This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Kidney Pain

Misa

Misa Rookie

Hi

When I accidentally eat gluten, I first get intense burning pain in the stomach area, but then my kidneys start to hurt bad also. To me this is weird. Could the pain and inflammation from the small intestine spread to the kidneys? Has anyone else experienced this?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

itchygirl Newbie

Celiac disease has been linked to Spincter of Oddi dysfunction (its a little valve type thing in the small intestine, where the bile and digestive enzymes enter the intestine from the liver and pancreas) which can cause all kinds of weird pain-back, abdomen, shoulder. I thought I was having a heart attack, it made my left shoulder hurt so bad.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

I have had my kidney impacted by celiac. When glutened they bleed and they also throw more protein. I try to drink more water when glutened but haven't found anything other than gluten free and time that helps.

Misa Rookie

Thank you so much to both of you for answering.

I did a selftest bought at the pharmacy and it showed protein and blood in my urine. I have previously been checked for infection which was negative so the doctor doesn't know what the cause is. So I thought perhaps it is caused by gluten accidents.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

I did a selftest bought at the pharmacy and it showed protein and blood in my urine. I have previously been checked for infection which was negative so the doctor doesn't know what the cause is. So I thought perhaps it is caused by gluten accidents.

Please do make sure that it is linked. You may want to test on a fairly regular basis to make sure it resolves after the gluten clears your system. It sounds like you and your doctor are on top of this but if things escalate (ie. edema) be sure to get back to him.

itchygirl Newbie

My Mom has glomerular nephritis-its an autoimmune thing which makes her have blood and stuff in her urine

Open Original Shared Link

Maybe your doctor might want you to see a urilogist for more testing?

NorthernElf Enthusiast

Celiac disease has been linked to Spincter of Oddi dysfunction

Really ?!?!??! I have never read this before. My doc is such a dolt ! When all my issues started 3 years ago I had a scope (after having being gluten free for 3 months) and this was my doc's conclusion - dunno how many 'faulty sphincter' jokes we've made up ! Why, at the ripe ol' age of 35, I would suddenly have a dysfunctional sphincter never made sense to me...along with a sudden issue with gluten and all the symptoms that went with it (reflux, cramps, sinus pain, headaches, fatigue, joint aches, etc....) - after an intense virus hit me. She pretty much refused to believe I have celiac after doing the transglutamase blood test (yep, just that one, not the full panel). She didn't even tell the gastro to look for celiacs during the scope she ordered to look at reflux damage and I was gluten free, not knowing I shouldn't be...from what I understand biopsies might have still picked up celiac at this point.

I too thought I was having kidney pain and was told by my doc it was related to dyspepsia (stomach pain)...maybe she got that one right. :huh:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

itchygirl Newbie

Pancreatitis, spincter of oddi problems, celiac have been linked for years...for example...

Gastrointest Endosc. 1999 Dec ;50 (6):823-7 10570344 (P,S,E,B) Cited:1 Celiac disease and recurrent pancreatitis.

[My paper] R S Patel, F C Johlin Jr, J A Murray

Department of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, University of Iowa College of Medicine, Iowa City, Iowa, USA.

BACKGROUND: Celiac disease is associated with pancreatico-biliary disease. Postulated mechanisms include reduced gallbladder emptying due to impaired cholecystokinin release and pancreatitis due to malnutrition. We hypothesize that celiac disease may also be associated with pancreatico-biliary abnormalities due to duodenal inflammation and papillary stenosis.

Makes sense. Inflamation in the small intestine, the oddi thingy is right there in the small intestine :) If you search on those terms a bunch of stuff comes up.

UR Groovy Explorer

Hi,

I have a 'kidney disease' called Nephrotic Syndrome (Minimal Change Disease), which has seen significant improvement since going gluten free, though I cannot say for sure that gluten is the cause of the disease. There is a member of this forum who is in remission from this syndrome, and is confident that it is because they've eliminated gluten, and I would tend to agree with this person.

I spill protein & have, at times, had hematuria.

At last testing, there were no blood cells found and the proteinurea was the lowest it has been upon testing, ever. My kidney function has never been a problem.

It would probably be a good idea to get your blood & urine tested for things like kidney function, albumin (this is a protein found in the blood plasma), and cholesterol and that sort of thing, just so you know where you stand, and to make sure that other things aren't going on (I say get the tests since you'be found protein & blood in the urine already). Although, this may be a temporary thing because you were glutened, or any other reason under the sun .?.

In my case, I can say, for sure, that the last time I was glutened, I experienced flank pain.

itchygirl Newbie

Just footnoting fajitas :D

Nephrotic Syndrome Associated with Celiac Disease

A Report of Five Cases

A. Gimenez Llort, J. Vila Cots, J.A. Camacho Diaz, A. Vila Santandreu, A. Concheiro Guisan, L. Garcia Garcia

Pediatric Nephrology Department, Integral Unity of Sant Joan de Deu-Clinic Hospital, University of Barcelona, Spain

Nephron 2002;92:950-0 (DOI: 10.1159/000065576

UR Groovy Explorer
Just footnoting fajitas :D

Hi Itchy,

Is this a case study (please excuse my ignorance)?

If so, how can I access it? I'd love to see this.

k

itchygirl Newbie

Its in the journal Nephron and you can't get the whole article without a subscription, but if you have a university nearby they should be able to get you a copy :)

Here is a link with more content you might find interesting

esp. this bit:

Other associations of Factor V inhibitors include malignant disease, autoimmune diseases such as Sjogren's syndrome and celiac disease, antibiotics (especially aminoglycosides), blood transfusions, tuberculosis and pregnancy [2,9].

This may be interesting too...there is a lot of stuff on celiac and kidneys maybe somebody smarter than me would like to sort it out? :(

Three patients had associated renal disease; two of them had history of nephrotic syndrome in childhood, and another patient had active albuminuria (2.8 g/ 24 hours) and renal biopsy showed IgA nephr
UR Groovy Explorer
Its in the journal Nephron and you can't get the whole article without a subscription, but if you have a university nearby they should be able to get you a copy :)

Here is a link with more content you might find interesting

esp. this bit:

Thank You :)

k

Misa Rookie

Thank you all for your comments and opinions, much appreciated

Archived