Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Celiac.com Store.

Support Group In Fresno, Ca

11 posts in this topic

I've noticed a few people looking for support in the Fresno area and would like to get information on starting a group. I've been dagnosed for almost a year and would like to share my experience and also receive the benefit of other peoples experience. Can someone direct me to a starting point?

Ads by Google:
I've noticed a few people looking for support in the Fresno area and would like to get information on starting a group. I've been dagnosed for almost a year and would like to share my experience and also receive the benefit of other peoples experience. Can someone direct me to a starting point?

Hi, Glueless! Mark Duran and Shannon Davis are self-employed "consultants for dietary modification," dba "Gluten Alternatives" in Fresno, California. Although I've never worked for them and am not trying to get any business for them (for I've never even met them!), I am introducing you to what I know about them as a possible "starting point." Duran and Davis have given a monthly talk at the Whole Foods Market (WFM) at Palm and Shaw avenues. Please call WFM to determine the time they'll be giving their next talk, and perhaps I'll see you there!

In the meantime, if you'd like to share your email address with me, I'd be happy to send you a gluten-free grocery shopping guide I've been writing.

Paul

("pjmaxx")

Hi,

You can contact the Celiac Sprue Association to start a support group or be a resource for your area. I have a group in Manteca and have had people call me from the Fresno area or drive to my meetings so Fresno really could use a group. I think there used to be a group but no longer.

Hi everyone... kind of desperate here... getting married next March and having a ton of trouble finding a baker who will work with me and my gluten-free needs. Some have suggested a separate grooms cake for us to cut at the reception, but I would really like to be able to eat the real cake at my own wedding. Any advice or suggestions?

How about Sweetie Cakes Company in Santa Barbara, California? (Tel.: 805.685.4662 ; web site http://www.sweetiecakesco.com )

A note from Cat Wellington, Owner, Sweetie Cakes Co.:

"We make amazingly delicious Organic, Fair Trade, Vegan baking mixes for people with food allergies. I started the company after I found out that I am allergic to eggs, dairy, wheat, peanuts and almonds. My twin sister and I are allergic to the same things and have been suffering for years trying to find yummy substitutes for the foods we love. Voila! Finally there is cake. The best gluten free cake we've ever tasted. And believe me we've tried them all....cake mixes, home made recipes, adapted recipes...you name it, we've tried it. After hundreds of cakes I finally perfected it. And I am able to use all organic ingredients. I believe we have the only Organic Vegan Gluten-Free mix out there. We are very proud and excited to offer our cake mixes online and soon in stores near you [the nearest being "Crumbs Cakery" in Santa Barbara - P.J.]

"We now offer Chocolate, Vanilla and Spice with organic sugar.

"And sugar-free Chocolate Ganache, Gingerbread and Greek Spice"

Mmmm, yummy! :P

To order your wedding cake, contact Crumbs Cakery at 5392 Hollister Avenue, Santa Barbara, California 93111 (Tel.: 805.692-crumbs)

Hey, Glueless!

Since summer began, I've been looking for a physical place where a celiac support group could meet in Fresno, California. For now, we have only metaphysical places. These are two Yahoo! discussion groups (http://groups.yahoo.com): one is MultipleFoodAllergySupportGroup; and the other is glutenfreefresno.

Whole Foods Market's corporate web site contains a statement that the meeting rooms at its grocery stores are available for such a support group. Though making numerous contacts of the WFM on Shaw Avenue, I've been unsuccessful in learning about the rental procedure, much less securing it for an organizational meeting. It would appear that a private-for-profit organization has gotten exclusive rights to use the room there. We can discuss this matter off line, if you'd like.

Let's just find ourselves another meeting place! Options for gluten-sensitive diners abound between River Park (W side of Blackstone Ave.) and River Park Shopping Center (E side of Blackstone Ave., a.k.a. Villagio). In-N-Out Burger, which has a location N of River Park Shopping Center (NW corner of Blackstone & Nees), is a low-price option. Recently, I noticed that construction is now underway in the lot adjacent to that In-N-Out. It will be a Chick-Fil-A ( http://www.chick-fil-a.com/#gluten ), whose menu is also on the frugal side, as is Wendy's Old-Fashioned Hamburgers. The nearest Wendy's location is tucked in the middle of River Park, north of Barnes & Noble (312 W. Cromwell Ave.; phone: (559) 435-9685).

Gluten-sensitive diners have two other, though pricier options nearby: P. F. Chang's (http://www.pfchangs.com/menu.shtml) on the SE corner of Blackstone and Nees avenues. To the west, across Blackstone, is Elephant Bar Restaurant with its "Lo' Carb Platters" intended for Atkins dieters, but gluten-free just the same. These platters may be low in carbs but are not low in price: Grilled Fresh Fish Platter, market price; Fire Grilled Beef Tri-Tip, $10.50; Center Cut New York Steak, $17.95. (Too pricey for me, folks!) Each is served with saut

Hi everyone... kind of desperate here... getting married next March and having a ton of trouble finding a baker who will work with me and my gluten-free needs. Some have suggested a separate grooms cake for us to cut at the reception, but I would really like to be able to eat the real cake at my own wedding. Any advice or suggestions?

Hi, I live in berkeley which is a drive for you but.... there is a fantastic gluten-free bakery in Oakland.

It is called mariposa bakery on Telegraph ave. They have real cakes which are premade

and frozen. One is vanilla with a raspberry layer in between the layers and the other is

chocolate with a ganache of chocolate in between the layers. They may not be fancy-smancy

wedding cake looking but they are bakery cake looking in appearance and they are

groovy-good.

HTH

Janice.

. . . Can someone direct me to a starting point?

Why, I'd be happy to! -> http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/glutenfreefresno/

I also have wanted a support group in Fresno for some time. I have talked to several people about this and I'm willing to help organize a group. I think the first things we need to do is to get a list of potential places and see how many people would be in the group, when we have an approximate number of people, we can see which one of the places would be best. We need to also check if these places would allow food there. I know of some gluten free food companies that send support groups samples and items for their refreshments at their meetings.

This is just a few things for us to think about. What are your opinions about my ideas?

Nantucket

I would like to invite you, Nantucket, to visit and to consider joining Gluten Free Fresno, a Yahoo! discussion group at http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/glutenfreefresno/

Sincerely,

Paul

And how about Cakes2Love at P.O. Box 8547, Fresno, California 93747, Fax: 559/252-5976, Email: caketown1@comcast.net .

Cakes2Love makes gluten-free wedding cakes