#16 tyki

tyki

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 05 January 2005 - 12:36 PM

veggf,

For all I know my "nutmeat bread" could be your potica. You see my maternal grandfather immigrated to the US from Morovia (part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire). He liked to refer to himself as a Bohunk. Part of his family lives now in Prague.

It was his mother who taught my grandmother to make the nutmeat bread. With the way so many things were Anglicized when they came to the US, my great-grandmother may have just translated the name of what she was making to be more understandable to my grandmother. When they arrived in the US my grandfather's name was changed from Josef to Joseph, and his mother's name was changed from Josefa to Josephine.

So perhaps instead of clinging to the name potica, she just said she was making nutmeats and bread, aka nutmeat bread. A variation that the family used to make (unfortunately I didn't get the recipe for the filling) was to use poppy seeds instead of ground walnuts.

After writing this, I looked up potica on the web and read through several recipes, the filling I am using is not quite as complex as the recipes I saw on the web, but it looks amazingly like what I have been fixing for years.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 celiac3270

celiac3270

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 05 January 2005 - 01:49 PM

What I wouldn't give to eat a hot dog or hamburger on a bun. I don't even like hot dogs but they look soooo good on a bun. Hamburgers just aren't the same with out a bun either. I just had to sit through lunch and watch everyone at the table eat burritos. 
PastorDave try the Chebe Pizza Crust. I think I like them better than regular crust. 

Definitely try chebe...i'd recommend making the crust using the regular chebe bread mix, though, rather than the mix for the pizza crust....turns out better using that one to make the crust in my opinion.

#18 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 05 January 2005 - 09:29 PM

cynical - you can still have hot chocolate. plain powdered cocoa has no dairy (or gluten), and you can make it with soy milk if you want it creamy. many dark chocolates also contain no dairy (or gluten). I particularly like Scharfen-Burgher's cocoa powder.
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#19 cynicaltomorrow

cynicaltomorrow

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 05 January 2005 - 10:43 PM

cynical - you can still have hot chocolate. plain powdered cocoa has no dairy (or gluten), and you can make it with soy milk if you want it creamy. many dark chocolates also contain no dairy (or gluten). I particularly like Scharfen-Burgher's cocoa powder.

Oh yeah, I know. I have made it with soy milk and chocolate syrup. My friend wanted me to get it from a gas station though, haha.

#20 jendenise

jendenise

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 06 January 2005 - 10:12 AM

It's been a while since I've been here... Quick question does most regular hot chocolates (like the kind from quicky marts) have gluten in them??? Thanks

#21 darlindeb25

darlindeb25

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,324 posts

Posted 07 January 2005 - 04:03 AM

;) it shouldnt--i worked at speedway and their hot cocoa didnt--i read it to be sure, ubt i never drank it--i dont like hot cocoa much--sorry-----deb
Deb
Long Island, NY

Double DQ1, subtype 6

We urge all doctors to take time to listen to your patients.. don't "isolate" symptoms but look at the whole spectrum. If a patient tells you s/he feels as if s/he's falling apart and "nothing seems to be working properly", chances are s/he's right!

"The calm river of your life approaches the rocky chute of the rapids - flow on through. You are the same water. The rocks cannot hurt you. Remember, now and then, that you are the water and not the boat. Flow on!

#22 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 07 January 2005 - 05:31 AM

None of us can guarantee you that some unknown hot chocolate is gluten-free, but all that I've checked have been. Stephens, Quick, Swiss Miss.

richard

#23 mrsfiles

mrsfiles

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 08 January 2005 - 11:47 AM

Hi everyone,
I'm pretty new to Celiac (2 1/2 years). I cried the first time I tried the frozen pre-made gluten-free breads out there. Nothing I did would make them palatable enough for me. My wonderful husband bought me a great programmable bread machine and I have since learned to make a great variety of breads with Bette Hagman's gluten-free Gourmet Bakes Bread recipes. With the machine, all it takes is throwing in the ingredients, starting the machine (which is programmed to skip the 2nd kneading & rising that gluten-free breads do not need), and within 3 hours, I have tasty bread at my disposal. My sandwiches do not fall apart, and I use any crumbs for gluten-free croutons or gluten-free bread crumbs. Take heart! It does get a little easier with time, research and advice from fellow Celiacs. :D

#24 sunflower

sunflower

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 10 January 2005 - 05:08 AM

A variation that the family used to make (unfortunately I didn't get the recipe for the filling) was to use poppy seeds instead of ground walnuts.

tyki,

there is a similar Polish cake with poppy seed filling. It is called makowiec (pronounced makovietz), though I'd translate that as "poppy seed cake" rather than "bread"... It is also a traditional Christmas cake in Poland.

