3 replies to this topic

#1 GlutenGalAZ

GlutenGalAZ

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 10:24 PM

I want to get into baking different breads and cookies.
What is the difference between Xanthan Gum and gluten free Corn Starch?
They are both used as thickeners so can I use the corn starch instead of the xanthan gum? Or is corn starch just mainly for soups and gravies?

Thank you :)
Rebecca

Partial Gluten Free March 2007
Completely Gluten Free February 2008
Tapioca Starch/Flour Free April 2008
No MSG July 2008
Cut out Nitrates//Nitrites January 2009
Problems with Tomatoes and Potatoes -- Cut out Nightshades Aug '09

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Ursa Major

Ursa Major

My grandson Eli, 12 months

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 01:21 AM

I believe that xanthan gum is used as a binder especially if using rice flour. It isn't a thickener. Corn starch can be used for thickening gravy, puddings etc., but also makes flour mixes lighter. You can not use it in place of xanthan gum. I think you can use guar gum and xanthan gum interchangeably.
I am a German citizen, married to a Canadian 29 years, four daughters, one son, seven granddaughters and four grandsons, with one more grandchild on the way in July 2009.

Intolerant to all lectins (including gluten), nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) and salicylates.

Asperger Syndrome, Tourette Syndrome, Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency), hypothyroidism, fatigue syndrome, asthma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#3 cruelshoes

cruelshoes

We've heard nothing at all about the growing tomato menace..

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 05:34 AM

I want to get into baking different breads and cookies.
What is the difference between Xanthan Gum and gluten free Corn Starch?
They are both used as thickeners so can I use the corn starch instead of the xanthan gum? Or is corn starch just mainly for soups and gravies?

Thank you :)

Xanthan gum is a thickener (it increases the viscosity of liquids) and emulsifier (it keeps things from separating). A very small amount can add much needed structure to gluten free baked goods.

Corn starch is also sometimes used as a binder, but it has nowhere near the power that xanthan gum has. Adding a teaspoon of xanthan to a batch of cookies will completely change it. Adding a teaspoon of cornstarch will do nothing at all. Xanthan also thickens with no heat, while cornstarch has to be heated to thicken. Xanthan will not separate from a liquid when allowed to stand, but cornstarch definitely will.

Don't try to sub cornstarch for xanthan. A better sub would be guar gum, a similar product to xanthan gum.

Hope this helps.
-Colleen
Dx 8/05 via bloodwork and biopsy (total villous atrophy)
13-year old son Dx 11/05 via bloodwork and biopsy
Daughters (16 and 5) have tested negative via bloodwork

A woman is like a tea bag - you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water. - Eleanor Roosevelt

#4 GlutenGalAZ

GlutenGalAZ

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 08:23 PM

Thank you so much for the replies :D

I have been cooking a lot but really want to try making some different kinds of breads and cookies. Some of the cooking products are a little confusing so I appreciate the input. Im gonna print this page off and put it with my cooking/baking notes.

Thanks again! :)
Rebecca

Partial Gluten Free March 2007
Completely Gluten Free February 2008
Tapioca Starch/Flour Free April 2008
No MSG July 2008
Cut out Nitrates//Nitrites January 2009
Problems with Tomatoes and Potatoes -- Cut out Nightshades Aug '09

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: