Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Xanthan Gum And Corn Starch

4 posts in this topic

I want to get into baking different breads and cookies.

What is the difference between Xanthan Gum and gluten free Corn Starch?

They are both used as thickeners so can I use the corn starch instead of the xanthan gum? Or is corn starch just mainly for soups and gravies?

Thank you :)

Ads by Google:

I believe that xanthan gum is used as a binder especially if using rice flour. It isn't a thickener. Corn starch can be used for thickening gravy, puddings etc., but also makes flour mixes lighter. You can not use it in place of xanthan gum. I think you can use guar gum and xanthan gum interchangeably.

I want to get into baking different breads and cookies.

What is the difference between Xanthan Gum and gluten free Corn Starch?

They are both used as thickeners so can I use the corn starch instead of the xanthan gum? Or is corn starch just mainly for soups and gravies?

Thank you :)

Xanthan gum is a thickener (it increases the viscosity of liquids) and emulsifier (it keeps things from separating). A very small amount can add much needed structure to gluten free baked goods.

Corn starch is also sometimes used as a binder, but it has nowhere near the power that xanthan gum has. Adding a teaspoon of xanthan to a batch of cookies will completely change it. Adding a teaspoon of cornstarch will do nothing at all. Xanthan also thickens with no heat, while cornstarch has to be heated to thicken. Xanthan will not separate from a liquid when allowed to stand, but cornstarch definitely will.

Don't try to sub cornstarch for xanthan. A better sub would be guar gum, a similar product to xanthan gum.

Hope this helps.

Thank you so much for the replies :D

I have been cooking a lot but really want to try making some different kinds of breads and cookies. Some of the cooking products are a little confusing so I appreciate the input. Im gonna print this page off and put it with my cooking/baking notes.

Thanks again! :)