Here are a few recipes that I found on the Web, although they are not gluten-free, I think you could try making them with a gluten-free flour substitute ( I never had enough patience to try to make gluten-free yeast dough myself, but the filling should be OK ;) ).

here's a recipe for makowiec and for the poppy seed filling (and for a few more Polish cakes):
http://www.recipezaar.com/r/15/192/173

and a recipe for potica ;)
http://www.razzledaz...ipes/potica.htm

I hope you enjoy it ;)

#25 once and again

once and again

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 14 January 2005 - 02:05 PM

I never liked bread, pasta or pizza that much - so I really don't miss them that much. What I really miss is being able to bake cookies and biscuits. I used to go through 20 lbs. of flour between Thanksgiving and New Year's! <_< I didn't eat that much of it - gave most of it away. This is my first holiday season since being diagnosed and I didn't trust myself not to eat cookies warm from the oven. Rugelach, pecan tassies, triple chocolate cookies with nuts.... I missed the tradition. Maybe next year I'll feel comfortable enough that I can still bake for others and not be tempted to taste.

#26 minibabe

minibabe

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 14 January 2005 - 03:00 PM

I was always the one in my family to do all of the dessert baking. I would make at least 10 different cookies for each holiday and this was my first christmas with out any cookies. But I told my family that it was to tempting and I would never bake somthing again unless it was edible for me.

#27 celiac3270

celiac3270

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 14 January 2005 - 04:58 PM

celiac3270, I just had a gluten-free frozen pizza from Amy's---plain cheese, but still pretty good.

I've tried gluten-free replacements...I think I like Chebe the most so far, but right now acidic foods really bother my stomach, so I haven't even had a gluten-free pizza in months....which in itself doesn't entirely replace the old pizza. Thanks, though :D

#28 VegasCeliacBuckeye

VegasCeliacBuckeye

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 21 January 2005 - 09:31 PM

Cynical,

Swiss Miss Hot Chocolate is gluten-free.

I called the company..double check if you want -- it has been good to me.

#29 mela14

mela14

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 22 January 2005 - 06:40 AM

My dad is a baker. I grew up in an Italian bakery!!! I worked there after school and during college to make money. I worked in the back helping dad to bake things and in the front catering to my customers! It was hard work but I loved the sense of being with the family and working! The hoidays were the best! We made so many differnt types of bread, rolls, sweet bread, muffins, pastries and cakes. Of course I would treat myself to something every day and when dad made a new recipe I had to try it! My brother followed in his footsteps and has 2 bakeries and a bread factory...dad works with him. He's 72 and still going. It's his passion. The other day I called him for a recipe and tried to subsitute potatoe flour for the regular flour. What a nightmare! It was horrible! I had to thorw it our. Each week I've attemted a new recipe and each week it was not edible!
maybe I can get my dad to work on creating something that I can eat.....just a dry bisquit will do. The problem is that in addition to the gluten ...I can't tolerate, milk, soy and eggs!!! I tried adding the ener-g products but I just couldn't get them right!
Does any one have a recipe for something sweet that I can get my dad to make for me?
I haven't attempted the bread yet so if you have any suggestions please let me know!
I'll always miss going into the bakery and not being able to try something....but just walking in there and connecting with my famiy is fun enough! I love the energy there! I just have to say no when they want me to sample things!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
thanks,
Mel
mela14@optonline.net

10 years of abdominal problems, incorrectly diagnosed with Endometriosis / suffered 7 surgeries. Total hysterectomy 2 years ago!
Fibromyalgia, Chronic Fatigue, Interstitial Cystitis ,IBS, Migraines, Primary Immune Deficiency to name a few. Finally realizing that food intolerances make them all worse!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: