.
This is the basic mix that many people use for many recipes

Me: GLUTEN-FREE 7/06, multiple food allergies, T2 DIABETES DX 8/08, LADA-Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults, Who knew food allergies could trigger an autoimmune attack on the pancreas?! 1/11 Re-DX T1 DM, pos. DQ2 Celiac gene test 9/11
Son: ADHD '06,
neg. CELIAC PANEL 5/07
ALLERGY: "positive" blood and skin tests to wheat, which triggers his eczema '08
ENTEROLAB testing: elevated Fecal Anti-tissue Transglutaminase IgA Dec. '08
Gluten-free-Feb. '09
other food allergies

#7 AmF

AmF

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 09:49 AM

thank you for the recipe Missy's mom, I'm excited to try it!

pauliina~I fortunately am not a big bread eater. bagels were my downfall though, quick and easy. Occasionally with italian food I would have french bread...my favorite kalamata olive bread. Now I am just looking for a good recipe for the occasional sandwich or toast. I'll have to experiment with olive bread. I do eat a lot of veggies. Dinner is almost always steamed veggies, rice, and chicken or fish. I've severely limited wheat in the past but never entirely (all gluten) or for any real length of time so it is not a total shock for me to eat this way. Now its gotten to the point where I can't not afford to see if this will help my body and mind! I take liquid B vitamins, I really like it in liquid form. I'm due to pick more up today so I will check the different brands for wheat (good to know) ~thanks for the advice.

#8 aikiducky

aikiducky

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 03:07 AM

Well it sounds like you're well on your way! I hope you'll be feeling better soon.

Pauliina

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: